Post Thanks / Like
    My girlfriend wants the hood chrome trim piece on her 2005 acura tsx painted flat black and the grille as well. The grille rigt now has plastic chrome on part of it, the rest is just plastic.

for the chrome I think I`m good with cleaning it with soap and water, wipe with a wax and grease remover, lightly sand it, wipe with 50/50 alcohol/water mix, spray with self etch primer and the spray with flat black paint.

now how do I do the rest of the grille. Do I completely sand away all the plastic chrome stuff, then what?

thanks.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

do a lot, with a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    ptownTSI- AFAIK, you really oughta get all that "plastic chrome" off before you paint. Yeah, big job-o`-work! I`d probably be thinking "air-powered abrasion" myself...though actually, *I* would be thinking more like "gee honey, that`s one really tall order...how badly do you really want it done?"

And as soon as some of that paint chips off I can imagine, uhm...dissatisfaction.

Sorry, don`t like sounding so negative

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - not to sound overly negative, but my son did the same with some plastic chrome pieces on his Civic. Looked ok for a while, but really doesn`t stand up to the continued pounding the nose of a car takes. I would recommend against it if you can convince the GF otherwise.....

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    going to go with plasti-dip actually. It won`t chip and I can take it off later. Saw it done on a TSX and it was solid.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

do a lot, with a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinyl wrap? Take the piece off, wrap it in whatever, and put it back

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean wax and grease remover, scuff with maroon scuff pad, clean with dawn and water, spray bulldog adhesion promoter and then your paint. Bulldog sells the adhesion promoter in an aerosol can but I don`t like it as much as the quart that you spray through a spray gun. Lays out a lot smoother and dries faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz
    Clean wax and grease remover, scuff with maroon scuff pad, clean with dawn and water, spray bulldog adhesion promoter and then your paint. Bulldog sells the adhesion promoter in an aerosol can but I don`t like it as much as the quart that you spray through a spray gun. Lays out a lot smoother and dries faster.

xtremekustomz right. Chrome cladding is a perfect substrate as long as it is properly prepped. Paint will stick with a proper mechanical and chemical bond.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Affordable/Mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Plasti-Dip...clearly the way to go. Wash the car, loosely mask off the area you want to paint (you want some overlap, as the overspray just peels off) and spray away with Plasti-Dip, 3 or 4 coats. Looks great, long lasting (resists rock chips better than paint) and can be removed later by peeling off if you want. Check youtube for videos on this stuff. I did my front CTS-V grills with it and they have held up great.

Mike

Thread Information