Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    But if a wheel is PC`d from the factory, hasn`t the possible risk already been determined then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and no....

"These wheels are powder-coated immediately after they are forged to protect the `raw` exposed metal from any surface corrosion. This is also done to insure that the intense heat that is applied during powder-coating process does not affect the temper or strength of the wheel. (heat-treating a wheel outside of this small manufacturing window causes embrittlement and weakening of the aluminum alloy) Some companies farm this powder-coating phase out (to god knows where) weeks after the raw wheels have been made. (because it`s a cheaper $$$ route) The quality control is usually very suspect from wheel-to-wheel by going this route."

Post Thanks / Like
    The 20 inch wheels on my Mustang are powder coated...they dont seem to chip as easy as conventional paint. There is aguy in Ct who just does powder coating. It is very strong once done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some 20 year old BBS wheels straightened and refinished. They were powder coated and look great. Cannot comment much on strength other than they have held up fine to bumps and potholes.

On a detailing note though, these wheels stay way cleaner that the old painted finish. It could just be the fresh finish, but nothing really sticks to theses wheels. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels are one of those unkanny things I must know about and sure wish I had the time to source a metallurgist to field a scientific response.

This embrittlement that they speak of, as powder requires heat to melt....and the fact that on the molecular level, alum. gets brittle with age if not *reheat* are the primary causes for me to just consider paint.

It`s my understanding that there are true *pros* out that use the the newer *tech* powdercoat that take more of a cold bake but I have let my fingers call all the top notch powdercoaters and in my ~interview~ , I`ve yet to find one that is telling me they have powder that will do a cold bake.

And yes, I have plenty of friends who have PC wheels at various pricepoint levels and they look the same as they did when they picked it up. On the scientific level, I can`t allow myself to do it.

It`s amazing the varying price range. The best guy in my area runs about $240 a wheel. Then there`s a couple at $150-130 and, and others which range from $90 - $70. While price doesn`t = quality.....I was amazed at the price spread out there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information