Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had clearbras on various of my vehicles. I love the protection, hate the looks. And these are topdollar installs, my guys removes headlights, grills, etc - tucks them in, etc. Paint get`s polished to a glisten before they even start the clearbra.

Taking delivery of new ride and I`m debating it....

I don`t like they wear over time, hate the contrast but out her in the craptastic NYC roads we have (the clear bra does protect). Even the track cars show the pitting on the bras.

I`m not going into the debate of repaint vs. OEM, cause as far as I`m concerned, the only time I would be concerned about a repaint is if I owned a exotic.

So tell me for those that have extensive experience with Clearbras, do you like them or not and why...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are getting 3M installed every time. Thats a poor film with a lot of orange peel and I do not recommend it. Try VentureShield Ultra or ClearMask AR. Once installed it will look as smooth as the paints finish and will not "pit". Pitting is from the acrylic top coat on 3M getting chipped off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on various parts of the DenaliXL, a nice (custom-fitted) job by ebpcivicsi.

It`s functional, and I`m glad I have it on my (metallic black) dog-hauler, which gets used pretty hard.

But I don`t much like how it looks and I`m glad I didn`t have it put on the hood. I seem to notice it *right away* on vehicles that have it on their hoods. I know that`s a gross generalization but still, it does seem to just jump out at me, especially on vehicles that`re older.

As I`m always posting, I go with the quote from the old museum curator: "real cars have stone chips". Chips just don`t bother me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m removing mine soon. I have 18" on the hood and fenders and I have several chips beyond the film all the way to the end of the hood. My paint sucks and I may as well keep it uniform looking by taking it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I have it on various parts of the DenaliXL, a nice (custom-fitted) job by ebpcivicsi.

It`s functional, and I`m glad I have it on my (metallic black) dog-hauler, which gets used pretty hard.

But I don`t much like how it looks and I`m glad I didn`t have it put on the hood. I seem to notice it *right away* on vehicles that have it on their hoods. I know that`s a gross generalization but still, it does seem to just jump out at me, especially on vehicles that`re older.

As I`m always posting, I go with the quote from the old museum curator: "real cars have stone chips". Chips just don`t bother me.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats after having nightmares about fabricating those lower pieces!

I have it on my car and feel that as long as it is *quality* film, installed by a *quality* installer, then I can live with the "film look" on the car. Rock chips that are small and scarce don`t bother me, but road rash on the front bumper does, so I live with the line.

It`s all about making the choice as to whether you can live with the lines, or the chips--very personal.

FWIW, I tested the 3M film and found that it yellowed and had horrible texture. I much prefer the ventureshield, or LLUMAR--though LLUMAR has had issues lately (my last three rolls).....
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    ebpcivicsi- Looking at the patterns you made, I bet you *do* have nightmares about that job Sure glad you saw the job through though

Heh heh, you hate rash on your front bumper...Accumulatorette picked up some chips *right through the PPF* by the time she got back from TN!

Post Thanks / Like
    How is the Llumar these days. I recall playing with their film when it 1st came out and it so was optically clear---no OP whatsover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    How is the Llumar these days. I recall playing with their film when it 1st came out and it so was optically clear---no OP whatsover.

ASSUMING that`s what ebpcivicsi used on my Denali, it`s not bad. I wouldn`t say *zero* OP, but then the truck has a lot of it anyhow so maybe it just blends together OK. From some angles you can tell it`s there, from others you can`t, especially when it`s not spotlessly clean.

Would I put it on one of the Audis? No way. But again, that`s just me and I`m prejudiced against the stuff. I bet a lot of people would never see it`s on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya. Believe me, on certain areas, I would consider it again, but anything uptop, probably never....

I have all 4 doors - rockerpanel on my DD Jet Black suv wrapped, and it totally has at least stopped the pitting from the shi$$t roads we have here. So I realize the benefits to a degree , and would put it on in areas where I knew it would be less inconspicuous...to the eye at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    chefwong- Yeah, roger that on the areas that take a beating, especially for an SUV.

The first time one of the dogs does *not* scratch some area down to primer because of the PPF I`ll probably appreciate it a whole lot more Of course the last RIDS one of `em instilled missed the PPF But at least it wasn`t a *really* deep one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, accumulator that is pretty nasty stuff she ran into!

It is indeed the LLUMAR on your DENALI.

Chefwong, the stuff that you are talking about was actually (someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but this is my experience which is backed up by my rep) much more clear than what is out now, or what is on accumulators truck.

FWIW, LLUMAR had problems with the film being *too* clear--made installs difficult, roller tracks(frost) in the film, etc. They added a little op into the film--this was the version that I used on accumulator`s truck. A few months after that, more texture was added and the "frost" continued. My rep finally told me that for *my* customers I should use ventureshield film.

I tested it out(takes a while for us because before I will switch I long-term test it for durability) and it is very nice film. It`s certainly not as clear as the first two versions of the LLUMAR, but it installs beautifully, is very durable, and looks great when installed properly. It does have a bit of "grain" as opposed to op--if that makes sense.

FWIW, my LLUMAR rep told me that the "tolerance" for their film was 7ft. In other words, as long as it looks good from 7ft, all is well. I told him that for my customers (as well as myself), it was more like 7 inches!
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve got ventureshield on my car. had it applied right after i bought my car. it`s saved my frontend many times from trucks and cars without mudflaps! if the install is good, it will be hardly noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    ..It is indeed the LLUMAR on your DENALI...

Thanks for the confirmation. And on that job you wouldn`t have wanted anything harder to work with No matter *how* much nicer it might`ve looked. Actually, the degree of OP works pretty well with that vehicle`s paint quality.

FWIW, my LLUMAR rep told me that the "tolerance" for their film was 7ft. In other words, as long as it looks good from 7ft, all is well. I told him that for my customers (as well as myself), it was more like 7 inches!

Seven whole inches... :nervous: :grinno: Well, OK, it *is* the bought-used, dog-hauling truck, but still...:chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    My take on the clearbra is this... I personally don`t care for them.

I just don`t like the looks, but that`s just me.

I think if you like them use them, but if it bothers you then don`t

Figure a re-spray of your front bumper will probably cost around 300 bucks or so depending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imatk
    My take on the clearbra is this... I personally don`t care for them.

I just don`t like the looks, but that`s just me.

I think if you like them use them, but if it bothers you then don`t

Figure a re-spray of your front bumper will probably cost around 300 bucks or so depending.

I totally agree. :xyxthumbs
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information