Thread: 2000 S4 Owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Do any MY 2000 S4 owners with an automatic know if this car has an F hose? I have searched other forums, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer. My understanding is that automatics do not have an F hose. I ask this b/c I would like to replace it with a quality aftermarket one.

Additionally, I am replacing my throttle body boot and by-pass valves (preventative maintenance). Can anyone recommend a good substitue for OEM - these are prone to failure and I dont want to run the risk of turbo failure in the future.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend checking out the forums at www.audiworld.com.

Do some searches as I know the answer to your questions are there. You have alot of options on the TBB and BPV.

Max

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Tiptronic S4 and don`t even know what the heck a F hose is. :nixweiss Let me know when you find out.

I am also getting ready to replace the TBB and BPV with aftermarket items. It just gets $$.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Try www.audizine.com

Maybe you could find the answer there, I have an a4 tip and I dont know the answer either
    Audi A3 and Murano.

UPPand Klasse all the way and now P21s on Top of them

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing some research while thinking about getting an S4. Here is what I have found.

Throttle Body Boots (TB:

1. AMS makes a Kevlar wrapped TBB (basically stock with kevlar shell) no fitment issues about $90.

2. APR makes a Bipipe. A "Y" shaped metal pipe that replaces the TBB and the Metal intercooler pipes feeding it. about $350 (basically foolproof).

Bypass valves (BPV);

1. Audi replacement can be the BPV`s used on the Audi TT 225, which are redesigned and much more robust. About $35 each.

2. Aftermarket manufacturers such as Bailey, forge, Stratsmosphere and many more. pricey at $200-$350 for the pair.

F-hose: From my research does not seem to be as big a problem as the TBB and BPV. From what I can determine from the reading I have done it appears on both the manuals and autos (however I don`t know for sure). The hose is exclusive to the 2000 and a portion of 2001 (prior to some changes). Rubber hose shaped like and "F" prone to tearing.

MTM makes a metal tube shaped liked the F-hose with rubber connection ends. About $80.

Samco makes a silicon F-hose. About $25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bet993.

This is what I have been able to find myself. I plan on searching for the F-hose on my car this weekend. I`m still unclear if auto`s have them or not, but I do know what it looks like so I should be able to anwer my own question.

You probably already know this, but if you are considering purchasing an S4 - my research tells me that the MY 2001.5 S4`s are better than the MY 2000 - 2001. This is primarily due to the upgraded oil lines to the turbos.

That being said, I have yet to have a problem with my turbos on my 2000 and it has 42K on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    VIN,

Yeah I have seen that most recommend the 2001.5 and newer but the price also seems to reflect this. I am not looking to do much to the car, I just want a fun daily driver, that does not break the bank because I would like to use the funds for a fun weekend car.

Are you the original owner of the your S4? Any problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not the original owner, but the previous owner took good general care of the car - serviced it when required by Audi under the maintenance program. I also had it independently inspected prior to purchase and everything checked out.

I think most problems arise whith the turbos when you chip the car. They just were not made to handle the additional horse power. Mine is stock and I plan to keep it that way. I do however have the extended warranty to 100K, so if I do have a problem it will be covered under warranty. I would suggest looking into one that is certified by Audi.

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I will try to help. This weekend, once I have time, I will search for that F-hose and try to determine its function.

Post Thanks / Like
    VIN,

I think I might have found the answer to your original question last night. I seems the problem with the "F" pipe is only associated with the 6-speeds.

Here is some quoted material from an Audi Tuner site selling the MTM replacement part. I have also attached the picture the replacement part installed in a car which gives you an idea of the location of the "F" pipe.

"The MTM "F" Pipe is a permanent replacement of the Factory "F" Hose Part # 078 133 784 AJ. The Audi 2.7T 6-speed is capable of developing cracks in this hose, causing a drivability issue. This hose is located on the right (passenger) side of the throttle body and connects the throttle body, the activated carbon system and a vacuum source together and because it is shaped like an F, it is commonly referred to as an "F" hose. Some tuners have developed a rubber hose to replace the one from the factory. This doesn`t offer a permanent repair since the rubber hose is subject to the same type of failure as the factory unit. MTM has designed a new steel pipe with mesh reinforced silicon hose to replace the factory rubber unit, eliminating the possibility of a failure. Installing the "F" pipe can be done in conjunction with the installation of the MTM "Y" hose that further strengthens the air intake system on the boost side of the turbo. The MTM "F" Pipe has a lifetime warranty against failure. "
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the replacement part and the factory original outside of the car:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information