Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any Tundra owners out there that have a suggestion for a new stereo. Money isn`t an issue. I want to have a CD player. Nothing real fancy. Just like loud rock music. I am thinking of replacing the 6 speakers with Polks. :nixweiss Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I listen to loud rock music, too and I just replaced everything in my PT Cruiser and it sounds great-even audiophile-great.

For the best CD sound, Sony receivers all have it. They have the best signal-to-noise ratio for CD right now at 107dB. This blows everyone else out of the water! Pick any one in your price range. I picked the 7005fx. I love the movies and all of the custom settings(great for iPod, too).

As for speakers, I have read all the reviews and heard each set in person before I bought. That`s the only way to really do it right. Anyways, I replaced all of my stock speakers with Infinity Kappas. They have the best sound I`ve ever heard in a car system(other than Lexus` Mark Levinson factory setup). They also carry one of the highest RMS wattages, too. You don`t have to worry at all about distortion. Crank `em up!

This is my opinion and take it for what you will. I take my sound very seriously and consider myself an amateur-audiophile.(I can`t yet afford a true hi-fi home system ).

Good luck on your search!:wavey
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    MHO - a stereo doesn`t rock without a subwoofer. as far as head units? Alpine for sure although speakers will make the biggest difference. Look for High end MBQuarts, Dynaudoi, Illusion Audio, Focal, Jl Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like some of the Alpine Head Units. They make some nice Mp3 ones. You just said you wanted a cd player, but would that ever change to wanting an mp3 player? If so, go for that to start out.

Depending on the type of Tundra you have, you can fit a sub or two under one of the rear seats with this:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLC1TTX20801

that looks like a pretty good location. You could probably build the enclosure your self if you wanted to, but this gives you a good idea.

For true sound quality, only replace the front 4 (mids and tweeters) and dont use the rear speakers..... (in my opinion at least). This is to get the best imaging.

But if you like to feel like your IN the music, upgrade all of them.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like my Premier deck, great sound and a bunch of features

Post Thanks / Like
    drewski59 ,

Does that unit have a plug for the Ipod or what? I also have a Ipod, so that would be something to look into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rainbow

drewski59 ,

Does that unit have a plug for the Ipod or what? I also have a Ipod, so that would be something to look into.

Yes, it has an aux input. I use it specifically for my iPod. And, as a correction, all Sony head units have a 120 dB signal to noise ratio on CD. Alpine only has 105(the higher the number, the less background `noise`). It also has a nice subwoofer pre-out and is available with MP3 playback. Also, the FM reception is one of the best out there, far exceeding Alpine`s tuner, but not quite as good as Pioneer`s.

As you can see, I did a lot of research and comparing when I selected my head unit. I wanted the best sound for the money, and I got it. Also, the silver faceplate looks like brushed aluminum which is cool. A sub would be nice if you have enough room for it. I found that when I replaced all of my speakers, I got all of the bass extension I desired. The Kappas play really low, and really loud! And I don`t worry about crankin` them, because they have a 3 yr. warranty on parts and labor! Hope this helps!

:wavey
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks drewski59

sounds like a great unit. I am going to have to check into it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rainbow. Check your PM`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rainbow

Are there any Tundra owners out there that have a suggestion for a new stereo. Money isn`t an issue. I want to have a CD player. Nothing real fancy. Just like loud rock music. I am thinking of replacing the 6 speakers with Polks. :nixweiss Thanks for the help.

I agree with whoever said a system needs a sub. If your stock speakers are good, then just add a pair of 10" JL Subs in an enclosed box with a Fosgate AMP. The sound is surprisingly balanced and good even for rock. Feels like your at a concert, the drums and bass pound!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Alpine and love it. I had a Clarion for two months and hated the layout of the buttons and got this Alpine and like it overall much better.

Thread Information