Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is why the correct tinted primer, despite what some may add, is important.

Today`s high solid paints and clears are not meant to be applied in heavy coats, or large film build.

The tint of the primer, correct for the utilized base coat, is one of the keys to getting a true match.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Part of what bothers me is their refusal to actually use any primer. I`ll have to talk to them again on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats just it...if the black paint that is on the bumper now is in good shape.... then all it needs is watersanding with 600 wet and then two ... no more than three coats of the "correct" black applied. There is no need for primer at this point. The more material you put on a bumper the rougher it looks and the greater chance of it cracking down the road. Most new OEM bumpers you buy today does not come primered and unless it needs work done to it then it doesnt need it at all. Just use the proper 3 step adhesion system then apply paint straight to the unprimered bumper. Its gonna be hard to find any body shop to test different colors of primer to get the correct match. There is no use as long as you get sufficient base coat coverage. Look at a standard spray out card..it has three different shade of primer colors on it. Light gray to dark gray. I once thought that the different colors of primer on the card were there to tell me which color of primer i should use but actually they are there only to tell me when I have proper coverage. Once you can not differentiate the dark primered area from the light primered area then you have applied sufficient base coat to cover all ranges of gray primer colors. Sometimes it takes 3 coats and sometimes it could take up to 6 or 7 coats.

However that is just my opinion, I do this for a living and have made every mistake possible...atleast I like to think so anyway lol...and I know everyone has there own ways of doing things to some extent. Good luck.

PS: Note... I use only PPG products... Global and Deltron. Maybe that is a greater issue with Dupont. Not sure and of course no offense. PPG just offerred me a better deal and service..so we are happy. Just not too happy about how ridiculous the prices have become for all autobody supplies but thats a whole different subject...lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully they can match it. Third time`s the charm as they say lol

It just seems kind of silly to me that I should be trying to figure out what they are doing wrong...almost like telling my doctor what to prescribe and how to diagnose me lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information