Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic pads

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s time to get some new pads on my truck and I`m thinking about getting ceramics for the fronts. The reason I want ceramic pads is because I would like to have something that it low dusting. It`s a pain to always have to clean my wheels. I was just wondering which brands other members have tried and what their experiences were with them?

I`ve got a 2002 GMC Sierra 4.8L Ext. Cab 2WD. Thanks for helping me out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Akebono Pro-Act.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have run Carbotechs which are ceramic and they were sketchy at time in the rain. The pads lasted forever and were very low on dust but they run better at high temps.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be more satisfied if you buy ceramic pads-- less dust, better feel* on the braking, plus they last longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are sacrificing some performance with Ceramic pads, IMO.

I usually put on a good organic compound. I don`t mind the dusting for good braking.

Usually I experience less initial bite and more easily warped rotors with ceramic pads.
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    CarboTech, practically no dust. After 2 weeks of driving I find very little dusting. Now I live in SoCal, so I don`t know how they would react in the rainier climates.

I have talked to the president of CarboTech and he is a super guy, very customer orientated.

Post Thanks / Like
    i switched the pads on my C6 when new to Delco ceramics. they are great and i have no dust with GM parts.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    i switched the pads on my C6 when new to Delco ceramics. they are great and i have no dust with GM parts.:xyxthumbs

I wish I had the gumption to do that. I have the hipo brakes on my GM and the car has the best braking of any I`ve ever had, but the black dust is terrible. I just can`t get myself revved up to do the brakes when they don`t need to be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I wish I had the gumption to do that. I have the hipo brakes on my GM and the car has the best braking of any I`ve ever had, but the black dust is terrible. I just can`t get myself revved up to do the brakes when they don`t need to be done.

i know the feeling. i was feeling a little apprehensive taking apart a 70K car that i just watched be put together at the factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam

That`s good to hear. As I was watching tv last night I saw a Goodwrench commercial for GM ceramics installed for $79. So for $79 I get ceramic brakes and labor. Not a bad deal and it will keep me from having to do my Flinstone braking techniques. I`ll try them out and see how it goes. In the meantime I can start saving my money for some other ceramics and maybe a rotor combo kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which of the ceramic pads are the most forgiving or most street-friendly, so to speak? I won`t tolerate brakes that perform poorly when cold. (I had a bad experience when someone sold me pads that were a terrible recommendation.)

Thx.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree w/Setec. I`ve tried them all but for great stopping and low dusting Akebono-Pro Act is it. I was looking initially for a low duster also, got the pads at a good price at Rock Auto online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure you match up the pad to the rotor. Too many people see "Ceramic" and their eyes bug out, heart races for beter stopping, less dusting etc.

If the pads are not matched correctly, you WILL have issues in both stopping when cold/wet, warping rotors and possiblity of cooking a bearing.

I should know, the Porsche has ceramic brakes, but not just pads, but rotors, which match well as the rotor can get cherry red and still perform the same no matter how hot it gets.

However, flood it with water, and it`s a different story. You have to learn to shed-off water on some brakes and on other brake systems it can get worse due to type of rotor and location.

My advise is to correctly match a rotor to the pads. Failure to do that will result in poor performance or worse it can effect your life OR OTHERS. Just because it`s says "Ceramic" doesn`t mean it`s best for your vehicle, it`s also a marketing ploy as well.

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    another option would be hawk performance ceramic pads... i have them on the viper and challenger and they are top-notch for street stopping use
    08 viper - 675hp - "king of the ring"

07 F430

09 challenger srt8 supercharged

2010 camaro SS :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after doing some shopping around online I`ve decided that I`m going to go with stock parts. One of the biggest things that influenced my decision is the fact that Goodwrench currently has a $25 mail-in rebate going on for ceramic brakes right now. For $75 I get not only parts but labor as well. That`s too good of a deal to pass up right now. In the meantime, I`ll just start saving and hopefully in the future I can get a brake/rotor combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information