Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`m going to have to get my rear windows tinted soon - on hot days my black leather interior is murder!

I want to get a tint on the "dark" side to keep it as cool as possible, but I am waffling between 35% and 20% because I don`t want to have too much trouble driving and backing up at night. Suggestions? What percent tint are those dark OEM tints you see on newer Chrysler minivans?

I`ve heard a lot of people recommend Madico and Llumar, but what about SunGard? Are they any good? (SunGard is quite common here.) Any other recommended lines?

Thanks people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t get a dyed tint, it will fade to a purple color after a few years. Get a full metal film.

As for the %, I would go with 35%. It will look dark but still allow you to see at night. Your lucky, the maximum in Ohio is 50%
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Don`t get a dyed tint, it will fade to a purple color after a few years. Get a full metal film.

As for the %, I would go with 35%. It will look dark but still allow you to see at night. Your lucky, the maximum in Ohio is 50%
    Yeah I know, I read your thread

I forgot to mention I know about the dyed vs metalized issue. The mid-range SunGard tint is a semi-metallized hybrid (metal and dyed) and I don`t hear much about this. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard to stay away from the hybrid films as well, they still fade just not as much. Full metal is the best, that way there is not even the risk of fading. Downside is it costs more.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Luckily my factory rear window and rear sides have that dark tint....It does make for reflections at night....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Guess My Name

Luckily my factory rear window and rear sides have that dark tint....It does make for reflections at night....
    Reflections? I always thought the main problem with dark tint at night was that it was too dim?

Post Thanks / Like
    i have 20% on all of my windows...it isnt too dark at night....i wish i would have gone darker....the only time i had to roll down my window to see where i had to turn is when i went camping...no lights, pitch black and a wooden fench right in my way

Post Thanks / Like
    btw...get 3m or johnson tint..they are the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I have 05% tint in the back and have no trouble at all backing up, and it keeps my black leather nice and cool.

The kind of tint I have right now is quantum, it was more expensive than the other tints, but it looks really good, and almost gives a mirror appearance, but its still legal while mirror tint isnt, its supposed to last 20 years:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks people, I guess I`m leaning a bit more towards 20% now. I also found a few OEM tint numbers and they`re like 30% to somewhere in the low 20`s anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 5% in my rear windows on the SVT until I got busted by the local police. 5% was perfect....kept the car nice and cool. loved the privacy feeling. and i replaced my reverse lights with a stronger bulb. I live in the woods where the only thing I might see is deer`s teeth when it smiles.....so, in short, with the stronger bulbs, I didn`t find too difficult to drive at night with that tint. Not to mention - you tend to laugh at people when they high beam you - cause it doesn`t bother you one bit.

but since you don`t want to go tooooo too dark, go with 20%.....fully metallic. You`ll love it....I know my fiance did when she got in my car and didn`t get a 3rd degree burn from the leather! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 20% all around on my civic... looks amazing in the day... i really have to reiterate the point about getting the good quality tint vs the cheap stuff. It` really makes a difference. With out street lights at night it`s a little hard to see out the back (like backing out of my driveway) but if there is light or cars behind you 20% isn`t to dark. Looks great on a black car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they make a window tint that works similar to Transitions Lenses? To get an idea of what I am talking about, go to www.transitions.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like 3M film too! I`ve got 20% all around and it looks as good today as the day it was installed years ago. I really wanted darker at the time, but they convinced me to go with 20%. What I really like about the 3M film is that it stays plenty dark on the outside and maintains very good optics on the inside. I generally never have a problem night driving because the film is so clear and light on the inside. By comparison, my Dad and I installed some el cheapo film ourselves on his truck and the otpics of that tint are horrible. You definitely get what you pay for!

I recommend you check out several local shops and see their work and how dark they will tint for you. Around here the legal limit is 35%, and some shops won`t tint below this while others could care less and leave the responsibility up to the car owner. Cops could care less about tint here and I see plenty of people running around with 5%. I like 20% though and would probably get that again. It`s a perfect balance of being dark, protecting the interior from excessive heat and sun, while maintaining good clarity inside. It also makes the car look sweet!

Thread Information