Post Thanks / Like
    shocks etc how the f*ck do you choose a set up for your ride...so many different ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Get in with your local car club, talk to people, go out for rides. Otherwise its a crapshoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, find out what works for people who actually have them and used the vehicle the way you will. But be careful as people sometimes are hesitant to say that they set their car up wrong.

Lowering springs? What about different shocks too, some cars (like, most every car I`ve ever lowered and that`s quite a few) need both. Remember to realign after the springs "settle". Make sure you have the alignment leeway to do that *before* you lower!

Lower looks cool and can be good for track days, but in the real world can lead to all sorts of problems. FWIW, I very seldom lower my cars any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Find the forums for your car and read up on which everyone like. Normally eibach sport lines and pro are the more comfortable springs. Just know that your going to have to replace your shocks after 50k or so with lowering springs the springs are brutal on shocks. I ended up buying a lightly used pair of shocks from my car forum to put the springs on so when they leak I can put my original ones back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My ride is a 2000 2dr civic coupe with 155,000 mi w/original suspension still in place,i`d proberly be happy just w/new shocks...I have driven the new 2012 civics including the si and they both handle much nicer then my car so i assume my car would greatly benefit from adding some new STR T Koni shocks...maybe I will be a shade tree mechanic and just replace shocks and if im not getting the results im after....i will add new springs too!

Post Thanks / Like
    My newer vehicle has Monroe struts. ( about 6,000 miles on them and a new stabilizer link, which is important)

My fun cars, are old Fords, and I cut a coil off of the front coils to drop the front and stiffen up the roll factor.

While at it, I replaced all the bushings with more modern bushings.

Then, after that just put on a set of Gabriel gas shocks, $20 a pop at AutoZone, etc and next thing is adding a rear sway bar.

Not like the newer vehicles, but no shock or strut is going to be all that effective after 50,000 miles.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Im still hung up on this obsession of thought...which ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan C
    Damn Im still hung up on this obsession of thought...which ones!

Heh heh, sounds to me like you need to step back and not make the decision right now

There`s a lot to consider unless you buy a spring/shock combo package...constant vs. variable...range of motion...lots of stuff.

Just don`t go all nuts trying to make it a "track car for the street". My S8 isn`t all that low but my wife`s A8 looks like it`s jacked up for offroading by comparison....guess which one I have to take when I run errands? Yeah, my "just a little lower" S8 can`t get in/out of parking lots without scraping (no matter how I try to do it).

This thread reminds me of my Mallett `vette, which I had to drive to the next town to gas up because it couldn`t handle the approaches at my local stations Watch what you wish for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like posted, whatever your vehicle and brand is, year, go to some of the sites that specialize in such parts.

They can help you pick what is right for your vehicle.

All you will need to do is decided what you are willing to give up or to gain.

Grumpy

Thread Information