Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a good car alarm: Starter Kill, shock sensor, TWO WAY remotes, about 4 extra channels (adding window control module, 2 extra piezo interior sirens, possibly motion detector)

I was going to get remote start, but everyone says it will be too dangerous with a manual tranny (have to leave it in neutral!) So I guess I will not need remote start.

Looking at Clifford rsx 2.5 and 3.5

Viper 790 and Viper 500 series

Recommendatios?

Post Thanks / Like
    Get remote start and leave your e brake on all the time, even if your car starts it will not go anywhere and the engine will shut down if it is in gear. A great two way remote alarm for the money is the Audiovox 996 (600 installed w/ remote start dual shock sensors and tilt. Has a lot of great features.)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.compustar.org/index2.html

I absolutely LOVE it!

It has the safety of being able start manual-trans. vehicles due to it`s programming: When you park, put the shifter in neutral, engage the handbrake, remove the key from the ignition and the car remains running. Get out, and when you shut the door it turns the vehicle off and self-arms. That way, there is NO way you could have left it in gear!(remember- it was running as you got out!)

It`s PERFECT as a 2-way alarm/starter. Not 1 thing I don`t like about it.

Just remember the alarm is only as good as it`s install!:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    I had experance with compustar...not the greatest alarm system. If you want a really good one, get the Viper Responder. It does everything.....Stay away from the compustars...my .02Ă‚¢
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a Compustar but I didn`t get the remote start hooked up. I am really happy with the system. The range is very good, I have made contact with the car from as far away as 1km depending on were you are. The two way remote shows you everything that is going on with the car.

I am really happy with the two stage shock sensor. It is so sensitive that I just have to tap the window and the first stage goes off but I have not had one false alarm from rain, thunder, or loud cars. I had an alarm in another car that constantly went off when a loud car would drive by and during thunder storms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve dealt with both Clifford (alarm) and Avital (remote starter) (I think these two companies are now one in the same).

Both products were completely reliable. However, the only negative comment I can make was that when I purcahsed the Clifford, I was told I could `add modules` to the basic alarm packages at anytime.

Four years later, when I wanted to add a proximity sensor I was told that the brain of my alarm was out dated and I needed to replace pretty much everything but the the horn (basically a new alarm system). I opted just to leave it. Maybe I just hit it at a weird time and their products are more forward compatible now, but nonetheless it was something that irked me then.

Other than that, I never had any problems with the alarm`s functioning or anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Clifford on my daliy driver,had a technical question and when I rang up Clifford (UK) a very board sounding woman said she couldnt help I asked to speak to someone who new about the alarms but got nowhere,ended up writing to Clifford US and got an apology and a mug,-good alarms, poor customer service.
    1959 model Mini,Speedwell Blue.

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

1990 Peogeot 1.9 205 GTI,Red.

2001 Ford Focus Ghia Diesel,Metallic Phantom Black.Arrrrrrgggghhh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey LouisanaJeeper, did you finally purchase a car? If so, what did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    no, still trying to pick one out! I`m a very slow car shopper, dealers hate me !lol!
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    DEI/Clifford are awesome. Check out their new lines; there`s something for everyone.

www.clifford.com

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest with you, i would not spend a lot of money and that so called "high end" alarm. If a pro wants your car bad enough, they are going to get. ALL alarms can be by-passed.

It is getting hard to steal the cars due to the cars technology changing.

Do a simple test in you neighboor hood.

Take a friends car and set the alarm off, sit outside and wait for a neighboor to come outside or someone to see what is going on. I bet you will be surprised on how long it will take.

I have seen alarms that page the owner of the car when it is going off.

As for the remote start and manual transmission, I have seen the car get damaged from starting it by remote. Most people here know I am also an auto adjuster, and i have seen many cars stolen with the "high end" alaram, and I have a few claims when manual cars were started by remote and then crashed as they were left in gear by mistake. owner thought they left the brake on, but when your in a rush, you tend to forget.

In NY it is illegal to get remote start in your manual tranny, but there is always away around it.

I would just get an alarm that does the features you want it to do. but dont go to crazy in price.

Thread Information