Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, here`s the story:

Yesterday, my dad was bringing my sister back from the doctor`s office and was driving his 1967 Pontiac Tempest (basically a GTO without the badges). He is about half way home, and hears this big CLUNK. HE pulls over, thining it was a muffler or something since they are a little loose, shuts off the car, and turns around to find his GAS TANK lying in the middle of the street. (im not ````ting you, this really happened). So, he pulls the gas tank off the road, and proceeds to call me (im at home during all this). He says (and i quote) "Bring the van and the tow cable." Im thinking " aww crap, now what." So, i proceed to drive to where hes at, and i see a firetruck there (at this point i didnt know the gas tank fell off) and think he got in an accident. He come up to me before im even out of the car and says "help me get this thing in the trunk" Im like "What thing?", answer "just help me damnit!" Finally i realize its the gas tank and im wonderin what the hell he did. THe fire department was there cause some fireman passing by stopped and called them incase it exploded. Anyway, we put the tank in the trunk (20 gallons of gas and a gas tank are quite heavy by the way) and hitched the car up to the van and towed it home . BTW, i wouldnt recommened trying to turn left across 4 lanes of traffic while towing another car where there is no traffic light, a real pain. ANyway, we got the car home and emptied out the tank, story finished, kinda...

Anyway, the reason i am writing this whole thing is does anyone know where we could get a decently cheap new gas tank from? WHen the tank fell off, it landed on the filler and kidna broke it. I checked all the obvious places, and some not so obvious ones online, and the best i can find is 210 with like 70 bucks shipping. Does anyone know anything any cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I posted it here cause, well, it doesnt really fit anywhere very well. Hope you enjoyed the story, and no i am seriously not making this up... If i had a little more foresight i would have taken pics, still might get some of the gas tank and the void it left, lol. Thanks anyway.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This site had tanks w/filler for 168.00 plus shipping, I`m not sure what those rates are though. http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/pont_gastanks.html#

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks, shipping is $47 btw, thanks. Keep the suggestions coming guys, im still looking. Thanks for the link travis

Post Thanks / Like
    CCAP is always a good source, I`d also check ebay and hemmings.

Post Thanks / Like
    K, will do, thanks

Thread Information