Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am checking my Carrera C4S over for this weekends driving event at Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis. I am adjusting up the Bilsteins from street mode to track settings and checking everything for safety.

The photo illustrates how stiff the Porsche chassis is.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice...amazing aren`t they? I`m getting ready for DE here at Road Atlanta, taking my 79` 930 Turbo and going to try and stay on the track..facing the right direction.....

Do you use any of the clear film protectors on your car for events?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brad B.

Hope you have fun, but doesn`t that pict just illustrate where the car`s center of gravity is relative to the jacking point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

Hope you have fun, but doesn`t that pict just illustrate where the car`s center of gravity is relative to the jacking point?

It`s true, the Carrera is rear weight biased, but when the jack is put under the front jacking point ( a few inches behind the door seam) and the front wheel is raised off the ground the rear will follow as well! These cars are tight.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Opus

Very nice...amazing aren`t they? I`m getting ready for DE here at Road Atlanta, taking my 79` 930 Turbo and going to try and stay on the track..facing the right direction.....

Do you use any of the clear film protectors on your car for events?

Cheers!

I have the entire nose and arches behind the front and rear wheels covered in film to protect from chips. I still may cover the car with a padded bra which covers additional areas.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Brad! And watch that tail coming around!

Post Thanks / Like

It`s true, the Carrera is rear weight biased, but when the jack is put under the front jacking point ( a few inches behind the door seam) and the front wheel is raised off the ground the rear will follow as well! These cars are tight.

Well, not just front to back cg, but top to bottom too (and left to right, but that should be pretty much in the middle). All I mean is most cars don`t do that, but not because the frame bends like a noodle or anything. Suspension travel/stiffness would likely play a part as well. I`m sure your car is tight, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

Well, not just front to back cg, but top to bottom too (and left to right, but that should be pretty much in the middle). All I mean is most cars don`t do that, but not because the frame bends like a noodle or anything. Suspension travel/stiffness would likely play a part as well. I`m sure your car is tight, though.

If you look closely, you can see that not only is the passenger side raised up, but the driver`s side rear is also coming up. Considering the jack is under the frame rail which looks to be about 10" inside the rocker panel, that is an extremely stiff chassis. Of course, I would expect nothing less from a Porsche.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful machine to take to a track and let it run free. I`m very jealous.

It`s so shiny too.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RemmoSi

It`s so shiny too.:xyxthumbs

It`s not so shiny now! But it was worth it!!!!! My weekend DE event at Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis was a blast. I ran through two tanks of Premium gas. I think I got about 5mpg. I guess hitting the rev limiter so often is bad for fuel economy? I took about 5000 miles off my Bridgestone SO2`s. I cut about a year out of my brake pads. And I`m gonna sign up and do it again as soon as I can. Woohoo!

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, pinging engines off the rev limiters are hard on gas mileage. When I took my Beemer (yes, a bike) to Laguna Seca last year. I burned off the brakes pads down to the backing almost, and got about 200 km out of the tank, when I normall get almost 400 km out of a tank.

Oh yeah, you`re going to spend a lot of time cleaning off the rubber marks from the melted rubber too. Check your oil too, I bet you`re down a bit there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by IndigoGTI

If you look closely, you can see that not only is the passenger side raised up, but the driver`s side rear is also coming up.

That`s two neat tricks: a) being able to lift the whole car up from one side and b) being able to tell the drivers side is coming up when you can`t even see the wheels.

Anyway, those picts are great Brad! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I can do that too! :spot The front is raised just enough that I could pull the wheel, and the back is only touching on the outside edge. I also have a lot more suspension travel than you do, especially in the rear. If I`d raised the front tire as far off the ground as in your picture, the back would have been way off as well (and the jack would have been way overextended and I`d have been awfully glad I chocked the other side)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s another shot where you can better see that the tire is lifted on the inside. But the picture just isn`t as cool...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Your Porsche looks incredible!

I`m sorry if this is off subject but what clear film protectors are you using an were do you get them? Do they work well?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information