Post Thanks / Like
    I was using Nightshade`s spray to black out my 3rd brake light on my Mazda and i kept getting these cracks or veins in the final coat. I have done this before and never had this problem, 3 simple light coats was my technique. When i was finished you can really see the cracks so i wet sanded back down and tried again. Still, i can see cracks in the paint. ***.

The light itself was sanded and didn`t have any roughness in it at all before painting. I am just trying to figure out what is causing this so when i try to resand back down and repaint i will be able to avoid the problem.

As i said it is Nightshade`s paint for lights. The paint itself may be a year old and had about 1/4 paint left in the can. Shook it well as instructed, applied light coats.

I don`t know, i am thinking it`s just old paint that is causing this. I am no paint expert so i am not positive.

Edit: lol didn`t realize this was my first post here. Thought i posted her before. Anyways this site is very helpful and has served me in the past with detailing my car properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Niteshade on a few sets of lights and I have never experienced this problem. My guess is it is a combination of the can being a year old and there only being a 1/4 left in it. Did you let it sit in the garage through the winter too? My advice would be to get yourself a new can of spray and try again....toss the other one in the trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dizzle
    I have used Niteshade on a few sets of lights and I have never experienced this problem. My guess is it is a combination of the can being a year old and there only being a 1/4 left in it. Did you let it sit in the garage through the winter too? My advice would be to get yourself a new can of spray and try again....toss the other one in the trash.

The last time i did it i think it was in summer. I will get another can and resand it back down and then try again outside or something instead of the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is old. It has happened to me with Nightshade. Use it, then toss the can, after about 6 months it will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alowe
    It is old. It has happened to me with Nightshade. Use it, then toss the can, after about 6 months it will happen.

Yea it was a old can, probably close to a year old.

I got a new can today and sanded it back down and started over. This time around it went on perfectly without any problems at all.

Weird that would be the cause of it, a lesson learned though.

Thanks for everybody help though, it helped alot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to clear it. Being a 3rd brake light, you will want the reflection, as well as the hotness of the clear!!! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alowe
    Make sure to clear it. Being a 3rd brake light, you will want the reflection, as well as the hotness of the clear!!! :p

I did put a clear on it but it just doesn`t seem to match up perfectly to the other lights.

I have been getting clear coat spray from Auto Zone or something and when i clear coat other stuff it just seems like it just isn`t that nice of a finish. Are their better brands of clear coats that have better finishes than other brands?

Is their a proper technique when applying clear coat or than spraying light coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    I always apply clear a little heavier than I do paint. Throwing in a few steps of light wetsanding in between coats usually helps too. Can you post up a pic of what you have done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dizzle
    I always apply clear a little heavier than I do paint. Throwing in a few steps of light wetsanding in between coats usually helps too. Can you post up a pic of what you have done?

This is what i got so far. I never knew i could wet sand the clear coat i was thinking about it last night but was to scared to try it in fear of messing the clear coat.

From the pics though they look nice no doubt, but i want to achieve that ultimate shine is all i am wondering.

Is that something i need to do post paint?

Or is it the quality of clear coat paint i am using?

Any tips you would do if you were painting this are welcomed of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    No i didn`t do anything to my tail ligths. They already have a black backing inside of them so it compliments the blacked out 3rd light.

Sucks that this isn`t "perfect" but i was wondering what would cause this to happen? I am not a paint pro so i wanted to know if it was something that i didn`t know. If i can i will just get some more nightshade and resand and try again in the future.

Thread Information