Post Thanks / Like
    So i was cleaning the interior of my Saab 9-5 aero wagon(black) when my dad opens the garage door and the trunk was open. So now I got a nice scratch down the center of my trunk... Down to the metal in a couple parts. I am in Boston and winter is nasty do i wait until the spring or get it done asap. Thanks

oh its my first post!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You should clean it and put something there before it starts to rust, Just some touchup paint is better than nothing, bllack is easier than most collors to fix with touchup paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s a non-metallic black and you`re down to the metal grab a primer pen and fill the spots you can see metal in with primer asap. After that you can take your time touching them up - you just don`t want metal exposed. You can find primer pens at just about any auto store or body shop/
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a body shop my dad recommended and he said that the entire trunk will need to be re-painted $200. I will post some pictures later and see what you guys think. Its just a thin scratch but yeah its down to the metal in a couple spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope they know what they`re doing, that`s a pretty reasonable price. If it were mine, and if I were planning to drive it all winter, I`d do some stop-gap measure now and get it repainted in the spring.

I`d use a rust converter on the areas that`re down to metal. See if you can find the Rust Avenger pen-type device, it works well. Just let the touchup paint handle things until spring and then get it reshot. The fresh paint will need to cure a month or three before you can wax it and I`d rather be in that situation during nice weather (as opposed to winter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks that exactly what I was thinking. Yeah apparently he is good... So will touch it up and wait for spring

Post Thanks / Like
    After I apply the touch up paint should I apply some wax ontop of that or just let it chill... Should I wetsand too? Also whats the working temps for it.. Since its cold up here and my garage is not heated

Post Thanks / Like
    Touchup paint should apply the same in cold temps - no worries there. If you apply it carefully odds are you can get by without a wetsand/polish since you`re having it re-sprayed in the spring. Then again if you`re looking to experiment you could wetsand and polish just for fun (well, I consider it fun anyway!). Otherwise let the paint dry for a couple days then you can wax right over it. Oh, make sure to clean around the scratch with some alcohol/water before touching up - it`s a major hassle if you apply touchup without removing wax first.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Thread Information