Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting my 2005 white F-250 tinted as we speak. I talked to the guy at the shop this morning about what I wanted and he just called me with some questions.

The truck is a crew cab, back two windows and rear window has 25% (says the guy at the shop).

I told him I want 18% on the front, the back adjusted to match the front (or back a little darker), and the rear to end up with a limo result (all within reason).

He just called me a little confused, he said that he usually doesn`t deal with people wanting a `finished` percent, they just say they want x% of film.

My opinion is that if you`re a reputable shop you should be able to figure out what percentage you need to use to achieve the desired results for the customer. After his phone call I hopped online and found out how to calculate tint % (probably should have done this prior to going) but I figured an expert would have had no issue achieving what I wanted. So I`m a little worried to see what the result is later today when I pick it up.

My calculations:

Rear: Has 25% add 35% = 8.75% result

Back: Has 25% add 70% = 17.5% result

Front: Has nothing add 18% = 18% result

Granted I`m no tint expert, maybe I`m missing something here and its not as easy as I thought....

I`ll post some before/after pictures later

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought it was illegal to tint the front windows that dark in nj.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is illegal, but they stopped checking at inspection, so the only way to get in trouble is if a cop decided to pull you over and its only a 50 something dollar ticket. However, I`m at school in PA from now till December and PA cops are pretty strict so I`m a little worried about getting through the next few months. The guy at the tint shop told me in PA they give you 20 days to peel and if you don`t its a $500 fine.

18% seems dark, but on the front windows it will look lighter because of all the light through the windshield, plus I have a tan interior and a sunroof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked the truck up and after some closer inspection yesterday and today I noticed a fingerprint on the front driver side window, so I will probably take it back to see if he can fix it. The rear slider is not nearly as dark as I wanted, I asked him to make it so no one can see in (see pic below for result). I want the rear slider redone darker, should I tell him its not what I wanted (because its really not) and see if he`ll do it for free or just see if he`ll cut me a price break since I didn`t initially tell him to add x% of tint to it (I didn`t know what % of tint would need to be added, I figured him being the expert would know.)

When I went out to take pictures I noticed a decent sized gap (1/8th inch at the widest point probably) on the passenger side window, do you guys think this is acceptable? I`m a perfectionist so I know every time I sit in the passenger seat I`ll notice this.

Other than the finger print and gap I`m happy with the sides. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Before

After

Rear Slider After

Gap Passenger Side Window

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha0219
    It is illegal, but they stopped checking at inspection, so the only way to get in trouble is if a cop decided to pull you over and its only a 50 something dollar ticket. However, I`m at school in PA from now till December and PA cops are pretty strict so I`m a little worried about getting through the next few months. The guy at the tint shop told me in PA they give you 20 days to peel and if you don`t its a $500 fine.

18% seems dark, but on the front windows it will look lighter because of all the light through the windshield, plus I have a tan interior and a sunroof.

There is no 20 day rule, and the fine is $110.50
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    wonder how you know this.

Thread Information