Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i doubt shaving 600 pounds can get you down to 12s, its like 100 pounds off will give you .1 of a second off your time its something like that.

edit : lol o wait i just read that you said they are already in the 13s

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well as it stands right now i am liking the Jackson supercharger! As far as that being my only mod thats a no no lol i think people are thinkin i am just gonna like charge it and put a muffler on! nope! lol i plan on doing this late summer if at all after i do more basic mods. I just figured i would start a thread now cause i have to do some serious research!!!

Navindra- Your car is gonna be hot!!! And by the way that quote is to funny!! lol, Ohhh yea and cool idea with the bronze should look pretty cool i am gonna go with black i think, cause then i wanna spray the taillights (trasparent black) and get black backing headlights..yep yep :up
    Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NavindraLR

not bashing.. but just a funny quote that relates to what u said

"god created turbo lag to give v8`s a chance"

a chance to what? not blow away your turbo 4-banger too badly.

so as to not start any arguements, i think the import/4-banger scene has really made vast improvements in the last 10 years. 10 years ago when i was racing on the streets (now i realize how stupid that was), pretty much the only mods imports could do were air filter, mufflers, and suspension. oh, having fog lights and plenty decals on the side also made your car faster. gee am i showing my age. you were lucky if your car came with a turbo and you could find parts for it. nowadays they have a whole new industry that ranges from the simple bolt-ons to whole engine blocks!

so to each their own, whatever route you choose. just make sure you keep your ride nice and clean, swirl-free. not to mention keep that side up! :wavey
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    hirosh- u bet as an autpian i vow never to have a swirled or oxidized car!!! lol Hey and take it easy on the four bangers i know a couple people that have hondas puttin 800 to the ground!!
    Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing you have to remember, once you start pushing 11 and 12:1 compression, you cant run regular gas very well. Anything above 10:1 most manufactueres recommend using at least midgrade fuel, and I believe at 11.5:1 most recommend using premium. Just something else to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny:

I have noticed a few things after reading through this thread...

1) You really need to pay attention in English class buddy. This grammar thing is killing you

2) It seems you are VERY new at all of this. I have been in the scene for 3 years and still have plenty to learn about performance. There are a lot of factors that go into turbo/super charging. I wish I could say it would be fine to just bolt on a kit and be done, but then you have to worry about fuel, tuning, larger exhaust diameters, etc. It`s a LOT of money and time. Also, with all of this, you have to worry about reliability. My car is definatley as not as reliable as it should be, but it comes with the territory. With that said,

In all honesty, in your position right now...I would say scrap the Jap cars. I love em and I drive one, but if you want this serious power, you are looking in the wrong area. For my money (around 30k), in your shoes, a leftover `04 Mustang Cobra would be my purchase. Yes they are marked over 30k, but with the 05`s coming in, they must get them off the lot. The 06 Cobra`s are due out in a few months. It still handles great and while you may not grab me in the corners in it, you will sure as hell accelerate way past me in the straights. Another thing you have to think of is how strict the cops are about going over the speed limit. Long Island is almost over populated with "po po". I modded my car for track use and I have never tracked it, so only get to enjoy my suspension on off/on ramps, quiet windy roads, and a few other situations. It sucks, but I have to deal with it. Power is something you can use a lot if you are careful.

Anyways, we`re talking 390 hp out of the box. With a few MINOR bolt ons, you have a low 11 second car. It`s been done and proven in stang magazines. The car is an absolute trip. My dad has one and while it`s not quite up to the Jap quality, it`s not bad and is certainly WAY more powerful.

Give it some thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hftw Audi 6

hirosh- u bet as an autpian i vow never to have a swirled or oxidized car!!! lol Hey and take it easy on the four bangers i know a couple people that have hondas puttin 800 to the ground!!

kenny, don`t worry, i`m not bashing 4-bangers/imports. like the early hot rods, they have gone from the backyard mechanics to a huge industry today. i guess you could call them today`s hot rods. :xyxthumbs the import scene has made some great strides in the past ten years, and that`s a good thing.

if i could, i wouldn`t mind building up one, say a civic hatchback with an engine swap and set up for some road racing. or maybe a hachi-roku or 240sx. or a mazda3, focus SVT, nissan se-r spec-v....but it costs money which i`d rather put into my mach1 and detailing supplies.

but anyways, there has been some good advice given here, like the ones by vick-e. tuning is very important. also don`t forget the supporting parts: clutch, trans, axles, suspension, tires. it don`t mean sh*t if you can`t put the power to the ground. i especially like sean`s advice in getting a 04 cobra, but that`s just me.
    Reid

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

Kenny:

I have noticed a few things after reading through this thread...

1) You really need to pay attention in English class buddy. This grammar thing is killing you

2) It seems you are VERY new at all of this. I have been in the scene for 3 years and still have plenty to learn about performance. There are a lot of factors that go into turbo/super charging. I wish I could say it would be fine to just bolt on a kit and be done, but then you have to worry about fuel, tuning, larger exhaust diameters, etc. It`s a LOT of money and time. Also, with all of this, you have to worry about reliability. My car is definatley as not as reliable as it should be, but it comes with the territory. With that said,

In all honesty, in your position right now...I would say scrap the Jap cars. I love em and I drive one, but if you want this serious power, you are looking in the wrong area. For my money (around 30k), in your shoes, a leftover `04 Mustang Cobra would be my purchase. Yes they are marked over 30k, but with the 05`s coming in, they must get them off the lot. The 06 Cobra`s are due out in a few months. It still handles great and while you may not grab me in the corners in it, you will sure as hell accelerate way past me in the straights. Another thing you have to think of is how strict the cops are about going over the speed limit. Long Island is almost over populated with "po po". I modded my car for track use and I have never tracked it, so only get to enjoy my suspension on off/on ramps, quiet windy roads, and a few other situations. It sucks, but I have to deal with it. Power is something you can use a lot if you are careful.

Anyways, we`re talking 390 hp out of the box. With a few MINOR bolt ons, you have a low 11 second car. It`s been done and proven in stang magazines. The car is an absolute trip. My dad has one and while it`s not quite up to the Jap quality, it`s not bad and is certainly WAY more powerful.

Give it some thought.

pulley and exhaust.. easy twelves on a street tires. sean is correct!

Vernon

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did a thread talking about the merits of turbo charging versus supercharging become a thread about the merits of a tuned 4 cylinder versus a V8?? :nixweiss

Since it has...here is my 2 cents on the matter:

Yes...a V8 built to run fast and lay prodigious amounts of torque to the ground will indeed "suck gas". On the flip side of that coin...a 4 cylinder motor built to the hilt and running 20+ pounds of boost will suck just as much gas. Do you have any idea how much fuel that motor needs to run at that kind of pressure and those rpm`s?? When you aren`t "in the boost" you will indeed get better fuel economy but when you aren`t "in the throttle" with a V8 you can get just as much economy. My 400+ rwhp WS6 can average 25+ miles per gallon when cruising on the highway in sixth gear loafing at about 1,800rpm.

The Japanese import tuner deal is a blessing in my eyes...and that is coming from someone who owns three American vehicles. It has a whole other generation of folks interested in wrenching on cars and making them better than the factory delivered. I don`t care if it is a darn Yugo someone is modding...as long as it keeps the hobby alive I`m all for it!! My muscle car driving friends laugh at me when I see a tastefully modded Civic Si and say that it is a "bad arse" little car. They still have a hard time understanding that there are 1,000 hp 4 cylinders out there running 7`s and 8`s in the 1320. On the flip side of that coin I hate when I see a "ricer" thumb his nose at a rumbling big cubic inch 8 cylinder. While it may not be the cutting edge of technology anymore that ole 8 banger can get the job done just as well as any boosted 4 or 6 cylinder.

Sean is right...the `03-`04 Mustang Cobra is the current "Toyota Supra" in that with just a very few mods those cars will flat out just fly (a pulley, intake, exhaust and tune will get you close to 500 foot pounds of torque...at the wheels!!!). Heck..with a set of drag radials and a good driver they will run high 12`s BONE STOCK off the showroom floor. One heckuva machine for sure.

NavindraLR you have a very well thought out build listed there but low 12`s aren`t going to happen. To put things in perspective for you a 2004 Z06 Corvette weighs about 3,100lbs and will put about mid 350`s hp and torque to the rear wheels...and it runs mid 12`s...low 12`s with a good driver. I don`t think that the mods you listed are good for 350`s at the front wheels and I also don`t think the RSX is as light...correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry for the rant.
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    lol.. sorry guys guess i kinda stole thread answering kenny`s questions.. but anyways.. there were other mods i plan on doing, but i didnt list them... (different tranny, different final drive ratio, some other stuff...)

that is a good point you bring up Mike... as a matter of fact, a lot of import car magazines, as well as Car and Drive set the benchmark for tuned 4bangers as the ZO6. But I am pretty sure I can get in the 12`s if not low 12`s, reason being, b/c I watched a na rsx blow away a rsx with a cybernation stage 3 setup, running cn guardian, at english town in new jersey (a local track in that area). Obviously its going to require a lot of work, and money, but it can be done, and I plan on going all out on this car, and then keep it around as a show car when i finally can afford to get my evo or sti..

:bounce

i just looked it up also.. the car weighs 2840... then you throw in the carbon fiber hood, and carbon fiber hatch i want, and that should shave some pounds...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hirosh

a chance to what? not blow away your turbo 4-banger too badly.

so as to not start any arguements, i think the import/4-banger scene has really made vast improvements in the last 10 years. 10 years ago when i was racing on the streets (now i realize how stupid that was), pretty much the only mods imports could do were air filter, mufflers, and suspension. oh, having fog lights and plenty decals on the side also made your car faster. gee am i showing my age. you were lucky if your car came with a turbo and you could find parts for it. nowadays they have a whole new industry that ranges from the simple bolt-ons to whole engine blocks!

so to each their own, whatever route you choose. just make sure you keep your ride nice and clean, swirl-free. not to mention keep that side up! :wavey

i was joking... but these days if you have a v8, you have to think twice about the car you`re gonna race.. you might end up being surprised..

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NavindraLR

i was joking... but these days if you have a v8, you have to think twice about the car you`re gonna race.. you might end up being surprised..

heh heh, don`t worry, i know you were. i was joking too. besides, i don`t want to start a war or nothing!

and definitely! damn, i`ve seen a few civics and integras with intercoolers behind their front bumpers, not to mention hearing the hiss of their blow-off valve. then there`s the WRXs and EVOs (more WRXs in honolulu though) to worry about. and you just don`t know if that civic hatchback who pulled up next to you has a h22 engine underneath the hood. it`s scary. :scared
    Reid

Post Thanks / Like
    well i guess i should throw in some suggestions to kenny`s post. so here goes:

how about a roots-type supercharger with NOS? granted you have the money. a roots-type supercharger for great power and torque off the line, while the NOS for the top end when the S/C starts to run out of steam. granted, this will probably require a built engine with aftermarket rods, pistons, sleeves and such. and you might as well port the heads a bit too, and get a good fuel system to keep the engine from blowing up. of course, you`ll need to tune it, and then upgrade the drivetrain to handle the new power, along with the good tires.

another option since this will be a daily driver, how about just NOS? build or add the mods to make it a little more powerful than stock, and then dump a good amount of NOS into it? that way it can be driven like a stocker, yet when you need the power, it`s only a flip of the switch (remote bottle opener) and a push of a button?

i think either a turbo or s/c would work, as long as they are properly size and tuned for your needs. just like detailing, you want to make sure you have the proper tools and technique for the job. in this case, a turbo or s/c that will give you not only the amount of power you`re looking for, but one that gives you the power curve you`ll need for a street car and one that is tuned to survive on pump gas and the rigors of daily driving.
    Reid

Post Thanks / Like
    hirosh: It`s an H22, get it str8

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, i`m not familiar with the import lingo of b16, b18, h22, sr20det, etc etc. us domestic guys like to keep it simple, you know, small-block chevy, big-block chevy, small-block ford, big-block ford, maybe get a little bit more technical by calling them by their cubic displacement. and with stangers, we get a little more fancy with 302, 5.Oh, 4.6, 4.6 Cammer. :p

but thanks sean for the correct terminology.
    Reid

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information