Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Everyone, I have gotten some great advice around the forum on detailing and am always anal about protecting my car from all of it`s surroundings except for it`s driver last night : /. I was pulling into a spot with a high curb last night and I gave my lower bumper a nice concrete rash as well as a hairline crack...big bummer.

The advice I need is how I should treat the scrape before trying to make it look anywhere close to half way decent with the Subaru 2 stage touch up kit. The detailers on the forum have told me Subaru`s paint is soft so I imagine it wouldn`t take much to sand down the rash but how do I do it without hurting undamaged paint? Should I just approach carefully with a smooth grade of sandpaper?
    <div>The detailing obsession might be worse than car audio for me.</div>

Post Thanks / Like
    Spot repairs are doomed to fail, the right way to fix it is going to be to repair the crack, sand and paint the whole bumper. Depending on your area, its about a $300-$500 job if you take the bumper off and bring it into a body shop.

If you just want to make it better, you can sand it down/repair and airbrush the repair, it will look from about 10 feet away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subirex09- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about the bumpercover...hey, it happens. Unfortunately, DIYing such stuff to an acceptable standard is a *LOT* tougher than most people would ever imagine. Pretty much in the "if you have to ask, don`t try it" category. Really.

Save yourself some time, frustration, and wasted money; get it professionally repaired by somebody *GOOD*. Just finding a body/paint shop that`ll do an OK job will be plenty hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s pracitically a brand new car. Don`t hack it by doing it yourself. It won`t look right and won`t last. Take it to the body shop and have them remove the bumper cover from the car, de-trim and spot repair it and refinish the whole bumper. That`s what it deserves and is what will make you happy in the end.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information