Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinch
    Congradulations on the new ride! While I trust it all works out just the way you have it planned; I wouldn`t be too surprised if once you correct the rest of the vehicle it doesn`t completely match the newly sprayed front end. It happens!

This is my primary concern, of course; that the attempt to match the right side with the left will be in vain and I will have a lot less money and a lot more frustration. I know nothing about painting cars. Am I in effect just `kicking the can down the road` and potentially uncovering new problems for myself by mucking with the `good` OE paint? Some have suggested that already, I think. Is there some standard painter`s protocol here that I am ignorant of, something along the lines of less is more? Ron said earlier to leave it alone or do the whole car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinch
    Congradulations on the new ride! While I trust it all works out just the way you have it planned; I wouldn`t be too surprised if once you correct the rest of the vehicle it doesn`t completely match the newly sprayed front end. It happens!

Hoping for the best Kevin!

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to provide an update on my continuing dilemma. The quote today is for between $1000-$1200 to do the right side of the car in hopes of matching the left side. As mentioned above I`m probably the only one who would notice that the left and right don`t presently match as you can`t see both sides at once; still, this has bedeviled me for some time. I`m aware of the risk; namely, that after this added expense it might not match any better than it does today... Does this quote change anyone`s opinion on what I should do?

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds about right for the type of job you have discussed. My opinion remains the same

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vtextc
    ..[considering that quote]... My opinion remains the same

Heh heh, same here...noting that vtextc and I are on opposite sides of this fence

They planning to remove the door handles and any side trim? What about the trim around the sideglass? The bumper covers are coming off, right?

I sincerely wish you the best, whichever way you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds about right for the type of job you have discussed. My opinion remains the same

A

Thanks, Asif, for your post. I`m leaning in the direction of having the work done but there is a part of me that feels like I`m fixating on this point and that if I could let it go for a little while I would begin to see this `dilemma` in a greater context...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, same here...noting that vtextc and I are on opposite sides of this fence

They planning to remove the door handles and any side trim? What about the trim around the sideglass? The bumper covers are coming off, right?

I sincerely wish you the best, whichever way you go.

Thanks for the well wishes, Accumulator. The XLR has no door handles or side trim to remove and the bumper on the right side, like the left, will not be painted. Still, your concerns resonate with me and I continue to question which course of action to take, if any...

Post Thanks / Like
    dug-mac- I won`t beat you over the head with my opinion any more but I *will* say that IMO "when in doubt, just keep thinking". Once you do it, there`s no going back so I`d be *absolutely certain* that you`re doing what`s right for you.

Hey, I`d somehow missed/forgotten that we were talking about an XLR! Those are cool cars, never quite caught on with the masses but they`re a rare case of "that styling" that even *I* can appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like
    dug-mac- I won`t beat you over the head with my opinion any more but I *will* say that IMO "when in doubt, just keep thinking". Once you do it, there`s no going back so I`d be *absolutely certain* that you`re doing what`s right for you.

So very true. All the best Dug!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I`d somehow missed/forgotten that we were talking about an XLR! Those are cool cars, never quite caught on with the masses but they`re a rare case of "that styling" that even *I* can appreciate.

The XLR is a car that I had my eyes on for years and finally last May I purchased one. It is a fun car that definitely stands out styling wise. Your posts and "less is more" approach has caused me to pause, Accumulator. Currently I`m trying to disassociate myself from the `problem` to see if it is something that I will gain a greater perspective on. Just the other day I was driving the car and for one tiny moment when my mind turned to the `issue` I had to try to recall which side had already been painted - I consider this progress in a strictly personal sense...

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    So very true. All the best Dug!

The understanding and support of you guys really means a lot to me! Thanks Asif and everyone else in this thread.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Dug-Mac- Heh heh, I too consider your momentary lapse to be "progress"

Just FWIW, if that thing were mine, I`d be all about doing a *COMPLETE* detail, and I don`t mean "polishing the paint" nearly as much as I mean doing the areas that most people never see. I`d have it up on jackstands with the wheels off, doing the undercarriage/wells/engine compartment/etc. as if I were taking it to a big concours. I`d simply *LOVE* to get that car assembly-line-new in that sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I understand where you are going with this, Accumulator - invest my time, blood, sweat and tears in other areas to increase my sense of pride of ownership. Makes good sense - thanks!

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    dug-mac- Yeah, having those out-of-the-way areas all nice and showroom *really* gives me that pride of ownership feeling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that exact same scenario on my favored S8 (18k miles, nicer than showroom other than that one occurrence, and so forth and so forth.) and I chose to live with the distinction and I`m extremely happy I did. After [however many] years it doesn`t trouble me the way it once did, and I have more certainty in the unmolested OE paint than I`d have in any repaint, regardless of how great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information