Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve finally gotten started working on my truck again. My initial plan was to go with a simple solid color but that changed. I figured if I wanted some more side work it would be beneficial to have something kinda flashy that would catch the eye and possibly start a conversation. I have some issues with the black basecoat that is on it right now starting to release from the primer below so it`s a full strip on this one. I`m doing a metallic red on the top with a silver/grey pinstripe and white on the bottom. The pinstripe and both colors will flow through the door jambs and partially through the fenders. 3 coats of clear will be applied and the next weekend I will flow coat 3 more coats. Here is what I have done so far:

Epoxy Primer:

2k Primer:

Stripping the doors down I found a good bit of damage so I purchased a 3rd door, passenger door and an HD hood.

3rd door damage:

Lower rear cab repair:

Evercoat Everglass:

Evercoat Rage Gold and Metal Glaze:

Jambs:

Fender:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, looks like you`re getting a lot done!

You going to do the frame while so much of it is exposed anyhow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Questions.

If that primer an expoxy primer or primer/sealer? I hope not just a surface primer.

Second, where you did the drill and pull on the bottom of the doors or anywhere else, as soon as you get the paint on, before you put the panels, etc, back in place, apply a wax based rust preventative to the inside of the panels, especially down on the hem flanges.

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Ah, looks like you`re getting a lot done!

You going to do the frame while so much of it is exposed anyhow?

Yeah I`m going to be blasting the frame and doing something with it. Haven`t decided yet. Might just blast and por15 it since it won`t be exposed to uv rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Questions.

If that primer an expoxy primer or primer/sealer? I hope not just a surface primer.

Second, where you did the drill and pull on the bottom of the doors or anywhere else, as soon as you get the paint on, before you put the panels, etc, back in place, apply a wax based rust preventative to the inside of the panels, especially down on the hem flanges.

It`s 2 coats of epoxy primer, allowed to flash and then 2 coats of 2k primer. If you read just above the picture of the 3rd door with the damage it says I bought a replacement 3rd door and passenger door. I was just showing what I found when stripping the paint away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz
    Yeah I`m going to be blasting the frame and doing something with it. Haven`t decided yet. Might just blast and por15 it since it won`t be exposed to uv rays..

I suggest you look into KBS Coatings (link: KBS Coatings - Rust Prevention - Gas Tank Sealer - Stop Rust Paint - Clear Coat Paints ) as I find their RustSeal to be utterly superior to POR15. I also prefer Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator over the POR15, but I think the KSB stuff might be better for what you`re doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I suggest you look into KBS Coatings (link: KBS Coatings - Rust Prevention - Gas Tank Sealer - Stop Rust Paint - Clear Coat Paints ) as I find their RustSeal to be utterly superior to POR15. I also prefer Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator over the POR15, but I think the KSB stuff might be better for what you`re doing.

I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully my paint will be in next week sometime. Took them 3 days to process my order and part of it is coming from California. I want to go ahead and do my jambs and art work here at the house and then take the truck to a paint booth to do the outside colors. The new House of Kolor Shimrin 2 solvent basecoats have a lower VOC than waterborne now which is pretty awesome. They are all a little more expensive but still reasonable priced considering what some of the other name brands are. I only have the top of the truck left to strip down and hopefully I can get that done tomorrow and in primer. Everything else is ready for final sanding other than a small dent in the replacement door and one on the hood. I will post more pics tonight as I have gotten a good bit more done since I posted last. Waiting on my epoxy primer to "induct" then I`m ready to spray some metal!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Shipments started rolling in today. A gallon of white base and a qt of metallic grey should be here tomorrow.

I will get a better pic of the red later with my camera. The phone doesn`t do the color justice. Looks really nice.

Ordered 4 ounces of this. Got something planned for it but I will have to do some experimenting before final decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz
    Shipments started rolling in today....Ordered 4 ounces of this. Got something planned for it but I will have to do some experimenting

Hmmm...wonder what you`re up to :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Love bugs were out in swarms yesterday. Trying to do some filler and I guess they are attracted to it. Had them all in my face and some even landed in my Rage Gold. I did find out that wax and grease remover kills them though. Talk about a pain in the arse. Got my other door stripped down and repaired. Seems that they changed the wiring harness so I had to take the old one out of my other door and put it in the new one. Had a few dents in the lower panel to fix on it as well. Got the hood pretty much squared away too. I thought it was in great shape. After pressure washing it I ended up finding 19 dents in it so I spent a lot of time getting those worked out. I also found out that it had been painted 3 times. I had a 2011 F-150 that I repaired a door a while back and it was the same way. The guy bought it brand new from the dealership though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t wait to see the afters!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the House of Kolor KD3000 DTS primer surfacer as a sealer on the jambs. I must say that stuff is pretty amazing. I mixed it 4:1:2 and it sprayed extremely smooth. Nice thing about it is that there is no induction period, can be applied directly to metal and sands really easy. I let it flash for 30 minutes and then painted. Even mixed as a medium build surfacer it sprays really nice.

My friends the love bugs have been visiting. This was from 1 day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. Nice 2 tone.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fender and jambs matching up:

Under hood damage and fix. Ended up using some pry bars, pliers and body hammers. It was dented pretty much all the way down the side. I really need to order a stud gun...

Got the HD hood on. I think it`s going to look nice when it`s all finished up. Love the shape of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gettng all the surfaces on those hinge/springs covered must`ve been a challenge! They`ll sure look good in that color compared to the usual black. Nice to see a well-done battery tray too :xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information