Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I have been doing research on summer perforance tires, and was just curious what people here were driving on? I will unfortunatly be on a budget, so I won`t be getting anything too extreme. So again what are you driving on and how do you like it?

thanks,

chris
    `00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (BRP)

`02 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (SSM)

Post Thanks / Like
    I run the same tires all year...Pirelli PZero Nero M+S.

PIRELLI - PZero Nero M+S
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs. Came on the car, so nothing much to compare to but they do have amazing grip and won`t rape my bank account when they wear out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got Kumho SPT`s mounted. They`re supposed to be decent for $100ish a piece. I`ll be doing some serious testing the next few days in my TA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bridgestone Potenza - original tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    M Coupe, a sporty little number.

Falken FK452s, an improvement over the previous FK 451s. Ultra high performance summer tire, great grip, quiet ride, handles rain well.

Prices are extremely reasonable compared to Yokohama Avos, which I had earlier, or Michelin PS2s which I thought about and compared the Falkens to.

I don`t push the M Coupe to it`s limits so they`re working like a champ.

I`ve had them for 5 months (no winter driving).

The Avos were terrible when the tread was really thin but all tires are like that. When the Falkens finally wear out, I`ll buy them again because their performance/price point is surprisingly good.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by creeper
    Just got Kumho SPT`s mounted. They`re supposed to be decent for $100ish a piece. I`ll be doing some serious testing the next few days in my TA.

`Decent` is a good word to describe them. I wouldn`t say they`re a summer performance tire, even if that`s what they`re classified as. I`ve had all season tires that were better in just about every aspect of what you`d want out of a tire (and believe me, the difference in snow traction was enormous!). They`re a cheap tire, you`ll get what you`d expect out of a Kumho from them. Cornering on them is a bit squishy, leaves something to be desired for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Sumitomo HTRZ III`s also. I originally had Bridgestone Turanzas on my 08` IS350. They were crap. The Sumitomo`s were the least expensive Max Performance summer tires I could find and they came in first in a Tire Rack comparison to boot. Since I`ve gotten them. My IS350 has been much more responsive, corners way better and noise and ride comfort has not changed at all. If your not on a budget, I`ve heard/read that Michelin PS2 Sports are the way to go. For those on a budget (like myself!), I highly recommend the Sumitomo`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assumed you where looking for the Sub RS and if so look at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 at about $100 each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel
    Bridgestone Potenza - original tires.

Bought these when I needed new tires. IMO they are good tires. Had really great grip in wet conditions and warm conditions. I haven`t encountered the extreme summer conditions yet, but I have no doubt that they will still perform very well. Very sticky tires with a pretty aggressive tread pattern if you pay any mind to that. Ride comfort was pretty good. They were much better than the original tires that came on the car, and they are roughly I think about $114 a tire

Post Thanks / Like
    Potenza RE050A. I`ve had my fair share of sticky tires and these are by far the best handling tire I`ve ever had. Noise and ride is pretty good considering the level of grip and how composed the car is once you do start to slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by termigator
    If your not on a budget, I`ve heard/read that Michelin PS2 Sports are the way to go.

They are VERY nice tires, indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    on a budget then type in ur tire size on ebay and see what comes up-i just got a pair of coopers for the rear that retail for almost 200 a piece for 100 a piece-prob nothing special but good enough for the GTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorman
    I assumed you where looking for the Sub RS and if so look at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 at about $100 each.

Yeah its for my RS. Its not the elite driving machine, but I enjoy it, actually I really like all wheel drive. I am not the fastest driver, but I like cornering hard, thus I want a good performance tire for summers. I run a set of studless winters in the um... winter.

The only real thing I have to weight into my decision beyond my budget, is wet performance. Portland gets a good amount of rain espeically in spring and fall.

Its been a few years since I last looked at tires, and when I started looking again it was all a bit overwhelmed. It seems like there are more then twice as many choices vs the last time I got tires.

chris
    `00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (BRP)

`02 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (SSM)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorman

This is the way to go if you can find them in your size.

I am currently running Michelin PS2 and I love them but they are way too expensive.

I recently read an article in Car and Driver (I believe) that compared all the performance tires against the PS2s and two tires matched and beat them in some categories. They were the Direzza Sports and the Hankook Ventus V12.

Def check out the Hankooks they compared very close to the PS2 for much less $$$.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information