Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a 2004 subaru outback and was told by a guy at work that I must use subaru oil filters or they will leak from the gasket. I have always used fram filters on my cars without any trouble. Has anyone else ever heard of this???

Post Thanks / Like
    Though FRAM is a huge marketing force, their oil filters are certainly mid-pack.

I don`t know what other choices you have for a Japanese car. Aren`t there any Subaru forums where you could ask?
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    FRAM oil filters suck, just so you know. My partners Dad used Fram on his Civic and found out that the filter was not letting any oil through. Same thing happened to a guy at the local drag strip. I think i you look online you will see a lot of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to bust out the bobistheoilguy.com reference. I have an impreza and have no leaks with purolator filters. Oh yeah, and I don`t always use a new crush washer either.
    99 Jetta

02 WRX

Growl Boxer Growl

Post Thanks / Like
    Iconoclast -- Thanks for the info that all that I wanted to know and I am aware of the bobistheoilguy.com web site.

2001civicex -- Thanks for the info but if you read the question it was about non subaru oil filters leaking not who has bad luck with fram.

tom p -- That`s a good idea I will have to check on a subaru forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ernman

I purchased a 2004 subaru outback and was told by a guy at work that I must use subaru oil filters or they will leak from the gasket. I have always used fram filters on my cars without any trouble. Has anyone else ever heard of this???
    I use PureOne filters on my WRX, and never had a problem. IIRC, almost all modern Subarus use the same filter size (the PureOne part number is the same for Outbacks, Bajas, Foresters, and Imprezas), so I don`t see why the Outback would be different or problematic, especially if the issue is the seal at the gasket.

IMO, your work-mate has been misinformed.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Subaru uses a crush-washer on the drain plug that should be replaced every time the plug is removed and replaced. If not, the drain plug could leak (although many report being able to re-use the washer several times without issue). The washers are very inexpensive, so you can pick up a couple dozen and be set for the life of your Outback. I remedied the issue of needing the crush washer by swapping my drain plug out with a drain valve from http://www.fumotovalve.com/.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    That drain valve is cool. I was thinking of putting on that one that is made by fram. Did you look at that one? Is there an adavatage using the one that you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use pure one in my wrx, I have used a fram but that was because it was all that kmart had. I got the good fram, and it still gets bad reviews and costs twice as much as a pure one. Pure one is supposedly equal to a mobil 1 filter, and its cheap.

I have yet to replace my crush washer...42k miles. You should replace it, its cheap and easy, but if you go a few changes without having one handy its no big deal at all. After an oil change I check for leaks every time I go to my car anyways (as well as checking the oil level frequently), never know what could have gone wrong!

oh I did not have any problems with the fram X2 filter I used.

Just make sure you get the drain back lock feature, as subaru filters come with this and its important. Besides that you can use whatever you want.The cheapest frams do not have this feature!

And by far the best subaru board is www.nasioc.com ...its like my second home!

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second what 2001civicex says, Fram oil filters are really made poorly. I just had this argument on my truck forum concerning the best oil filters. 2 of the people work at different auto stores and they said when opening up a Fram compared to others(AC Delco, Motorcraft, Wix) the Fram looked like garbage. It had loosely constructed cardboard at the end of it. I`ve always liked Fram but lately i noticed a little oil from the bottom of the filter so i guess they would leak a little. I guess I got suckered into Fram`s marketing, and didn`t realize what I was buying. Same thing wit Pennzoil filters wit the cardboard ends. I now know to stay away from them guess i`ll just stick wit AC Delco, but for you ernman, trying finding out what Subaru uses as OEM equipment then give it a try. I`ve also heard Wix and Napa Gold filters are pretty good. This is just my opinon on the topic and my experiences wit em. If you use Fram/Pennzoil and it works well then continue on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ernman

That drain valve is cool. I was thinking of putting on that one that is made by fram. Did you look at that one? Is there an adavatage using the one that you have?
    I`ve never seen the Fram version, so I can`t really say . . .

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    WIX and Hastings both offer excellent oil filters.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s true Fram filters are of poor quality. Once I used to be a loyal user of Fram. Delco & Wix filters are havier and better constructed, I prefer them now.
    2000 Infiniti I30t Jade Green

1990 Nissan Maxima SE Graphite Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Because Fram Sucks

Go there. Imagine Autopia except dealing with the mechanical aspect of the car. The people there keep the insides of their engines as clean as some of us keep the outsides of our cars!

On a serious note, I install Fram every day at work (just not on my own vehicles, they get Mobil-1). I have had hundreds of Subarus come through and not a single one had a leaking problem because of the filter. Either way, an aftermarket filter will be ok. Just try to stay away from the evil orange boxes. If you dont want to spend the $12 for a Mobil, at least go for a Wix.

Post Thanks / Like
    WIX FILTER LEAKS ON 2011 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5 ........We have 2011 outback 2.5 and I put a wix filter on at 3750 miles... It leaks! Subaru told me they all leak... wix and fram are the ones that they have seen leak... I have done my own oil changes since I was 16 and could drive.... that was 1987...and I never had one leak until this one... I went to the auto parts store and looked at a new wix filter for my car and saw that the gasket was 3 times thicker than the subaru filter, which to me would mean that when you tighten the filter (by hand only) the gasket binds and warps causing a leak... to bad for wix, i wont buy them until they fix the gasket..and i suspect many other wont either.

Post Thanks / Like
    1st post and this is it? Ohh, wait. You work for FRAM, don`t you.

Thread Information