Post Thanks / Like
    On a 70K vehicle, one would not expect thin paint on the non exposed edges.

I indeed had this on the inside of the doors, quarter panels, Back D Trunk Panels, etc.

I noticed this around the 1st year or ownership and they had a local shop do some blending....

Fast forward to now. 10 year old car. Just got some bodywork done. It looks like under the very top of the hood, underside, where they must have used tape, etc to tape off the windshield....it must have lifted this original problematic paint issue. Just noticed it today as I was using the wipers and I was seeing white primer ....in that area.

What should I do . Should I leave it as is. It`s not exposed the the UV - elements wise, but that area obviously see`s it fair share of water when it rains, if not snow/water/moisture when it snows and it`s left out.

Will the primer be sufficient enough....or should I be seeking a shop to paint this area. Not really looking to spend $$$ on a 10 year old car at this point....as she`s a keeper for maybe another year or 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    When a vehicle is paint finished at the assembly plant, the first coating applied is the "e-coat", also known as "uni-prime". This first coating is the main defense from corrosion.

over it is applied a surface primer to even out the surface and then the base/clear coats.

E-Coat is very senstive to UV exposure and if allowed, will exhibit a "powdery" surface as it breaks down, and is not longer able to protect the metal surface from corrosion.

The surface primers, in your case white, which I would gather you have a black vehicle, is also there to add protection to the e-coat from UV ray penetration.

Since you indicate that you will not be keeping the vehicle must longer, my suggestion to go back to the shop and see if they will give you an ounce of the base coat paint and just scuff the small area with a 3M scuff pad or 1000 grit paper, and carefully "brush" a little base coat on the area.

No picture so have no idea of how large an area, it may be that a "Dupli-Color" touch up tube available at most national auto parts stores may have enough paint to cover the area.

While not a "perfect" fix, it will aid in resisting of moisture from perhaps "crawling" under the rest of the paint film.

That`s cheapest, easy fix or you can go for a more expensive fix of a bodyshop.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ron. Figuered just as much. I would never attempt to paint this myself.

I`d rather just call my wheel guy to send me his guy who does touch ups on wheels and just have them spray it.

It`s not even noticeable with the hood up - you have to look for it. All you see is the noise insulation It`s probably the entire width of the hood by about 3 inches. Pretty noticeable once the wipers are in action though...

Post Thanks / Like
    That`ll work, good luck.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Thread Information