Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious as to why you went with a short ram style intake vs a cold air. A couple of the magazine tests showed 19 and 20 hp gains with the AEM and DC Sports cai`s respectively. The short rams were about half that.

In any event, your car should end up noticably quicker and be even more fun to drive!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    it was actually a tough decision, but i asked sean (gsrstilez) for some advice since he`s lives right up the street, and he also has sri. it comes down to the fact that theres so much damn sand, salt, and dirt (they`re mining the crap out of long island, as well as construction). i dont have time to clean the intake, and really dont want to be bothered with sucking up crap. i might buy a cold air intake though, and swap it in just for the couple months of spring and summer... maybe.. depends on how the cash flow goes... and then id put in the sri for fall and winter, because thats when it mostly rains here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a cold air intake on my Accord for the last 5 years I had it....and except for the first year, we`ve had above normal rainfall then entire time. I even drove 350 miles straight in moderate to heavy rain at freeway speeds on a trip. Never had a problem and only had to clean the filter about once a year-and I average 20-25k miles per year.

All you need to do it simply stay out of deep water.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I had a cold air intake on my Accord for the last 5 years I had it....and except for the first year, we`ve had above normal rainfall then entire time. I even drove 350 miles straight in moderate to heavy rain at freeway speeds on a trip. Never had a problem and only had to clean the filter about once a year-and I average 20-25k miles per year.

All you need to do it simply stay out of deep water.

that last point you made is what scares me.. around me when it rains, it seems to flood a great deal... believe me.. you would be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NavindraLR

let me tell you.. my car sounds like a whole new car which surprised the $h!t out of me... when vtec hits, damn does my car scream now... really really loud.. lol..

haha...I know exactly what you mean. I had the same experience with my Injen CAI.

And I`m with Scott...I`ve never had a problem with my CAI, even in extremely heavy rains. And I clean my filter once a year, whether it needs it or not. It`s usually pretty dirty after a year though. My hands will be noticeably dirty after just grabbing the filter.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like

that last point you made is what scares me.. around me when it rains, it seems to flood a great deal... believe me.. you would be surprised.

Two words for you: By-pass valve. :xyxthumbs
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    they dont make a bypass valve for injen.. which is stupid, cause i thought they would.. aem has one, so maybe when i get the cai, ill see if it will fit on it.. probably will

Post Thanks / Like
    don`t get the AEM CAI. i have one. the bloody install is horrible and you have to relocate the windshield washer bottle.

with injen, at least they give you a smaller bottle. anyways, both installs require you to cut out a portion of your fender.

i`ve seen people put on bypasses on the AEM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i was planning on getting the injen cai anyway... i think their stuff is a lot better than aem... and it is nice that they send u the replacement washer bottle

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :nono I don`t see any catalytic converter in the exhaust. Just kidding, hate them to. Nice choice on the coilovers, expensive, but worth it IMO. I had a buddy that had the Tein`s on his Civic, and loved them. Good luck, and I hope you like the sound with no cats, it will be very different than with!
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    which intake did u go with? the 350z motor looks like a b!tch to work on.. but then again so did mine, but now i know it ver well

I went with the full Injen Intake in red. AEM makes an intake for the 350Z but the Injen looks so much nicer. Especially with the polished tube.

You should be fine. As long as you don`t run through deep water you won`t run into any problems. I know several 350Z owners that have the full Injen and have had no issues with the rain.

Now I can`t wait to put the Borla exhaust on after the intake.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    what is the expected average total hp on the acura after all these mods right now? Looks like you should be adding about 25-30 hp? I had a 2001 celica GT-S which has a similar powerband, in fact it doesnt even start to make power until 6300 rpm when the second cam profile kicks in, and the lift increases. So you were happily accelerating until 6300rpm then it throws you back like a hit of nitrous until 8300 rpm when it`s time to shift. Crazy little engines arent they?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the AEM cold air intake on my car and it has a nice polished tube. My filter might be a whole 8 inches from the ground but I don`t drive my car in the rain AT ALL.

Pat, my dad has a 300ZX TT that doesn`t like to be driven in the rain at more than a light pace as it sucks water into the two HUGE filters that he has on his car.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    my cousin went through 3 engines on his civic because of water getting sucked into the cai. after the first time he had sworn he wouldnt use it again, but 6 months later just couldnt help it, then his g/f "borrowed the car" and drove through a deep puddle..... second time his co-worker did the same thing, that poor car had a rough life....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

they retail for 1860, but i paid 1670.

actually i am.. i already sg the intake, but i think im gonna do it over with poorboys wheel sealant.. should be more durable right

thanks... i did do a lot of research... why do u say

pesky k series though? just curious. but yeah some aftermarket parts suck, but i read so many dyno charts and other stuff before buying these that i know i made the right choices. also, i plan on getting hondata reflash #4, which will enhance these mods. basically i planned my mods to make sure they would work for future mods (the ecu reflash, cams, retainer springs, valves, etc.. big plans big plans..)

nice.. which intake did u go with? the 350z motor looks like a b!tch to work on.. but then again so did mine, but now i know it ver well

actually... i did not a lil something, but not much... it is just intake.. but let me tell you.. my car sounds like a whole new car which surprised the $h!t out of me... when vtec hits, damn does my car scream now... really really loud.. lol..

i only say "pesky" k series because the little bit that i read on them when they first come out, aftermarket companies were making parts like it was a regular B series and they were not making good gains whatsoever. they have been out for a few years now though so i`m sure everything has improved. the K series when they first came out were like the SRT4`s of today. companies didn`t do their research at first and they had to blow a few up to actually start doing it right. either way, you bought quality parts and i`m sure its giong to feel and sound great! also, don`t be upset you didn`t get the aem cold air, that thing is a ***** to install and like stated before, you have to move the freakin water sprayer resovoir. big big pain in the ***. i can`t wait to see some after pics of all these parts!! again, awesome buys man!

Vernon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information