Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at Ebay...just not sure whether stuff is genuine or not...

Fleabay has become a harbor bay for FAKES....

I`m looking to purchase Ventureshield or 3M in bulk.

Don`t need a whole box....just need a couple of linear feet for a project of mine.

Any distributors, online you guys may know of or have used.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you were in Canada i would be able to give you my suppliers number

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    I looked at Ebay...just not sure whether stuff is genuine or not...

Fleabay has become a harbor bay for FAKES....

I`m looking to purchase Ventureshield or 3M in bulk.

Don`t need a whole box....just need a couple of linear feet for a project of mine.

Any distributors, online you guys may know of or have used.

Protective Solutions

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Oracal products. Blows 3m and Ventureshield away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ventureshield is owned by 3m.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure you want a clear one and not just a solid one like a Colgan custom fitted bra?

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I looked, while owned by 3m, they still were different films optically.

Rickrack, or Pros....humor me. I`ve had tons of PPF on every car I`ve owned....top $$ custom jobs.

On the custom jobs, were you remove & tuck, or at least *tuck*, do you normally use a paper as a template or litterally hold the film slightly off the panel and just X-Acto away.

I`m going to throw this out there.....but I removed the film off one of my hoods as I was tired of it......and saw a cut mark that one would NOT normally see as it was on the very edge where the film and paint was.

I`m sure there are various techniques on how the ~custom~ is done versus plotter cut.....just curious how that cut is made...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoshiner
    Check out Oracal products. Blows 3m and Ventureshield away.

Welcome to Autopia!

Which Oracal product are you using and how user-friendly is it? I`m toying with the idea of DIYing some PPF on my latest acquisition :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know what you need I will ship you some. (425)233-6068

Post Thanks / Like
    John Kleven- Hey, that`s great, I really appreciate it. I`d thought about asking Joe (ebpcivicsi), who did the PPF on my Yukon, and I don`t want him to feel slighted...I`ll have to see which way I jump here.

I should probably start another thread lest this go off-topic, but I`m wondering what I should use for developing my patterns. ebpcivicsi used some very thin plastic (I was checking it out yesterday when giving the film patterns to the GMC`s new owner) that seemed like it`d be easy to work with. As per usual, I need to give thought to keeping this Accumulator-proof; sure wouldn`t surprise myself if I botch it up something awful

Come to think of it, somebody might already have patterns for what I`m doing, at least the "normal" areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys!

Accumulator, that was actually the backing of the film--the "negatives" if you will.

We use "premask" which is essentially large masking tape, we typically use a 30" roll, but smaller for smaller areas (obviously).

You should be able to find premask at any wholesale vinyl supplier. While some people "bulk" cut, it`s just not something that I am comfortable with. I just imagine that at some point the olfa blade wouldn`t get a bit too deep, this is what chefwong was experiencing...

I would recommend that you make the pattern from premask by laying it on the area, tracing the pattern to be cut with a pencil, removing the premask, place on the film, cut, and then apply. If it`s wrong, repeat.

Accumulator, if you need a pattern just shoot me a PM, or give me a ring, would be glad to make it for you--or whatever I can do to help. I am sure with your level of attention/intelligence that DIY`ing some ppf would be no big deal--the precut patterns make it *a lot* easier too!

About the Venture--yes it is now owned by 3M and yes they have made changes that IMO are a step back. I have been redoing cars all this week because of adhesive issues. I am a longtime venture user that is switching to durashield and Avery nano--two different price points for customers. FWIW, supposedly 3M is going to fix the issues, but I can`t wait on that, my customers aren`t wholesale.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    ebpcivicsi- Hey, thanks! I didn`t want to just impose upon you as IMO I already more than got my money`s worth with what you did on the Yukon.

BTW, the buyer was very happy that I had the "negatives" for the PPF; the sale went great for both of us and there`s no question the vehicle benefitted from your work...zero indication of its hard life with us and the dogs.

And nah.... there`s no way my DIYing it is gonna turn out like the work you pros do, but I hope it`ll be good enough in that "better than nothing" way. Heh heh, Accumulatorette is always too busy when she`s in TN or I`d just let you abuse my checking account some more.

Your how-to is basically how I`d planned to do it, but if anybody`s already done a TrailBlazer SS and has the patterns, that`d sure make it a lot easier. I won`t be doing anything crazy like we did on the Yukon, that`s for sure!

Thanks for the tip about the PreMask. If I do need to come up with some patterns (e.g., inside rear doorjambs where the older dog might stumble) that sounds like the way to go.

I`ll get back to you guys when I reach the right point. I`m taking the whole "into service prep" project nice and slow, just did the TBSS-for-Yukon change because the TB popped up out of nowhere in too-good-to-miss condition. I`m basically gonna mothball it until I get some other projects out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to have to google durashield.....I was familar with Avery. I do like to keep ontop of what films are out there.

I love the Orangepeel - or no of the Llumar stuff. This was years ago though. My 2nd choice was Ventureshield. Loved the lifetime warranty on it.....only had to use it once on one that did yellow badly... Tipped the installer to comp the redo...

FWIW, my project was for a $$$ snowblower ;-)

Season`s way over.

Post Thanks / Like
    chefwong- A snowblower huh? My bigger one (John Deere 1332) cost a bit, but I sure never thought of PPFing it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Honda`s ain`t cheap....

Bold call on DIY PPF.

If I was to diy, I would probably attempt to master rocker panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    chefwong- A snowblower huh? My bigger one (John Deere 1332) cost a bit, but I sure never thought of PPFing it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information