Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    Bold call on DIY PPF.

If I was to diy, I would probably attempt to master rocker panels.

Well, not all *that* bold in my case...I`m not doing the usual rock/etc.-chip prone areas but rather the ones that`re likely to get marred in the course of its normal use.

Oh, and Re snowblower costs, yeah...IME anybody who really *needs* a high-end unit will consider it money well-spent I did used to wax/etc. mine before I reprioritized.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m usually all about how the stuff looks, which PPF is the *toughest*?

I`m maybe facing a tough situation with the TBSS`s rear bumper cover, might need maximum protection...something that`ll keep the paint safe and can be redone as it gets marred beyond acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bearing you have had PPF, you`re familiar with it - both care and how it ages over time.

You need to keep it waxed, sealed - especially if it`s a daily driver, as it`s hydroscopic to a degree and I don`t care what anyone says, ALL FILM will yellow over time. It`s just the nature if the beast.

They do come in various thickness...but the only thing I really care about these days, is the frontend, the rockers and Maybe the bumper. I`m not having hoods done anymore. I don`t own any exotics in which a respray is fine by me. It all boils down to the clarity of the film for me, but some may prefer it having a Clearcoat on the film, etc. This is a subjective question.

The problem with the thickness is the curves. Thick film works fine on certain headlights, and others can be murder........I know when I had a very $$$$$ custom headlight mod done and how the thicker film behaved vs the thinner film just due to the curvature.

If you`re only thinking about the rear bumper cover, I suppose it could be a DIY project.......I`ve watched the pros do it on full hood wraps, and that`s a bear to watch as you watch 5 guys working on one hood, which is quite a feat. to see.

On the snowblower, I only really wanted to line the inside of the bucket and the chute ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    chefwong- Yeah, I`ve watched the factory PPF on Porsches and Audis gradually yellow over time, even the garge-queens exhibited it to some extent. And that PPF was always LSPed and seldom exposed to UV too.

This particular application will be tricky to do properly, but I can maybe get by with just doing a smaller area and avoiding the curvature issue altogether. Still trying to figure the whole thing out...the TBSS is actually a bit problematic as a dog-hauler :think:

Other that that area, I`ll probably just consider doing the doorframe/pillar areas and maybe behind the door handles. No big PPF projects for me, thank you :grinno: The job ebpcivicsi did on the Yukon (took him a few whole days!) gave me a real appreciation for how involved this stuff can be!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi

About the Venture--yes it is now owned by 3M and yes they have made changes that IMO are a step back. I have been redoing cars all this week because of adhesive issues. I am a longtime venture user that is switching to durashield and Avery nano--two different price points for customers. FWIW, supposedly 3M is going to fix the issues, but I can`t wait on that, my customers aren`t wholesale.

Amen to this. The ppf guy I work with has been pulling his hair out over the adhesive issues with venture. I think he`s using more Avery Nano too, but there seems to be tunneling issues with a lot of it (which may just be the supplier). I find PPF to be a funny industry - in detailing stuff always seems to improve, in PPF it`s almost like it`s currently going backwards. :x
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I should start a thread for film newbie...

PPF is not the universal answer. It is meant for protection while diminishing on the optical clarity....

Anyhow, here is a 7 year old film pulled off my DD. It has seen salt, sand, snow, rain and sunny days. Sealed as religiously as my paint gets. I just had it replaced and I`m getting a new DD and wanted to make it as *optically fresh* as I could for the next owner. The film was beat but it def. saved the paint.

I tried best to capture the color of the film, but hopefully you`re pick up on the yellow-ness...

Post Thanks / Like
    chefwong- That was a nice gesture, hope the new owner appreciates it.

I too kinda :think: :nixweiss about people who are really into PPFing major portions of a vehicle, but to each their own I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information