Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spike_africa
    Like he said dont waste your money on the hype a plug isnt going to make you faster. I run cheap NGK`s in my sprayed mustang.

Unfortunately, my intake manifold has to come off to remove the rear three plugs (Maxima with a VQ35) so Iridium it is when I have to change them.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    How long ago was this? I find the chain-store Bosch to be junk (although I haven`t used them in a long time because of a bad experience). Sometimes you get what you pay for...when Bosch first came out with "platinum" plugs they were selling them at pretty much the same price as a junk plug ($1 ea.)...but I said to myself "they can`t be junk; they`re platinum"...I was wrong...they were junk.

Been a while. So, taking your experience into advisement, I called a buddy that remained at those labs.

According to what he said, price and value have little correlation. He asked that I not provide specific results online due to confidentiality. Specifically negative feedback from their testing.

However I can say that my earlier advice is still relevant and that Autolite is looking good these days. (that much has changed)

I can also say I personally use NGK whenever possible.
    Good driving and good listening!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleBuckett
    Been a while. So, taking your experience into advisement, I called a buddy that remained at those labs. According to what he said, price and value have little correlation.

All I know is...sometime in the `90`s, I got the original consumer Bosch Platinum plug for my GM car. I knew that GM was putting platinum plugs into new cars and saying you didn`t need to change them for 100,000 miles, so I figured I could go a bit longer than the 30,000 mile interval for my car. After about 45,000 miles, the car wasn`t running so good, and I started thinking about how these plugs didn`t cost any more than a regular plug, so I pulled them. Besides all of them having a deep crater worn in the side electrode, several of them were missing parts of the center electrode...which I can only presume went out the exhaust (hopefully not with the valve closing on them).

I learned two things from that experience: what a "double platinum" plug is, and never to use a Bosch plug again.

PS I did an internet search at the time and found a picture of the same plug that came out of a BMW bike IIRC, with about a 1/4" long piece of the center electrode hanging on the plug, waiting to fall off and trash the cylinder.

EDIT: I think this was it: Bosch Platinum Plug Failure I guess it wasn`t 1/4`` long...I just know several of mine didn`t have any center electrode at the end of the insulator, they had broken off at various depths inside the insulator.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is old but Heathenbrewing hit the nail on the head my mustang will only get copper.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information