Thread: Snow tires

Post Thanks / Like
    With winter fast approaching I am in need of snow tires. I got a second set of wheels now I need to wrap them with a kick arse snow tire. I will be putting on 215/45/17. Or maybe a 205, not all to sure yet, I`ve read you want a skinny snow tire in order to punch through the snow and get the pavement, but not all to sure. This will be my first true winter. So what`s a good snow tire, its for a mini cooper s

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Canfield

03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver

97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic

93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, dropping down to a more narrow size can work very well (I usually do that). Plus, IMO this is *not* an application where you want a short/stiff sidewall anyhow.

I`m always happy with Blizzaks, but they really are a *SNOW*/ice tire and they`re not so great on dry pavement. Plus, they`ll wear pretty fast on dry roads too.

My FWD minivan, with Blizzaks, was better in the winter than my AWD/4WD vehicles with regular tires (so much so that I always run snows on those vehicles too).

The latest Consumer`s Reports (with whom I almost always disagree on topics where I know my stuff...) rated a whole bunch of winter tires better than the Blizzaks, so you might oughta talk with one of the friendly, helpful people at the TireRack. They`ve hardly *ever* steered me wrong. The tech behind such stuff changes all the time, and there might be some new tires that`re really great.

Thread Information