Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys, I just took delivery of my 2010 camaro ss/rs and was wanting to

get the windows tinted. I have heard that the metalic film causes distortion in

radio and cell ph. signals have any of you heard of this. The ceramic is much

higher but it dont effect any electronics. Any comments would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can pull it off metalic tint can look really good...do a google image search for kpeng...you should know what I`m talking about

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can pull it off metalic tint can look really good...do a google image search for kpeng...you should know what I`m talking about

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had 13 cars with metallized tint. No interference in any of them.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have HuperOptik 40 on my 08 Mercedes E550.

Not sure about your Camero but on MBs, you can`t use metallic because it interferes with radio, radar detectors, GPS, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had interference issues in cars with metallic tint, definite first-hand experience that it *can* happen. That was factory tint though (some Audi A8s have it, fortunately not mine).

I`d sure do some tests with the electronics in question before having your own car done.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....this is why I went with ceramic tint in our Forester. The antenna is intergrated into the driver`s side, rear-quarter window. On paper, ceramic performed better and would not interfere with the radio reception (or other electronics in the car). I figured it was worth the extra cost so I went for it. .....I also did a bit of research on the subject beforehand to make sure it wasn`t just an up-sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3M metallics and they block the proximity sensor on my alarm.... No problem with cell phone though...

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had metallic tint installed on my Fit and Saab. No problems with radio, cell, or GPS. Note both cars have external antennas.

The only other disadvantage with metallic is that the windows look shiny from the outside. If you just want a factory dark appearance, ceramic is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have metallic on my Civic. The Civic has the radio antenna integrated into the rear window. AM and FM signal are not affected... UNLESS my rear defogger is on. When the defogger is on, my AM radio is staticy and has a high pitched whine. My cell phone signal isnt affected.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never had any problems with my 3m tint. Radar, cell and laptop have no problem getting signal in the car. I know some people have had problems before with 3m tint but not sure why. Maybe some batches have more metalic in it than others but not 100% sure.
    99 Grand Am GT - show/race car

01 Grand Prix GTP - stock

04 SRX - AWD N* baby hauler

Post Thanks / Like
    My tint installer told me that he used metallic film on a 2009 M3, on all its five glasses, excluding the windshield. The keyless remote becomes unuseable due to the metallic blocking the signal.

I was told by three tint installers that 3M tints "do not meet local regulations"... so yeah... I don`t know. There are other better quality ceramic tints out there for lower prices, so 3M is not the only choice for motorists who are interested in getting tints installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 3m tint also and so far I have not encountered any problems in signal or on the antenna. But I guess it depends on the components of the tint..

Post Thanks / Like
    I have ceramic on my 2010 Mustang. I can`t tell a difference other than it`s slightly brown instead of blue.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Thread Information