Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got some real debris issues going on with my rockers. They take a real beating from salt, sand, etc. I thought about getting splash guards, but I am not real fond of spending 75 dollars for plastic, plus the look is just OK.

So...I was thinking of using clear film on the lower part of my doors, as well as the rockers. Not the full length of the car, just on the front doors.

Thoughts, tips, etc?

I was thinking of getting Griots film. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    OneQuickGT1- While I`m generally not a fan of clear bras, in this case I think it`s a *great* idea :xyxthumbs

My MPV came with that kind of rocker treatment from the factory, and it`s worked out great.

I had ebpcivicsi put it on the runningboards of the DenaliXL, which is basically the same idea, and I`m very happy with it.

Just make sure you get stuff that`ll conform to the rockers, especially if yours have "gravel guard"/body-schutz type textured paint on the rockers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    OneQuickGT1- While I`m generally not a fan of clear bras, in this case I think it`s a *great* idea :xyxthumbs

My MPV came with that kind of rocker treatment from the factory, and it`s worked out great.

I had ebpcivicsi put it on the runningboards of the DenaliXL, which is basically the same idea, and I`m very happy with it.

Just make sure you get stuff that`ll conform to the rockers, especially if yours have "gravel guard"/body-schutz type textured paint on the rockers.

Just curious as to what your opinion is of clear bras....since you are not normally a fan of them...

Post Thanks / Like
    those bras will create a line on your paint of where it was , if you take it off dont expect too see beauty but a long line of scratches, my advise deal with paiint chips,

Post Thanks / Like
    i have 3M on all my vehicles. the rockers/door bottoms on my C6 are also done. i don`t know what the previous poster is talking about. i`ve never had this problem or condition. there is no reasone to "put up" or "deal with" with chips today. you decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I may try doing this myself, but we shall see.

Again, thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suki22
    Just curious as to what your opinion is of clear bras....since you are not normally a fan of them...

Most of the clear bras/PPF applications I`ve seen were discernable, they weren`t truly *invisible*. They simply look like plastic on the paint to me, and I don`t care for that look. My Audis/Porsches have had it in places since forever, and I always think those areas look, well, like there`s a sheet of plastic stuck to them. After long enough, they *always* start to yellow/etc. too; I can`t think of ever seeing original PPF that`s still new-looking after a dozen or more years (admittedly, if the PPF weren`t there the paint`d be trashed too and probably look much worse).

I have quite a bit of PPF on the DenaliXL..it`s a dog-hauler that`ll be subjected to a lot of not-so-Autopian treatment (think "dog people" who don`t know from car care; my wife takes the male to shows in it). Even though ebpcivicsi did a good job, with high-quality material, I simply don`t like how the PPFed areas look compared to the bare paint.

As I always say in threads like this: "As the old museum curator said, referring to some priceless cars: "real cars have stonechips". I read that in C&D back in (IIRC) the early `70s and I`ve always agreed. For people who feel differently, today`s PPF is really good stuff and oughta provide a lot of protection (I already have some chips *through* the stuff on the DenaliXL already Seems I just can`t win when it comes to keeping the dog-haulers pristine ).

Post Thanks / Like
    As I always say in threads like this: "As the old museum curator said, referring to some priceless cars: "real cars have stonechips". I read that in C&D back in (IIRC) the early `70s and I`ve always agreed.

Ha, I used to build model airplanes back in the `70`s and it became popular for scale models to adopt a "weathered" appearance, because all the real examples had paint chips, exhaust stains, etc., and people didn`t think it was realistic to have a model that looked like it did on the day it rolled out of the factory, and not the day after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Ha, I used to build model airplanes back in the `70`s and it became popular for scale models to adopt a "weathered" appearance...

Yeah, I was pretty heavily into the scale military modeling thing too. Aircraft didn`t get as weathered as armor, but you still needed the chips/oil streaks/exhaust stains/etc.

Were you a member of the International Plastic Modelers Society? An older pal of mine built the best Sabers and Phantoms in the country for years on end.

Sorry for the threadjack

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the threadjack

Yeah, I`ll PM you about it if I ever get my box cleaned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go for the clear bra like I mentioned in your other post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere
    those bras will create a line on your paint of where it was , if you take it off dont expect too see beauty but a long line of scratches, my advise deal with paiint chips,

I believe you are thinking of the vinyl type bras that strap on the front of the vehicle. The 3M clear bras that I am familiar with have a clear coat finish. The clear bra will not leave a line or scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    they still will leaVE SOME SORT OF OUTLINE WHEN U TAKE THEM OFF, NOBODY LISTENS

Thread Information