Thread: Cold air intake

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fairly new to performance mods but I was thinking about getting a cold air intake for my 2007 accord. I am looking at the K&N 69-1209TS. But this does not look like a true cold air to me since it just goes into the spot where the oem unit is. Would this be considered a SRI instead? Does anybody have any experience with CAI or any thoughts? Thanks.

69-1209TS - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have any direct experience with Honda intakes but I have put different intakes on several other cars. One thing I notice is that K&N offerings tend to be rather generic. This one, for instance, is offering 7hp at 5000rpm. That`s not a ton of increase and it is only achieved at a really high rpm. Have to wonder if it is worth it. It depends what you want as well. Some are more noise than real benefit.

I am pretty confident that Honda aftermarket performance places offer something better. I bet a quick search on a Honda enthusiest website will turn up many options.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re better off throwing your money into a trash can. There are very few newer cars that actually benefit from an air filter/"intake" replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are probably right Dan. The main reason I want one is not for performance but to get rid of that annoying huge box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha, have you looked around on ebay? I`d grab one of the cheaper inlet pipes, trash the filter that comes with them and get one of those nice AEM dry filters.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^That`s not a bad idea. Dry filter would be a lot easier to maintain also. My favorite part about my intake is the noise. Don`t think it really does much performance wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not thought of that but I will. What would be the difference in the filter it comes with and the dry filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the oil based filters used to break down and get sucked up into the MAF. which in turn causes all types of havoc. You should check out the Honda forums for more guidance. I have 08 Altima and will be installing a AEM cold air intake adds 4-5 horses and a stillen or Nismo exhaust. Adding both exhaust and intake helps out a bit. Just be sure if you do add a exhaust you pick one that will not Drone on the hghway

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve just never been a fan of K&N media. Even they claim it filters better when it gets more dirt in it... *** is that? If its lightly oiled, it shouldn`t cause any issues, but if its over oiled it gets on the mass airflow sensor and causes all sorts of problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve personally always liked the sound of bigger engine vehicles (6+ cyl) with an open cone filter. Since I`m long past my days of turbocharged AWD goodness (hence my user name), the sound of the air sucking in when an NA motor goes WOT is almost as good as hearing a turbo spool or a supercharger whine :xyxthumbs.

If it were me on a DD vehicle, I`d go with an open cone filter replacement over the cold air intake route. CAI`s aren very DD friendly on rainy days from what I`ve read. I`ve always been a forced induction kind of guy so I personally haven`t dealt with these issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I posted on some Honda forums I have my chose narrowed down to the K&N and a HPS shortram. I dont plan to do any other mods seeing that it is only a 4 banger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18
    ^That`s not a bad idea. Dry filter would be a lot easier to maintain also. My favorite part about my intake is the noise. Don`t think it really does much performance wise.

I`ve seen dyno pulls on a Maxima that gained 9 hp from drilling 1" holes into the filter holder (the one that slides in with the filter) and using a K&N drop-in filter. The AEM intakes do make more power. Not huge amounts, usually 5-10 hp is the best you can get from either a short ram or a cold air set up.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a cold air intake and a performance tune to my Mustang... it made a big diffference in performance, and I get better gas mileage.

Thread Information