Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a great running 1969 Pontiac LeMans Custom S for about a year now and am finaly ready to start throwing some work into her performance. I will be pulling the drive train to throw in a new trans (already have it) this winter when the car is off the road, and wanted to upgrade her performance while I have the car in pieces. Its a weekend driver so nothing real high end but what are the best suggestions for parts to upgrade for better performance to handle the 0-100mph speed range?

Thanks for the help!

-Steel

Post Thanks / Like
    2 names, Year one, and SLP.

Post Thanks / Like
    is it stock?

what tranny?

big block?

what are your performance goals?

budget?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your in good hands with BIG jim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MASKDMARVL
    2 names, Year one, and SLP.

I not sure if either of then are any help with this

slp does new cars

and year one does resto parts for popular cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is stock, I believe Pontiac didn`t have specific big/small blocks like Chevy even though its all GM, but it is a 350, I picked up relativity new 3 speed trans so cheap it too good to refuse, but am keeping my eyes open for a 3 speed w/ overdrive (2 speed in her now). I also already have a dual exhaust (2" pipe) w/ flowmasters to put in. I also will not change the look of the car (other than wheels) for performance I would rather leave it stock if I have to, my thing is stock look but modified inside. My performance goals are for it to be real quick off the line up to highway speeds but I have no need to be flying around at 150mph.My budget, this is my only real expense I can put in 1000-1500 but that is pushing it.

What do you think?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing, the 69 Lemans is, for the most part, the same as a 69 GTO.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes Pontiac used one basic size block for everything, with the exception of the later 265 and 301 low deck motors (as long as it is not one of them you will be ok)

so the tranny is an auto?

if so you need to do some thinking about what you want to do

I would start with a higher stall converter(but you will need to match it your cam and powerbandto get the most from it)

for that $ I would try for

stall converter

shift kit

cam

as much head work you can afford

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that makes a good difference, and is the basis of any engine upgrade, is to make sure it is in a good state of tune to begin with. Change the plugs, wire, upgrade to a HEI distributer(less than $100), make sure the carb is in good condition and opperating as it should. Possibly invest in a leakdown test for all cylinders. then you can start improvements.

If you are handy changing your cam and lifters is a good saterday job, with spectacular results(by far the most bang for the buck), high ratio rockers are almost free HP, but be sure to match the cam to your expected goal, carb and drivability range.

IF you have a 2 barrel carb, chnaging the intake manifold and carb for a 4 barrel unit will do a world of good as well.

If you find that the base needs some work(low compression, loose bearings ect, you can look to your local race track for a good engine at a affordable price. If you have a local track that runs GM spec engines, many teams elec to change them every year, a new engine is around $3500, amny 1 season engins sell for around $1500, and once off the track will last for years if it was well maintained(look for a front running team, they usually keep things straight).
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be quick invest in the drive train. 200Hp is quick with 456 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    The trans is an auto but I dont want to go playing with the guts of one of those. How much would it cause to have a trans built for what you were saying BigJim? If its a lot, and i could get by reasonably with a 3 speed or 3 speed w/ overdrive i would like to spend on a carb/intake/rockers/etc.

Speaking of engine parts like you were talking about Reparebrise, i replaced the rotor, cap, wires, plugs when i first got it because she didn`t fire well would replacing the entire distributor make a noticeable difference over just those parts? I have been looking at a holley 750 cfm 4bbl carb but that requires a manifold to fit it the 4 (my manifold fits the 2bbl rochester on there now) how to i go about finding a manifold that will fit?

Thanks guys this is great!

Post Thanks / Like
    well the stall goes between the trans and engine so it not the "guts" of the trans

and a shift kit is a D.I.Y. if you can read and are not affrad to drop the pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay what would you recommend for a stall, cam and shift kit? And as far as head work goes are u suggesting getting new lower heads or what can I do with the stock ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    new heads are not in you budget

stall IMO prob about a 10" 3500

but it is really going to depend on how crazy you go with the cam, how much power the engine makes and where in the powerband it makes it`s power

the shift kit is going to depend on how hard you want it to shift

Post Thanks / Like
    On a mild 350 750cfm is way too big, if you want good street power a nice Hp series 650 cfm will do the trick, and yes a HEI distibutor will help, no points= no hassels.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information