Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always liked a clean, well kept, stock looking car. Never really wanted after market wheels, thought that I`d feel cheesy with them for some reason. I don`t mind it on other peoples` cars, just never had the urge myself, until now. I don`t want anything wild, in fact, I`d like them to be mistaken for stock, but not quite as dated as mine are. Just something different, lighter, and not directional. My OCD side can`t stand my stocker`s that are directional, but go different directions on each side of the car. I`m weird like that.

What`s the consensus on the swap?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like aftermarket wheels because most of the time people increase both the diameter and width of the wheels/tires they run, and this also usuallly means higher performance rubber.

IMHO swapping out stock wheels for different looking wheels of the same size with the same tires is a waste of time unless your car came with huge rims already or you absolutely hate the way the stockers look.

Be careful about what style you choose. I recently read an interesting discussion about how a certain rim style looked smaller because the spokes did not go all the way to the edge of the wheel and had a machined lip instead. There are a lot of visual subtleties involved when you choose wheel styling. HTH :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Strictly stock design only at this point of my life. As you mentioned a well maintained (detailed) stock vehicle always attracts my attention more than an after-market dressed vehicle. All my Chevys had the plain stock wheels and so does the Lexus. Trends come and they go. 20 years ago gold BBS and Panasports were the rave now chrome wheels with every conceivable design and diameter are in vogue. Original (stock) design will always be in style and appear coordinated.

With that said, when I was younger ( high school and college years) I replaced the stock wheels for a more noticable designs and increased function ( wider ) for my lesser cars ( VW, Rx7) but since the Vette and to present I have stuck with stock.

Call me cheap. :nixweiss or just satisfied with the original product I brought. . I would rather save that $3-4000 for my next vehicle purchase. JMO :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that this thread is going to point out is that putting aftermarket wheels on a car (along with customizing in general) is based on individual preference. In my case, I love the rims that came on the Maxima (I still plan to keep them) but I like to jazz or spice things up a little.

With that said, I have seen quite a few rims that look good on T-Birds like yours and you really don`t have to stray from Ford. I have seen quite a few T-Birds with the older Cobra rims and they look pretty nice. I think Tire Rack carries those rims as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    PrinzII is correct with saying it`s individual preference. I absolutely HATE the gawdy, chrome 22" wheels and all that `spinner-wheel` jazz. It just doesn`t do it for me at all. However, you`ll never find me driving a car with stock wheels. If you find a nice set of wheels that compliments your car, it will totally change the look of your vehicle for the best. Here`s a before and after picture of mine. Stock wheels are 17`s and the current are 18".

Stockers

18x9"/18x10" Volk Racing GT-C`s

Brandon
    1994 Supra turbo SP67

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/
    picture/sraid65/
    pf24d52e9792f6c49a0daef1b40273d52/
    fbed84f8.jpg[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    (Thanks to whomever moved the post here)

Nice Supra, I love those things.

I agree it`s personal preference, but I`m also thinking about public opinion, or if I were to one day think the car is local car show material, how would it be received?

Here`s what I`m considering: Ford Cobra R style rims, not chrome, just silver. I`ll be going from16X7 to 17x9, which fits the car better, and going up to a much wider tire (225 to a 255). I like the stockers, but just think they`re dated & bulky looking, plus that directional "issue". There is one of mine that is not quite the same color, darker, like it might have been taken from another car if the original got damaged. That bugs me. The ones I`m considering are pretty subdued, and are a Ford style, so it (maybe) won`t look mismatched, maybe even stock-ish (the goal).

Here`s a car I wanted to get, I missed it, but it already had these wheels. This is just what the car will look like, same wheels:

My car, with stockers:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, actually I quite like the way your car looks right now. One thing about factory wheels is that the styling usually matches the vehicle better.

I like the way people are thinking in this thread. Understated, simple rim designs are better IMO because they`re less "trendy" and less likely to go out of style than wild-looking designs. That example that blkZ28Conv gave is perfect. I`m parital to simple 5 or 6 spoke designs myself, and think the Cobra R`s look good. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. From the pictures you posted above, your car looks great with the stock wheels, but I think that Autopian shine has a lot to do with it. I really like the way those Cobra R wheels look though. They add a nice touch to the car. It also looks like the car you posted with the Cobra wheels has a slight drop. I`d suggest you do that also if you decide to go with aftermarket wheels to clean up the wheel gap.
    1994 Supra turbo SP67

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/
    picture/sraid65/
    pf24d52e9792f6c49a0daef1b40273d52/
    fbed84f8.jpg[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that, Ford left a really big gap in the front wheel well. I think that there`s a set of springs that is 1.25" rear and 1.5" front drop, which would clean it up about right. Something with some rake to it. That would be the plan, following whatever I do here. The wheels and tires wouldn`t be overly expensive, I think about 1200 or so all together. If it were 3-4k I wouldn`t even consider it. I think the digital camera is a little generous to the appearance of my wheels. I`d still have to replace that 4th wheel that isn`t so bright, or have them all painted to match. 16`s on a bulky car like this just seem a little too small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the 18/17 inch combo on my 300zx. IMO they don`t even compare to stock. Gives the car a completely different look.

HRE`s on the 300ZX

More
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my wheels, as it makes my car different from another one. They also allowed me to fit some 275/35-18`s on the front, and some 335/30-18`s on the rear. The rear tires are over 13" wide, and give the car a truly Wicked look.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow that`s a nice vette! are those European/Japanese tail lights?
    2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl DC2

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedSled91SC

a) Thank you. I was the one who moved it.

b) When I was younger, I wanted to get a Super Coupe in black. I looked at aftermarket rims for the `Bird and decided I wanted these:

Ronal R9 in Black

Then I wound up looking at these in 17" or 18" in chrome.

Azev Type A

Outside of the wheels, I wanted to throw a 3rd Gen Firebird Pedestal spoiler on the car and came up with an audio system I wanted to throw in it (Kenwood, a/d/s, Audio Control)

As you can probably guess, I like rims that have an aggressive edge to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they look good if they match the car. You can`t really go wrong with a 5 star wheel. They are pretty universaly good looking on every car I think. I like these a lot better than my stock 15s.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks WalkmanX! The tail lights are red/white euro spec tail lights. they are standard in Europe. They also come in red/amber, and look pretty good when mixed too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information