Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SilverStars

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hoens posted previously look to be good, although some of their claims seem to be pushing the limits of practicality/functionality.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    I put in some Night Hawks and I have to say I like the Silverstars color better. But the Night Hawks do look pretty bright on the road even though when you look at them head on with an OEM on one side and Night Hawks on the other they look the same. But I still miss that whitish bluish hue that the Silverstars gave off, too bad that they only lasted 11 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    <<Attempting not to rain on any parades>>

My experience is that Sylvania Silverstars equals marketing hype and nothing more. Side by side comparison of the silverstars on my Accord and my Odyssey show ZERO improvement. I put a new Silverstar in the driver`s side and left the passenger side as the OEM bulb (for giggles one night). Drove down a street with zero lighting and found there to be no visible difference at all. Pissed that I just forked out $80 (2 cars) for nothing I came back installed the passenger side bulb. Next night was bull@#$ing with my neighbor whom owns the same exact model van and we took the vans down the same street, parked them next to each other and compared the light output. He walked out in front of the vans in the dark until he disappeared from the headlights of both of them. At exactly the same point he disapeared from view. Again, this proved zero benefit from $40 bulbs.

To make matters worse one of the stupid Silverstars burnt out on the Odyssey 5 weeks after I installed them. I trashed the good silverstar and bought normal bulbs vowing to never waste my time or money again. The silverstars on the Accord lasted a little over 6 months before the passenger side burnt out. Again I replaced with normal bulbs.

My experience is that Sylvania Silverstars suck. Marketing has hyped people into believing that they are better than other bulbs when in reality they are only better than worn out bulbs. I learned my lesson for wanting poseur blue HID wanna-be`s on my car.

<<your results may vary but I doubt it>> :angry

:hide:
    1986 Porsche 951 Arena Red

2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 Satin Silver

2003 Honda Odyssey EXL-DVD Starlight Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible that Honda OEM uses bulbs similar to the Silverstars? I`m sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

I`m still amazed at the light that my Silverstars provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote to the company complaining about how my second pair lasted 5 months. They sent me out a free set, but once these are gone I`m going back to my OEM bulbs. I like the white light I just can`t justify the extra cost. I also question their effectiveness in snow and rain. I actually think the OEM work better for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you know who makes the OEM bulbs?? When I go to Autozone or somewhere, they have Philips, Sylvania, and GE.

They also have long-life versus `normal` life. Which bulbs are you guys preferring over the Silverstars?? Just curious, as there are many options...

Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was cruisin the net the other day and ran across this website Eurodezigns. Has anybody tried these? Thought about ordering a set. :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Blubird - More than likely, those bulbs are either colored, which allows the light to have the 6000K color to it, or they run a higher than normal current through the bulb, which decreases bulb life. I don`t see how those are any different from typical "blue" headlight bulbs that you`ll find at local stores. The gas content may be a bit different composition.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Max it also said on the website they have a lifetime warranty, that if they burn out they replace them. Which isnt too bad I dont think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they state that the bulbs are 50-state legal?

Is the warranty guaranteeing that the bulb will never burn out? I have a hard time believing that these bulbs will never burn out.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesnt say that they are 50 state legal on their site. But it does state to contact the warranty department if they burn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Silver stars in both of my trucks. have had zero problems so far. much better than the stock bulbs. the 91 has Hella H4 conversion. my fog`s and driving lights are PIAA.
    Fun=Fuel

91 JIMMY 4DR 4WD Project Truck
    01 Blazer 2DR 4WD-sold
    14 Sportage AWD
    12 Forte work/ 14 CRV g/f/ 16 CRV Mom

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had Silverstars in my 98 S-10 for well over two years now. One blew out after a year so I bought another pair and have yet to replace another bulb. I see better with these compared to the OEM replacements (Sylvania in most S-series). Anything reflective showed up much quicker with the Silverstars. I have to disagree with the Consumer Report and believe it is because their sample included too few cars. I can see just as well with my Silverstar low beams as I can with my OEM high beams.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Im trying to decide on new bulbs and have it narrowed down to Philips ExtremeVision or Silverstars. Anyone ever used the Philips bulbs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blubird00
    Im trying to decide on new bulbs and have it narrowed down to Philips ExtremeVision or Silverstars. Anyone ever used the Philips bulbs?

Stick with the Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars. Both are excellent bulbs.
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information