Post Thanks / Like
    I upgraded my rotors and pads a while back to the TSW Rotors and the Porterfield R4-s pads all around, and well I have chewed through my front pads (not fully but about 1/4 or less left. I enjoyed the pads but looking for something a bit more "aggressive" there was a few times where I had some fade with the r4-s and well I dont need that anymore. I do 95% street driving but I drive aggressively when there is no danger to others. I`ve been considering R4 pads, red stuff, yellow stuff, and hp+. I`ve been wondering what everyones experiences are with their various pads. I would do a full BBK on all fours but going through a divorce so yea just need some fronts to get me by.
    Canfield

03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver

97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic

93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

Post Thanks / Like
    You must be doing some serious driving to be experience fade on the street with the R4-S pads. Lol. I haven`t used them personally, but have read a lot of great things about them. They`re one of the pads I was considering before I bought my current Carbotech Bobcats.

Maybe give the Carbotech Bobcats a try. I run them on my Cobra and they`re a great street pad. However, I can`t help but wonder if you`ll possibly overheat these too if you overheated the Porterfield R4-S`s given they have a similar operating range.

My Bobcats have good bite regardless of temp, and I haven`t had any fade with them. I drive my car aggressively on the street and push it even harder at the track. Never had any fading issues. They also don`t dust bad, and are quiet.

If you don`t try these, I`d look in to the Ferodo DS2500`s. They`re a slightly more aggressive compound than the R4-S and Bobcat so they`ll dust more and and make some noise. But the trade off is they have a better stopping ability, and more importantly a higher maximum operating temp so you shouldn`t fade them on the street like you have the R4-S`s.

The R-4`s would be a solid option, as well as the Carbotech AX6. Both of these are a step up from the R4-S and Bobcats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too was shocked when I had the fade like I said it only happened like twice, I think I`ll run the R4-s again, but am VERY temped to try the R4`s, I`m just not sure how that compound will be with just street driving, I know they have more bite when "warmed" up so yea...
    Canfield

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree and wonder if you were you were boiling the brake fluid rather then experiencing brake fade. Something more aggressive then the R4-S would be a Bobcat pad from Carbotech. I ran and run those same pads on the road track here.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brake fluid is ATE super Blue
    Canfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it pad fade or fluid induced? Assuming it was pad fade then you really need to go easier on the brakes or add some cooling. Seems to me the r4-s is good to north of 1000F so even a race compound is going to have trouble. You could try the R4-e. May not be as rotor friendly and certainly will create more dust. I have run race compounds on the street as well and aside from the dust and more rapid rotor wear they where fine.

Thread Information