Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car covers

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking for a good out door car cover. Here in SOCAL I live where it gets foggy and moisture collects on the car at night. I was wondering what kind of cover I should get to protect my car from this moisture and the rest of mother nature. Thanks, Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand correctly, now the very best material for outdoors is Weathershield HD. Previously I would`ve recommened a two cover method : Weathershield over a Noah ( as I have) but the WS HD owners I talked to say the single cover alone does block out all mositure while remaining breathable.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought the regular Weathershield also blocked out moisture and was breathable too? or does the HD just does it better?

anyways, yeah, i`d also recomment a Weathershield.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long Term Outdoor: WeathersheildTM HD- primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from water, dust, tree sap, while providing long-term UVR protection and maximum weatherproof protection from a multi-layer breathable (heavyweight) fabric.

All Weather: WeathersheildTM - single layer construction, maximum weatherproof, superior dry time, breathable, scratch-less, durable, easy care, and packs small and light made from a durable breathable polymer fabric. Provides protection from UVR, acid rain, dust, dirt, intense sunlight and wind/storm proof up to a force 8 hurricane.

I prefer the lightness of the non-HD Weathersheild that allows easy trunk storage

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hirosh

i thought the regular Weathershield also blocked out moisture and was breathable too? or does the HD just does it better?

anyways, yeah, i`d also recomment a Weathershield.

From what I`m told, HD blocks it out completely and remains breathable

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

I prefer the lightness of the non-HD Weathersheild that allows easy trunk storage

JonM

Then you would like the HD too, it`s very light and fits perfectly in the trunk with or without the storage bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about when the vehicle is garaged, what`s the choice product now?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    A flannel cover, I think Dustop is an example of one.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all of the info, auto anything has the best prices so far on both weather shield versions.

Oneness of horse & rider Jinba ittai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    About 4 years ago I bought a Weathershield cover and wound up sending it back because the thread in the seams was quite harsh and scratched the paint. I also didn`t like the fact that it was so light it was actually hard to put on and take off the car. If the wind caught it off it blew!

I replaced it with the Noah. It`s bulkier but I only use it for winter storage in the garage. Trunk storage or outdoor use isn`t a priority. The few times I did use it outdoors it worked great. For storage, I can put the Noah on in November and take it off in March and the car looks just as I did when I first put it away. The Noah keeps out all dirt and moisture and I live in a humid area (quarter mile from the ocean). It`s also very easy to put on and take off and no scratches!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 7000RPM

About 4 years ago I bought a Weathershield cover and wound up sending it back because the thread in the seams was quite harsh and scratched the paint. I also didn`t like the fact that it was so light it was actually hard to put on and take off the car. If the wind caught it off it blew!

I replaced it with the Noah. It`s bulkier but I only use it for winter storage in the garage. Trunk storage or outdoor use isn`t a priority. The few times I did use it outdoors it worked great. For storage, I can put the Noah on in November and take it off in March and the car looks just as I did when I first put it away. The Noah keeps out all dirt and moisture and I live in a humid area (quarter mile from the ocean). It`s also very easy to put on and take off and no scratches!

The Weathershield HD is heavier than the regular Weathershield and more effective from what I am told. You are correct about the seams which is why Pats300zx and I both sent our HD`s in to have the seams lined with flanel which solved our problems.

About two months ago, I fully detailed my car and put the car cover on it right before I left for vacation. The cover ended up staying on the car for about six weeks (no, this isn`t my everyday car) and when I finally pulled it off the car looked *exactly* like it did when I put it on. This is even after loads of wind, rain, and even saw dust galore from my neighbor`s renovation.

The *only* drawback to this cover, is that it is built with such extreme weather blocking capabilities that it is a little harsh textured, and feels a little rougher than I would like but so far (knock on wood) I haven`t seen a single scratch or sign of marring anywhere, and even if I do eventually see one, the fact that my car is now 100% protected from the elements makes it worth it`s weight in gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    The WS being too light and not 100% precipitation resistant was the reason I used both it and a Noah. I must have gotten my two covers right around the time WS HD wasn`t out or came out shortly after. Nevertheless, I am quite pleased with the two cover combo. I put them on take them off together, not one following the other.

Remember to use a fastener like a bungee cord with plastic ends to secure the cover in windy conditions. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a Weathershield HD on my 2005 Chrysler 300C, and am very happy with it. It`s better than the cover I had for my last car - don`t recall exactly which one it was, but it was one of the good "name brand" fabrics. It is COMPLETELY watherproof. It blocks UV completely.

My only complaints relate to the coarseness of the material and concerns about abrasiveness (so far, so good, after 8 months) and that it`s so lightweight that it can be a challenge to handle in anything more than a slight breeze... (My last one was considerably heavier.)

"Yeah, It`s Got a HEMI!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the awsume feedback. I went with the WS HD. Hopefully others have made use of my question to the crowd.

I ordered it from autoanything.com

again, thank all of you for the help in picking the car cover. Next is the Zaino process and I think she`ll be all protected from mother nature... now I just have to worry about the california drivers... so rude sometimes. I drive my new car like I am riding my motorcycle... always watching out for the idiots... that`s not too relaxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information