Post Thanks / Like
    I am contemplating painting my black textured fender flares red to match my truck. I have a few questions for the painting experts:

1) If I buy color-matched spray paint in a can from an automotive store, will this stick to my flares OK if they are properly prepped?

2) What do I need to do to prep them?

3) Since the flares are slightly textured, I`m worried about sealant/wax getting into the crannies and making them look crappy. Has anyone else painted textured trim?

I would appreciate any comments or help on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to a co-worker who has a Jeep. He painted his with Rustoleum paint for plastic furniture. He also used their plastic primer. All he did was clean them with alcohol and spray following the directions. They look great.

I recommended he scuff them with a fine scotchbrite pad and try SEM trim paint from a body suppy store. I`ve used SEM paint it works great!

Post Thanks / Like
    How about sanding them smooth and then shooting them? It would lend a unique look to your truck, and wouldn`t add too much to the prep time. Either route you go, you should check out Paint Scratch.com and get their primer and paint with the flex agent mixed in. The flex agent will help prevent cracking and peeling on your flexible body parts.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. What I`m really wondering is if the paint would start peeling off after a year or so.

The Tacoma comes with a color-keyed fender flare option. I used to think that the black flares looked better, but anymore I think that color-keyed look better...

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint won`t last if you don`t smooth it first. Even then it`s pretty hard to get it even. I was ready to pay the best shop in town whatever they wanted to paint my trim and they said they wouldn`t do it since it`s so easy to screw up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to paint my fender flares too and what kind of paint should I use? Can i do it myself or should i take it to the shop and let them do the work instead? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plastic relies heavily on being cleaned well for a good bond. Plastic is also one of the most commonly failed procedures, textured plastics are the worst. I`d suggest you get a sanding paste designed for plastic and use a nylon pad with it for prep. Follow that with a plastic cleaner, a plastic primer then paint. Flexible products are only required for flexible plastics, not rigid ones if thats what the flares are.
    Commercial URL removed by moderator.

Post Thanks / Like
    6 year old thread!! What Jimmo said. You can also try Bulldog adhesion promoter (sold at bodyshop supply stores).

Post Thanks / Like
    How i painted my bumpers. Granted I did mine in a paint booth but same basic principal.

Prep it right and use a good adhesion promoter and you will be fine.

Painting Lowers - Little Different Prep - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, didn`t realize it was a six year old thread! it was on the first page of the category. guess this section doesn`t get trafficed much.
    Commercial URL removed by moderator.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to paint my fender flares too and what kind of paint should I use? Can i do it myself or should i take it to the shop and let them do the work instead? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my 2 cents:

Prep work is key for textured plastic (or any plastic for that matter)

1)Clean with Dawn soap

2)Rinse

3)Clean with TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) found at any HD/Lowes. TSP will strip any previously applied dressings/silicone off of the plastic. Use gloves and a mask for this (outdoors or properly ventilated) TSP should be given a healthy respect as it is some caustic stuff.

4)Rinse and Dry

5)Use a plastic specific primer

6)use a plastic specific paint -Rustoleum trim, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    clean clean clean! I painted the black plastic side skirts on my old car and took a whole day just in prep work. Dawn, or any other degreaser is a must. Then take a high grit sand paper to smooth out/scuff up just enough. Rustoleum paint for plastics will already have the flex in there, but if you are ordering from paintscratch.com, ask them to put that in there for the primer, paint, and clear, otherwise you might get some cracking later on. My side skirts lasted for 3 years (when I sold it) and never chipped.

Cliffs notes process:

* Dawn/degreaser + patience

* fine grit sand paper

* adhesion promotor (can be had at local APS)

* flex primer

* paint with flex

* clear with flex

* let cure!

Thread Information