Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard great things about the Stop Techs and they sure look great. I know several 300zx owners that have gotten them and they love em.

For the 300zx they go for around $1900 for the set. They also come in red calipers.

Looks awesome...:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

I have heard great things about the Stop Techs and they sure look great. I know several 300zx owners that have gotten them and they love em.

For the 300zx they go for around $1900 for the set. They also come in red calipers.

Looks awesome...:up

These were around $1600 including the rear rotors, pads, & SS lines... not bad compared to similar systems from Brembo, Prodrive, AP Racing, etc. Red anodized calipers were an option, but over $100 more so it wasn`t worth it to me. I like the sleeper look anyway
    -Chip

2002 Subaru WRX (World Rally Blue Pearl), 1989 Alfa Romeo Milano (Black)

http://www.fastalfas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW.

WOW.

WOW.

Holy smoke, those are gorgeous!

1 less excuse for those off-track excursions, though!

Nice setup.:bounce
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the brakes you removed they were last on WRXs in Australia in the 1998 model - and they are not flash. Since then the WRX has had its brakes improved twice. Now you have 4 pin front calipers and two at the rear.

The WRX STI comes here with Brembos standard, but they use a 17 inch rim now.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Michael H

Looking at the brakes you removed they were last on WRXs in Australia in the 1998 model - and they are not flash. Since then the WRX has had its brakes improved twice. Now you have 4 pin front calipers and two at the rear.

The WRX STI comes here with Brembos standard, but they use a 17 inch rim now.

The brakes on the US WRX are 2 piston sliding calipers with vented 11.4 inch rotors in front and single piston sliding calipers with 10.3 inch solid rotors in the rear. The stock brakes are definitely the weakest link, especially once you start making signifigantly more power than stock.

The STi is FINALLY coming to the US an it will also come with the Brembos
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I promised a report on how the brakes did at the track so here it is.

First, a picture of me out on the track

The StopTechs worked great! For some stupid reason I didn`t listen to the advice of the StopTech guys and I did the track event on my street pads (Axxis Ultimates)... so I did get a tiny bit of fade, but the brakes were very very good even with me pushing very hard (chasing down and passing Corvette Z06s ). The track we were at was also very hard on brakes.

Because of my stupidity I did have a small problem though. When you keep pushing a pad when it`s past it`s max operating temp it starts to deposit uneven pad material on the rotor, which causes a nasty vibration. This happened on the 2nd session Saturday, so by Sunday afternoon the vibration had gotten pretty bad. The brakes still worked very well at slowing the car, but the whole car felt like it could shake to pieces. doh!

Here is a pic of what my rotors and pads looked like when I got home, you can see the deposits on the rotor pretty well:

Normally I would just take the rotors off and have them resurfaced to fix the problem, but StopTech advised me to try something different, as machining 2-piece floating rotors has a whole set of issues by itself. So they sent me some race pads (Hawk Blue 9012 to be exact). They told me that the Hawks were VERY abrasive to the rotor when they were not up to temp so I should put them in and do a couple hard stops, then cool the brakes, then do a couple more stops until the vibration went away. So that I did... and it was kinda scarey... it was night time and every time I laid on the brakes, showers of sparks poured out of the front wheels!! :shocked I wish I had my video camera on me, it must have been a strange sight from the side of the road!! To make an already long story short, the race pads did their magic and the vibration went away and all I had to do was repeat the bedding-in procedure for my street pads and the brakes are back to 100% once again. And I learned my lesson and will DEFINITELY be using race pads when I go to the track next time!

I give StopTech an A+ for an awesome product, and an A++++++ for their EXCELLENT customer support! :xyxthumbs
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a couple more pics from the track:

Scooby about to overtake a little Alfa...

Shannon with her car in the pits...

Shannon out on the track...

Enjoy!
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    wow.. thats a cool car. I wish my car could handle half as well

love those brakes... how much did they cost you?

full brake upgrades(brembos 2000, Rotara 1500) are expensive..

so Ive just gone with rotors and pads for now.. i still need SS brake lines..

also how do you get to participate in track events like that.. Ive been wanting to try my hand or learn even though my car is pretty unwieldy.. hopefully sways/strut/springs will fix it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AzN Retribution

wow.. thats a cool car. I wish my car could handle half as well

love those brakes... how much did they cost you?

full brake upgrades(brembos 2000, Rotara 1500) are expensive..

so Ive just gone with rotors and pads for now.. i still need SS brake lines..

also how do you get to participate in track events like that.. Ive been wanting to try my hand or learn even though my car is pretty unwieldy.. hopefully sways/strut/springs will fix it soon.

I do track events with the SoCal Alfa Romeo Owners Club. Best bet would be to check with any racetracks local to you and get a schedule of clubs running opentrack events and then contact them to find out safety requirements and cost, etc. You could also find out if there are any Autocross events near you, that`s a really good chance to try out your car`s handling and explore the limits without worrying about bending your car.
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    I could not see the pics the first time I looked, I am very glad I tried again. VERY VERY nice I have been hearing more and more good things about Stoptech.

Have fun on the track and keep the shiny side up:up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information