Post Thanks / Like
    I do alot of work for dealers in my area who use the cheapest bodyshops they can to fix their vehicles. Of course cheap work = bad work and tons of runs in the bedside of this F250 I`m doing a 1-step on right now (only the bed sides were resprayed). I have already made up my mind that I am not touching these runs to fix them by wetsanding/compounding because I don`t know what the paint guy did or how much of those runs are base color and how much is clear. I know that the dealer is going to ask me if I can fix these runs and I am going to explain to him that I won`t touch them because if I end up sanding through the clear, the problem is now on me and not the bodyshop as it should be.

My question, is has anyone else had to deal with this and did you fix the runs or refuse to touch them because of the liability? I want to be 100% sure when I am refusing to do this work that I`m doing the right thing. I`d hate to lose the business to someone else who would attempt to fix the runs and not care about the liability, but I`m not taking the chance.

I think this should be sent back to the body shop and not put on a detailer to take a chance with. (I know the dealer will do anything possible to avoid sending it back to the bodyshop). What are your thoughts on this?

I see way too much of this bad body/paint work around here. I guess detailers aren`t the only ones that can be hacks!
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to your point of contact at the dealer and make that person aware of this. Explain the situation and let that person know why you won`t attempt that repair unless a waiver is signed releasing you of all liability. If the dealer wants the runs taken care and won`t sign a waiver then the smart thing tp do is refuse the job.

I have accounts with high end dealers that will sometimes ask me to fix defects like this, I refuse them all the time. Why would I open myself up to the liability when the body shop is the cause of the shoddy work and should be held liable to make it right?

In the long run it is a smarter move to walk from this job and put it back on the body shop who is the cause of the defects. Be prepared, the body shop will most likely talk sh!t to the dealer that you don`t know what you`re doing and all kinds of BS. People usually don`t like being called out on their shoddy work especially when they know they are putting out shoddy work.

Good luck.
    Richie Carbone
    Richie`s Custom Detailing
    Advanced Paint Correction Detail Services
    Specializing in Luxury & Exotic Autos

Serving Cental & South Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that more and more body shops just don`t care anymore. I know 3 shops in my area that I would trust, and that`s it. Trust me - look in the phone book yellow pages and there are quite a few out there. Even my daughters can point out mismatched paint on cars! Folks got to realize, we`re detailers not miracle workers.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Thread Information