Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ahunt01

Well the wing does serve a purpose, to keep the car from breaking loose on high speed turns with more downforce.

Are you kidding? Do you think most of those spoilers even have an angle on them? Also, generally spoilers that generate actual downforce are attached to the frame of the car, not the trunklid. I don`t think if they generated anything other than windnoise the trunk would be able to handle it... Plus I`d bet most of those FWD cars (yes, mine is FWD too) push or understeer in sharp turns. Rear downforce will do little to help that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the better made large metal spoilers can be angled so they will provide downforce. Even if it`s attached to the trunklid, it should still provide downforce, unless the trunklid pushes in when it encounters force (wind) or the spoiler can not be angled. I think it`s clear that they do provide downforce to the car, I have several superstreet magazines, and there are a small few of people who have put lots of $ into their 500+ HP cars, and almost 90% of them have the large metal wings.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like

Even if it`s attached to the trunklid, it should still provide downforce, unless the trunklid pushes in when it encounters force (wind)

What do you think would happen if you stood on that spoiler with your feet right over the uprights? I guarantee you I`d f- that trunk up and I`m only about 140 lbs. If you are only going to provide like 20 lbs. of downforce, why bother?

Are the folks who put the $$$ into their 500hp+ rice rockets running road courses? You don`t need downforce at the 1/4 mile track... And if they`ve put that kind of money in their cars, perhaps they have beefed up the trunk under the uprights or attached the spoiler uprights right to the body. I`ve never read "superstreet" magazines, but I suspect they are more about show than about only improving performance?

Post Thanks / Like
    For something completely different, My Truck.:bounce

I`ve added to my 97 F150 Lariat 4X4 SC a Line-X Bed Liner, Power Rear Slider, 16X8 Chrome Centerline Starfire wheels, 305-70 16 Goodyear AT/S tires, an Alpine Alarm, Deflecta-Shield Sportrends Running Boards, a Better Built tool chest in the bed, Nu Finish polish, a 4" Pro-Comp Lift, MX-6 adjustable shocks, and a WWW.F150Online.com sticker.

BOB
    73 XLCH Sportster Blackfire and Pig Spit 01 Prius Blackfire 01 330 CiC Original Blackfire and S-100 04 Pilot, Blackfire 06 H-D FXSTBI, S-100

Post Thanks / Like
    And if they`ve put that kind of money in their cars, perhaps they have beefed up the trunk under the uprights or attached the spoiler uprights right to the body. I`ve never read "superstreet" magazines, but I suspect they are more about show than about only improving performance?
    Yes they might have beefed up the trunk, I havn`t seen too many cars with the spoiler attached to the body, atleast in imports. Maybe the imports in magazines, the fast ones, have the trunks beefed up making it functional, where as alot of ordinary people just slap them on. Kinda like just slapping on a muffler to stock pipes/airbox/headers/catilitic converter.

Superstreet magazine has some show, but it has alot about speed also. They catour more to expensive imports like WRXs, Supras, Skylines, and on the other end of the spectrum, Civics. Truthfully, I rarely see any of those cars without a high wing, and turbos. I can`t argue with you that the spoilers look rice though lol.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they might have beefed up the trunk, I havn`t seen too many cars with the spoiler attached to the body, atleast in imports. Maybe the imports in magazines, the fast ones, have the trunks beefed up making it functional, where as alot of ordinary people just slap them on. Kinda like just slapping on a muffler to stock pipes/airbox/headers/catilitic converter.

Superstreet magazine has some show, but it has alot about speed also. They catour more to expensive imports like WRXs, Supras, Skylines, and on the other end of the spectrum, Civics. Truthfully, I rarely see any of those cars without a high wing, and turbos. I can`t argue with you that the spoilers look rice though lol.

I too read SS....I personally think its an aewsome Mag. As for aluminum wings go....i don`t care for them. I have an OEM mid high wing on my Si (swapped out the commando) and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have seen 99% of Altezzas leak... Also, where I live, everyone that has Altezzas has them because "they make the car look so unique" but in reality everyone here has them. It`s kinda like the whole Gothic getup, they dress like that to be different but in reality there is tons of people that dress the same so they aren`t that different. IMO leaving the Red/white taillights stock is different lol.

:bounce
    My favorite is the Ford F150 Harley Davidson, with the "Tough Guy" driving it.

He makes fun of my Sentra (and he`s never been to see me at SoloII where I clean up...), but he has clear tails and 20" chrome rims....
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

- Hey, U Missed A Spot - CleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    -K&N Filter

-Full Exhaust

-CentreForce Dual Friction Clutch

-NGK Plugs & 8mm Wires

-Apex Lowering Springs

-Cranes Cam(died) MSD Igntion Amp & Tach Adaptor

-Cranes Cam Coil

-OBX Fuel Pressure Regulator

-GM F-Body Fuel Pump

-Polished Cragar Rims

-Mickey Thompson Slicks (for the track)

-Zex Nitrous Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    The good old days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Got Gas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got Gas?

Sure is a fast and easy way to kill an engine... I`ve known too many guys to blow up perfectly good "beefed up" motors using Nitrous Oxide IMO (and alot of mechanics), n20 isn`t worth it.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    N2o is the best bang for your buck......when tuned properly...Plus Nitrous only extends problems when there is something already there...

You can say the same thing about a turbo or supercharger when you boost up the pounds...

Post Thanks / Like
    N2o is the best bang for your buck
    You can say the same thing about a turbo or supercharger when you boost up the pounds
    Yes both are true, when building up the motor then that greatly reduces the wear and tear from a turbo/supercharger. I think n20 will wear out a motor much quicker than f/i, but i guess that depends on how much you use it.

Because n20 can add alot of hp for minimal cost, I was thinking about it, but too many mechanics warned me about it on a stock motor. For less bang for the buck, but longer engine life, I decided on a supercharger not running hard, around 6 psi for a turbo.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    How the hell do you guys afford these kinds of mods??? Luster, that`s a huge list you`ve got and you`ve spent no more than I have. I must be a terrible bargain hunter because so far, I`ve spent around the same amount as you and all I have to show for it are:

Koni Yellow adj.

Eibach Pro-Kit

Brembo brake/rotor kit

K&N FIPK Short Ram Intake

Tanabe H-spec catback

The stuff I plan to get eventually is going to cost at least another 5 grand for a total of over $8K, but my list will still be 1/10th the size of yours. I don`t even have a set of rims yet. What`s going on here?! BTW, these mods are on my Civic.

BTW, I hate not being able to get a true header b/c of Calif`s CARB restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intermezzo, is there a reason why you have a Brembo brake kit?

Nitrous, Turbocharger, Supercharger.

All work to get the same goals....more power. Many people say nitrous isnt safe because other people they know blew up their engines. As with all power adders, the #1 reason it blew up because of lack of tuning. Theres just too many people (ESPECIALLY since The Fast and the Furious hit theaters) that dont know what the hell theyre doing. You just hear more nitrous users blowing up their engine because most people get the cheapest thing they can afford. There was a stock block integra running a 100-200 shot that was from San Diego. If you were on SHO before it turned into rice, his name was SDStreetracer. Last time I heard, he was still on the same setup with no problems.

Heres a picture of a fried piston...because of nitrous. Ran too lean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information