Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone else have this problem where they live? I`ve been looking at getting a luxury car for a year or two now, and I think I am finally convinced that it is the only option. I own a modified Talon TSi. It had a racing exhaust and many other mods already done before I bought the car. It`s clean, not rice-like, and very stock looking.

A few weeks ago my friends and I met up in a parking lot to make plans, three cops surround us and start writing tickets. They said "look at these cars, they think they`re Fast and Furious!" One knew my car was turbo, the rest thought it was just a slow import that I tried to modify or something. My friends also have imports (a 95 integra and a first gen talon, but they`re both stock and very clean looking). The cops kept going on and on about how illegal our cars were, even though we were just sitting in a parking lot. I just paid my ticket yesterday... $150 for loud exhaust and front plate, even though my front plate was visible in the front window and the exhaust is below the legal limit. My friend with the Integra is on his third exhaust ticket and countless other equipment violations.

Two days ago four more of my friends were driving around, each got pulled over. (2000 Golf, 1996 Talon, 1998 Eclipse, 1997 Talon, all stock looking as well... just imports) Two loud exhaust tickets, three front plate tickets, and one friend that got out of it all because he`s a cop himself.

Basically... I think I`m either forced to remove all visible performance mods, or just sell my car and buy the (used) SLK230 I`ve always wanted or a (used) Range Rover... the difference in price will probably just make up for the cost of tickets my Talon will get me over the next few years the way this is going. A 18-yr-old driving one of the above cars is probalby going to get stopped a lot around here too, but if the car is completely legal I`d love to see what they would try to give me a ticket for.
    Signature modified because it was over the limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive faced many tickets for loud music, tint, front plate. Yes its frustrating, its up to you if you want to change. I never have, i love music too much to give up my stereo jsut because i get an occasional ticket. Hopefully i wont get any ticket tho in a yr or so as i have 2 more semesters in my Law Enforcement degree to complete and then ill be looking for work in a dept.

I sure as hell wont give tickets for meaningless **** like that tho, honestly who cares, unless the exhaust is really loud, and loud music at night in residential area`s, that does get annoying.
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should read up on the vehicle code and laws in your state/area. You should be able to get a copy of the vehicle code at your local DMV for free or a few bucks. Focus on areas that the cop said were illegal. If he said the exhaust is too loud, then ask him what the proper db level is for the exhaust. Did he measure that db level infront of you to show you that its above the legal limit? There is no way in hell he can just use his ear and say its too loud. If he didn`t check it infront of you, then have your exhaust checked to see if it goes over db level stated by the cop. If the cop says your car is "illegal," then thats a very broad term to use. He must tell you why its "illegal." They can`t be just pulling sh*t out of their asses. They have to give you specifics. The front plate should have been a fix-it ticket.

Regarding the loudness of the exhaust, you mean to tell me that the cop would pull over a 66 Shelby Cobra for having a loud exhaust? I bet the Cobra`s exhaust would be a lot louder than yours.

If one of your friends is a cop, like you stated. Have him explain these offfenses in detail. If he`s much of a friend, he should be able to help you out.

Also, if you say that these cops pick on you and your friends, then a bunch of you should be able to get together and file a complaint against the cops or see if you can take them to court. Cops are not immune from the law.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my friend works with the police, he is not an actual cop yet, though he does have a badge. The funny part is my car was OFF at the time. He just thought it looked loud. I was going to fight it, until the day before I went to court 4 more friends got pulled over for the same thing. From what i hear it is the Mayor`s orders. I also talked to another friend that said the judge did nothing even when he provided paperwork showing his exhaust was under the legal limit.

(Oh, and the friends that got pulled over recently had their cars off as well, the officer told them to turn the cars on so they could hear the exhaust)

It`s not just us either... it`s the entire police force against everyone that drives an import under the age of mid-twenties or so. It reminds me of stories another friend told of getting pulled over on his racing motorcycle all the time for nothing, then the cops realized he`s 35 even though he looks like young 20`s and let him go.
    Signature modified because it was over the limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    it is really up to the cops in the area.

In many cases, I do not see the point of having loud music or exhaust. Sure, you have the freedom to do what you want in your car, but at least respect others enough to close the windows so others can enjoy their music too.

Same for the exhaust. My totally stock SUV with V6 AWD can still kill lots of Civics with huge loud exhausts.... I won`t mention what happens when I drive my not-so-loud 330. Sure, a Cobra with loud exhaust? fine, it deserves it

As for tinting, cops here don`t really care, but they do throw that in when they pull you over for other reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    If he didn`t even hear your car, you should have been able to beat the ticket. Never be afraid of going to court when you are in the right. If the cop has to get on the stand and admit he never heard your exhaust, the judge would have tossed the case immediately.

If your exhaust actually exceeds the db level, you can get a turbo style muffler that will still flow well and be noticably quieter.

BTW, I had thought about moving to California in the late 80s but my 1977 Cutlass with a 455 out of a `72 Delta 88 would have been impossible to get though emissions testing there. That was the deciding factor between going back to Texas (from Arizona) or moving to California.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s whack. Over here, the cops suspect anything they can issue you a defect notice, which means you have to bring it to the road authority office to have it tested. If it`s illegal they`ll ask you to remove it. You get 30 days or so to get it legal and certified. If you fail to do this then you get fined.

What most guys do is they get defected, no problemo, put the stock stuff back on, and once they`re certified, all the mods go back on.

No fines are issued just because the cops *think* it`s too loud.

There are other problems with the traffic system though, and the state government here makes way too much money on speeding and parking fines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you guys seem to have strict laws. As I see it there are two options

1. Sell or re-modify the car

2. Learn the legislation and always be prepared to assert your rights. By this I do not mean go to court over every minor point, always choose your battles but understand the rules which the police are trying to enforce.

I guess in basic terms do you want less hassle

Post Thanks / Like
    In Canada, are biggest problem now is the insurance co`s. Most of the co`s now won`t even give you insurance if you have a modified car, and if they find out you modified in any way (intake, exhaust etc) and never told them, they will either drop you right away or increase your rates so much that you will cancel your policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your ticket and find what code they cited you for. Then find this code (if it`s from the Mayor`s orders, you might have to go down to City Hall). Get a copy of the section and find out what their frame of reference is for "loud". i.e. is it above a certain db level or phrased some other way. Your PD might have a "community resource officer" or such that should help you with this. I don`t know your local laws, but unless something is worked out with the owners, a police officer can`t go on to private property (the parking lot) and just start writing tickets without cause (unless they were called, you were loitering, etc.). Also, I would question the whole "turn your car on so I can hear it." Good luck next time!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a buddy back east that drove a F-150 with 40`s on it at the start of the whole monster truck thing and this truck was beyond illegal...He got pulled over and the cops ordered him to drop it or sell it...He solfdit and bought a (dont laugh) Fiero GT and the night he was driviong home was pulled over by the same cop who hassled him for the truck...he just smiled and said "you told me to get rid of the truck" The cop let him off.

In your case it sounds like harrasment, plain and simple. I would write some letters to some of the local media...they feed on this kinda thing. And next time fight it...for him to cite you for loud exhaust when the car was off is insane~!

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how much you like the modifications on your car. If I were you, I`d fight the tickets. If you don`t, you`re just letting the cops know they can push you around. Things will just get worse from there. Of course, I live in Florida. I heard nasty rumors on how strictly enforced the laws are up in Ohio.

I used to own a 92` Prelude with a few modifications. Loud? yes. Intrusive? Possibly. Illegal? Absolutely not. It`s up to you and your friends on how far you`re willing to get pushed around.

BTW, I really think the Fast & Furious movies gave the Import scene a bad name. If they actually accused you of wanting to be like Fast & Furious, then they are obviously prejudiced against you and your friends. Do you think they might accuse you and your friends of wanting to be like the `good old boys` if you guys had Monte Carlos and Taurus` clad in NASCAR emblems? I actually saw a Buick Regal all decked out just like Harry Gant`s Skoal Bandit racecar back in the 80`s. It looked pretty cool, but I seriously doubt anybody gave the guy a ticket for looking like he is going too fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mayor (and Judge) know that during this time revenue is difficult to come by. You`d have to work your way up the appeals process (maybe having the State DPS test the car and take those results to the Judge). I really think fines should be removed from traffic law. If you speed 3 times within a year, suspend the license. Fines are just being used to make necessary revenue. Maybe the ACLU should file a federal case, something like taxation without representation--sounds foolish, but really I think it is unethical to run a state/local govt where you are "relying" on people breaking the law in order to fund public services. That`s where "selective enforcement" comes in. Bust a bunch of "kids" with "hotrods" or bust "older" people wandering over a couple of lanes or turning right from the left lane in a Caddy?

--Sorry for the rant...
    ...as a result of your seeking, you cannot find...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was pulled over once for my exhaust a couple years ago when I thought the loud exhaust was the best thing in the world . I had a cop pull out of a parking lot and follow me, and then get in the other lane but just behind me. He rolled down his window as if to listen to my exhaust, but since I knew what he was doing, I just sat in 5th gear at 30mph. Total silence.

So eventually we got to a stop sign, and there`s no way to silence the exhaust upon takeoff. Well he flipped his lights before I was out of first gear.

He told me that my exhaust was louder-than-stock, and that means it`s illegal. He said he`ll just give me a warning, but I have to take it off. Well I never did. No problems since (3yrs+). Now I`m getting tired of the loud exhaust anyway though.

And as far as your ticket, I really don`t think that would hold up in court. He can`t just say that your exhaust is too loud without even hearing it. Get a lawyer and you`ll be fine.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by uconn1150

The Mayor (and Judge) know that during this time revenue is difficult to come by. You`d have to work your way up the appeals process (maybe having the State DPS test the car and take those results to the Judge). I really think fines should be removed from traffic law. If you speed 3 times within a year, suspend the license. Fines are just being used to make necessary revenue. Maybe the ACLU should file a federal case, something like taxation without representation--sounds foolish, but really I think it is unethical to run a state/local govt where yo u are "relying" on people breaking the law in order to fund publicservices. That`s where "selective enforcement" comes in. Bust a bunch of "kids" with "hotrods" or bust "older" people wandering over a couple of lanes or turning right from the left lane in a Caddy?

--Sorry for the rant...

Don`t be. Your ideas sound pretty good to me. It would sure cut down on seeing more cops settng up speedtraps on the road after the 20th of each month.:p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information