Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday afternoon (in 98` heat), I removed the ECU from my car, and sent it off to COBB Tuning for a re-flash. The Stage 2 reflash should be good for about fifty hp over stock, with a similar bump in torque.

If you`re at all interested, you can read about the re-flash here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessecu-faq.html

Dyno plot of the Stage 2 re-flash here: http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/images/ae-stage2-dyno.jpg

Nice fat, flat torque curve for a 2.0 liter; I`m looking forward to it . . .

Tort

"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -- Corky Bell

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! I can`t wait for a road test report! I am dying to do this to my S4. It will pump it up to about 310 hp. I just need approval from the "boss". I`m working on it!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish we Maxima owners could do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ECU should be back on Tuesday, and by all reports it takes a few days for the ECU to "learn" the new timing and boost curves (the computer tries to advance timing as much as possible without seeing detonation, so it can take a few days to find maximum power). I`ll be sure to post my impressions sometime late next week.

In the meantime, I`m driving my mom`s mid-90`s Buick, and boy, does it need some lovin`. I thought I`d try to shine it up as a "thank you" for letting me borrow it while my WRX is lobotomized . . . I think I bit off more than I can chew. I spent several hours this morning just claying and removing tree sap from the horizontal surfaces. Good thing it`s a long weekend! I`m going to try to finish claying then fire up the PC tomorrow. Something tells me I`ll be working on it some Sunday, too . . .

Tort

P.S. Going from the excellent chassis of the WRX with aftermarket suspension to the rolling couch that is my mom`s Buick is excrutiating. I appreciate the loaner, but what a change . . . rally-bred, stiffly sprung suspension to Detroit luxo-barge. Yuck. Oh well, it`ll be a shiny boat when I`m done with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tortoise,

I`m sure you will be very happy with the Cobb stage 2. I went from stock (227 hp) to TurboXS stage 4+ with Ecutek (370hp+) in a weekend and the difference in speed is intense... and scary. I almost scared the poop out of myself when I first hit the accelerator

Good luck with the new ECU... Trey Cobb is definitely one of the best Subaru tuners in the country.

-Bob
    2002 Midnight Black Swirl (I mean, Pearl) WRX

Post Thanks / Like
    50? As in 1 more than 49? From just computer tuning? Yes, you must do this. Just another reason for me to like those cars. :xyxthumbs

You *did* send it FedEx with enough insurance, didn`t you? Would be a bad time to lose your package. :scared

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dookiebob

Tortoise,

I`m sure you will be very happy with the Cobb stage 2. I went from stock (227 hp) to TurboXS stage 4+ with Ecutek (370hp+) in a weekend and the difference in speed is intense... and scary. I almost scared the poop out of myself when I first hit the accelerator

Good luck with the new ECU... Trey Cobb is definitely one of the best Subaru tuners in the country.

-Bob

THE Scooby folks are Prodrive in the UK.

They run the WRC program on behalf of Subaru.

Not cheap tho ...............

BUT

Check out that torque curve - Yummy.

Scooby Prodrive Performance Pack

I guess the difference between `good` and `awesome` is making ALOT of usable power without shortening the life of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoker,

That package is for the `03 European STi . . . the `04 STi in the states has a 2.5 liter motor; the rest of the world keeps the 2.0. To my knowledge, the only packages Prodrive offers for the USDM Subies is an axle-back/suspension package. I don`t believe they`re providing reflashes in the US (yet).

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dookiebob

Tortoise,

-Bob

Is that 370 at the wheels or at the crank? Dyno results? If that`s at the wheels, then you basically doubled the power of the car.

Having any tranny problems yet? Or have you beefed it up? At that kind of power, I`d really start to worry about the drivetrain in ANY car - axles, syncros, gears, the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s alive!

I`ve only had the ECU back in for about a day and a half, and so far, I`m very pleased. Throttle response is greatly improved . . . I get quantities of torque at part-throttle that used to require WOT. Part-throttle third gear around an on-ramp was very grin-inducing

:up :up :up

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!

I the butt-o-meter is usually pretty accurate!:xyxthumbs
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Smoker,

That package is for the `03 European STi . . . the `04 STi in the states has a 2.5 liter motor; the rest of the world keeps the 2.0. To my knowledge, the only packages Prodrive offers for the USDM Subies is an axle-back/suspension package. I don`t believe they`re providing reflashes in the US (yet).

Tort

Yeah but in the UK they dont call it an `04 until it IS 04.

So an `03 will be the same model as yours.

I have noticed, unfortunately, that the US versions seem to lose alot of the goodies that the UK ones get to keep.

The Mitsi Evo has the same problem while you didnt get to see ANY version of the Skyline.

Bummer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Smoker

Yeah but in the UK they dont call it an `04 until it IS 04.

So an `03 will be the same model as yours.

I have noticed, unfortunately, that the US versions seem to lose alot of the goodies that the UK ones get to keep.

The Mitsi Evo has the same problem while you didnt get to see ANY version of the Skyline.

Bummer.
    After a little more research, I discovered Prodrive is offering reflashes in the US through select dealerships; however, they`re using the ECUTEK flashing system. Since tuners have to pay a license fee for every ECU flashed, ECUTEK flashes are quite a bit pricier than COBB (COBB cracked the ECU in-house, so there`s no license fee to pay). Prodrive also only offers their flash as part of a larger package, which includes intercooler hoses and exhaust bits that I already have. Prodrive is definitely good stuff, though (I`ve been riding on Prodrive springs for a few months now).

You`re right about the US getting watered down versions of performance cars, but the `04 STi is a welcome departure from that . . . the US is getting a larger motor and more power than the rest of the world (2.5 liter instead of 2.0) for a change. Neener, neener

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

You`re right about the US getting watered down versions of performance cars, but the `04 STi is a welcome departure from that . . . the US is getting a larger motor and more power than the rest of the world (2.5 liter instead of 2.0) for a change. Neener, neener

Tort

True that! :up ...however, it`s just too bad that with the new engine, we`re also getting some mild detonation ...hopefully to be resolved soon...congrats on the "new" wrx Tort!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good report on your reflash! :xyxthumbs

I`m thinking I should start modding the WRX soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information