Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Need some new tires for a car im giving to my sister who is a new driver, wet traction and emergency maneuverability are a big priority. I have a set of dedicated snow tires, so winter traction isn`t that big of a deal.

I have driven a car with the Goodyears and they seem great. Has anyone used both of these tires that can offer a direct comparison?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tripletreads on a honda oddy and LOVE them in the snow, had the Hydro in snow.....accident waiting to happen.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    check tirerack.com. There are numerous reviews for about every tire made. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 08StangGT
    check tirerack.com. There are numerous reviews for about every tire made. LOL

most of the reviews are misleading though, who is gonna spend $500 on something and tell you it sucks? not to many people.

case in point, BFG Traction T/A`s:

good reviews, but these are some of the worst tires on the market!

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a set of the Hydroedge on my wife`s Cadillac a few years ago and love them. The handling and traction are exceptional. Not long after I got them we had to drive to NJ and 90% of that drive was during a tropical system rain. There seemed to be no lose of traction even at 65 to 75 mph on the interstate with water everywhere. THe only 2 drawbacks, IMO, are that they are uni directioanl and can only be switched front to back on the same side. The other thing I noticed after they had about 25,000 or 30.000 miles on them is that the road noise from them seems to increase with wear. The noise is more noticable on concrete freeways than it is on asphalt and with the car shut up and the stereo going it`s not that bad, but it is there. They currently have about 45,000 on them but still drive and handle well.

Hope this helps
    2003 F150 Red Supercrew

1999 Sedan Deville Concours

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carn00bie
    most of the reviews are misleading though, who is gonna spend $500 on something and tell you it sucks? not to many people.

case in point, BFG Traction T/A`s:

good reviews, but these are some of the worst tires on the market!

Another opinion, FWIW.

The BFG Traction T/AT was rated based on 5,630,872 driver miles. It got a respectable rating, 5th within it`s class. Here is how it stacked up to other tires in it`s class: Consumer Survey Results By Category

Bear in mind that the Standard Touring (ST) class is not what one would call a great performance tire.

If you compare some of the lowest rated tires on this list you will find that they are higher priced than the BFGs so wouldn`t you expect their owners to rate them high based on your assumption that the ratings reflect the price users paid?

In my experience, the TireRack ratings are pretty good. It`s not like you are only getting one persons opinion there.

Again, this is only an ST class of tire and not a thoroughbred by any measure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve owned both sets of tires. Goodyear TripleTread on the wife`s Honda Accord and Michelin HydroEdge on my Infiniti G35. Both are good tires, handle great in the rain, but the biggest difference was how they wear. The Michelin`s seem as good today (after 35k miles on them) as the day I bought them. Both of them are a bit noisy on a concrete highway (not asphalt- they were both fine) but the Goodyear`s wear much faster in my experience. Which means they get noisy sooner, lose some of the traction sooner, and have to be replaced sooner. I got tired of replacing super sporty low profile tires every 25-30k miles and went with the Michelin`s for my car. I am completely happy with that decision and my wallet is much happier too. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found the Goodyear Eagle GT`s, they look very promising and they`re only $60 a pop for my size!
    Formerly carn00bie

Post Thanks / Like
    Look into Vredestein ultrac sessanta`s

they`re what im currently running and the performance of them, compared to michelins, BFG`s, nittos, and ESPECIALLY goodyears, is second to none!

Hydroplaning=nonexistent.

wet and dry traction is great, and they are SCARY quiet. =]

Post Thanks / Like
    and if anyone is interested in them, let me know...i can get them at an awesome price!

Since you have a setup for the winter, these tires are wonderful for all other conditions.

Im running them in 275/40/20 fronts and 315/35/20 rears on my Jeep SRT, and coming off of OEM goodyears on it...ill never go back. plus you cant beat the look of em!

Post Thanks / Like
    Michelin Maxi Ice won a test here just recently, best of the non studded tires.. Nokians are also pretty good.. I would never rely on the so called all season tires many use in the states, bad in summer conditions and even worse on snow and ice. I have tried a few times and I am so glad to have real winter tires on my car..

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a set of Hydroedge tires for my mother-in-law (Toyota Rav4) when she moved down to Florida, for those sudden washout storms they often get. I later got to drive on those tires in one of those storms when I was visiting and let me tell you they were great! And I was pushing it to test them out, they went through deep puddles at 60mph without so much as a flinch. Cornering in the rain at anything like a sane speed was like driving on a dry road. They were unflappable at anything I threw at them (again nothing too crazy), and I was glad I chose them for her. I used the tire surveys at TireRack.com.

I have Bridgestone RE960`s on my car which are also great in the rain, but I`d gladly take a set of those Michelins

Michelin HydroEdge

Oh yeah, the treadlife is something like 80,000 miles! "Mom" doesn`t drive much and joked that the tires will probably outlast the car. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Had TripleTreads when I had my Impala, they were awesome! If I had a sedan again, it would have a set of them on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DFWSRT8
    and if anyone is interested in them, let me know...i can get them at an awesome price!

Since you have a setup for the winter, these tires are wonderful for all other conditions.

Im running them in 275/40/20 fronts and 315/35/20 rears on my Jeep SRT, and coming off of OEM goodyears on it...ill never go back. plus you cant beat the look of em!

Through Moes?

TripleTreads did not impress me, and I would think by expanding your options you could get a better tire than what you are limiting yourself too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke
    Through Moes?

TripleTreads did not impress me, and I would think by expanding your options you could get a better tire than what you are limiting yourself too.

Why did they not impress you? I have some expensive Michelins but wondering if other tires at a better value.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information