Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m headed to KC for some dyno tuning tomorrow . . . stay tuned for before/after dyno graphs.

Current engine mods:

Turbo-back 3" exhaust

STi injectors

VF-34 turbo

Cobb StreetTuner running "off-the-shelf" map

The standard ECU map that Cobb supplies for my modifications is supposed to make around 320hp at the crank (estimated based on whp + AWD drivetrain losses). Of course, this will vary as every car is slightly different. The Cobb-supplied maps are relatively conservative, and I haven`t done any tweaking on my own. I`m hoping that the tuner will be able to pick up at least 20 hp and some torque to go with it.

I`ll try to post up the dyno results tomorrow afternoon.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, You should`ve gone for an 18G/20G. A buddy of mine has a bugeye 03 and he first went with a VF-34 setup. It didn`t provide the power that he was looking for. He eventually switched to a 20G (and later a GT35R). The way he said it was something like, you can only tune so high on a smaller turbo while you can detune a large turbo and achieve the same result while still having the capability to go crazy later. I would guess that you went this route because the access port is a plug and play item. he went with a full emanage setup so he didn`t really have to stick to certain mods like you do with the cobb item. I suppose for the ease of use and install with the cobb item, its good for most people though. I wish you luck!
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went with the VF-34 for a couple of reasons, one of which was the availability of the Cobb map. I`m not looking for all-out horsepower, I want some low-end grunt as well, and that means sticking with a turbo that will spool at a reasonable RPM. I was looking for a good compromise between more hp and as little lag as possible. All things considered, I think I ended up with the right turbo for what I wanted out of the car. For now, anyway.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, chris (my friend) doesn`t daily drive the car so he just went all out race with his setup. APR Stage 4 Block (but with darton sleeves), GT35R Turbo, STi 6-speed, cusco differentials, cams, large FMIC, etc etc. It has costed him alot, but I must say, a 450 AWHP launch is amazing. Ill be patiently waiting for your results

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neothin
    Ya, chris (my friend) doesn`t daily drive the car so he just went all out race with his setup. APR Stage 4 Block (but with darton sleeves), GT35R Turbo, STi 6-speed, cusco differentials, cams, large FMIC, etc etc. It has costed him alot, but I must say, a 450 AWHP launch is amazing. Ill be patiently waiting for your results
    Uh, and

Nice mod list. Pretty much every else on the road is going to be a Scooby-snack for 0 - 60. Has he taken it to the track for 1/4 mile times yet? And, out of curiosity, is he set up for road race or straight line?

Yeah, my WRX is my daily driver, so reliability is a big issue for me. That, and the stock tranny will only deal with so much (I really envy your friend`s 6-speed). Shorter, stronger gears are on my to-do list (probably this summer), but I don`t think I`ll be able to justify the $$$ for the STi 6-speed. Hmmm. I gotta go buy a (winning) lottery ticket . . .

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you considering the 40t turbo?

With the mod list you have, I would hope for high 2`s. Good luck and take a video .

Post Thanks / Like
    nice, be sure to post the numbers
    [quote name=`DocHoliday`]I recently had SSR2.5 on toast for breakfast, was tasty and it polished my teeth![/QUOTE]

:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    the last time he went to the track he got a 12.1, but that was with the 20g and stock engine. He hasn`t gone to moroso since he changed the turbo and the block. His suspension is stock except for some tein springs and needless to say it`s hard to get the car to go forward correctly with his power on a relatively stock suspension setup. He wants to get into road racing at moroso, sebring, etc but personally i think his turbo is too laggy for that. It isnt fully spooled until almost 4k, but he won`t hear any of it from me. he also can drive worth anything. There`s a section of winding roads to get to my house and I`ve outpaced him in my tC. His next rounds of upgrades are going to be coilovers, sways, strut bars, and underbody bracing. Then a roll cage. He says after that he`ll be done, but i doubt that, especially considering i showed him the godspeed turbo kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tort, how did the dyno go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neothin
    Tort, how did the dyno go?
    A little disappointing, to be honest . . . the baseline run showed some lean spots, and the AFR was all over the place (not a very smooth curve). The tuner ended up spending time making the map safer rather than trying to gain more power. As this was part of a club "dyno day", I was only able to get about an hour of tuning time.

I`ve posted the graph of the final run below. The hp numbers are about the same as before the tune, but the AFR line looks a lot more reasonable now. 243 hp, 215 ft-lb:

The numbers are pretty much in line with what Cobb says the map should make (adjusting for the difference between Mustang and Dynojet dynos), so at least there doesn`t appear to be anything seriously wrong. Assuming a 25% drivetrain loss, the numbers translate to a little more than 300 hp at the crank.

I`ve got a few pictures and a short vid that I`ll post up when I get the camera back from my gf. The shop owns a Skyline GTR that they had been tuning the night before . . . it made 1028 hp. I have a few pictures of the Skyline`s engine bay (and a severe case of turbo-envy).

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Tort: I think the safer, smoother curve speaks higher volumes than just a high HP/TQ #. I`m sure the car feels much better now.

(anxiously waiting for the pics/vid)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, smoothness is a lot better than big #s. Especially if it`s your daily driver.

Friend of mine use to have a 91 Mitsu GSX with all the HKS options available at that time and a few other toys. It was a really fun car until we blew a turbo. That was a sad night on the strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    sheesh, you gain 80 ft/lbs of torque from 2500-3200, can you say spool up? Any reason for it going rich in the upper rpm`s or was it just because you didn`t have the time for a proper tune? At least you gain horsepower all the way to redline and your torque doesn`t drop off as the rpm`s increase like my old car did. With it being rich at the end, I`m sure your going to be able to pull out a good bit more power from the tuning once its done. Post up when you get your real tuning done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neothin,

I believe the baseline run showed it running too lean up top, and the A/F line was very irregular throughout (jagged, lots of spikes and dips). The tuner spent most of the time making the A/F curve smoother/safer. Had there been more time, he probably would have pulled some fuel back out up top.

There`s talk of a two-day dyno weekend for the Omaha Subaru club early next year so we`ll have more time for tuning. Also, there`s another shop in KC that is a licensed Cobb tuner. Unfortunately, they have no dyno, and do mostly street tuning. The two shops are on good terms, though, so I may see if I can get the tuner from the Cobb shop to come over and tune my car on Dieman`s dyno, maybe do a little street tuning, too.

All-in-all, it`s pretty decent. The car is making somewhere between 80 and 100 hp over stock with only bolt-ons.

Tort

"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -- Corky Bell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tort
    All-in-all, it`s pretty decent. The car is making somewhere between 80 and 100 hp over stock with only bolt-ons.

and THAT makes it all worth it. What kinda $$ have you thrown at the car to get to this point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information