Thread: fitments

Post Thanks / Like
    do i necessarily need to get new tires if i get new 20 inch rims or will they fit my stock tires and how will i kno

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chainz
    do i necessarily need to get new tires if i get new 20 inch rims or will they fit my stock tires and how will i kno

The tires and rims must both be 20" of course (diameter of wheel must equal diameter of tire`s opening), but other than that it`s a matter of whether the widths of the rims are compatible. As long as you don`t get rims that are a lot wider/more narrow than what you have now the tires should fit fine.

There are general guidelines (which I can`t quite remember) about how wide a tire you should put on how wide a rim. The salesman oughta know this stuff, but watch that he doesn`t try to sell you a bad combo just to make a sale. The people at the TireRack are great when it comes to this stuff, even if they *do* tend to err on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like
    iight thanks man

Post Thanks / Like
    so when im searching on online sites and it says search by vehicle, does that mean those rims will fit my tire

Post Thanks / Like
    so when im searching on online sites and it says search by vehicle, does that mean those rims will fit my tire

That is for replacement tires/wheels for the originals. As Accumulator said, if you are going to change to 20" wheels (I presume you don`t have them now), you will need 20" tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Search for "wheel and tire" packages instead of just "wheels", and then see if the recommended tire is the same as what you have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Accumulator. You could take a second opinion from a mechanic or consult an online expert who can give you the proper guidelines regarding the tires and rims. Certain online stores like Auto Wheels / Rims / Covers - OEM Alloy/Steel Wheels & Rims, Custom Wheel Covers for Cars & Trucks can also give you a proper guideline and provide used auto parts as per your vehicle make and model with a 1 year warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d find a forum that caters to your specific car. There will likely be people that have tried various wheel sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I`d find a forum that caters to your specific car. There will likely be people that have tried various wheel sizes.

My worry there is the way people like/tend to do stuff like putting too-wide tires on rims and they say "hey, it`s just fine!" even though it`s a catastrophe waiting to happen. The old "internet expert" thing

Thread Information