Post Thanks / Like
    Ok first off, I need some opinions and insight here. However bare with me because this might be a little lengthy.

First I`ll start with a summary of my situation.

I live in Vancouver, Canada. About 2 weeks ago my car was keyed all along the driver`s side. My 9 month old Super black 2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R was vandalized by some douchebag.

So fast forward a couple days I file a claim with ICBC (Insurance corporation of British Columbia) and I qualify for express service. GREAT!

So I had over to the nearest certified ICBC express valet shop and they take care of my claim for me, however they dont have a courtesy car there for me that day so they tell me to come back monday, which I do.

So Monday rolls around, I drop off my car and I`m on my merry way thinking I`m in great hands.

Thursday rolls around and I get my car back and she looks great, the paint matches and she`s all clean, it was great having her back.

After about a week (about 2 days ago) I notice that there seems to be some faint "ghosting" on the rear quarter panel, driver`s door and rear door

Basically I could see where the key marks were initially. I also noticed a few "goosebump" looking things on my door and a few other random locations on that side of the car.

So I take it back today and get them to look at it. So they tell me the "ghosting" is called paint sink, which happens sometimes and all they need to do is wet sand and polish. Ok, sounds fine to me, I dont really see how that will fix it but I go back about an hour later and the marks seem to be gone, however I dont think they did a very good job. There are swirl marks ALL over the driver`s side and it looks absolutely horrible.

I also bring up the little goosebump looking things and they say that its just the clearcoat curing and it should go away after a few washes. So I googled it and it SEEMS to be that it could be solvent pop?

I`ve attached a few pictures (at the bottom) so I can get some opinions here.

If it is solvent pop, what should I do? Should I tell them to redo everything? Overall I`m happy with the paint match, and thats about it.

Now onto the pictures:

(These were taken with my camera phone, so its the best I can do atm)

Post Thanks / Like
    there is not fixing a paint job that has solvent popped short of a repaint. To me that kinda looks like a chunk of dirt. can you feel that bump?

Post Thanks / Like
    bige441, yes I can feel each and every bump I`ve posted.

I added 2 more pictures, #4 and #5 which probably illustrate what Im trying to get across the best

Post Thanks / Like
    So can anyone confirm that it is in fact solvent pop?

Post Thanks / Like
    I see chunks of dirt.

I cannot see solvent pops.

Post Thanks / Like
    1) IMO that is not solvent pop

2) if they actually wetsanded & polished they would not be there

Post Thanks / Like
    That my friend is a dirt nib. It also looks to be a fairly big one. You still may be able to see traces of it after wet sanding and polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Good_Kat
    That my friend is a dirt nib. It also looks to be a fairly big one. You still may be able to see traces of it after wet sanding and polish

Man, but everytime they wet sand and polish it leaves more and more swirls

I do have the option of telling them to repaint, should I just do that?

Because to me the paint has a few imperfections. Or am I just nitpicking?

Thread Information