Post Thanks / Like
    I have a co-worker who I don`t know well and can be difficult to get along with.

She has a blue 2006 Scion XB that she bought new. I am looking to buy myself, so we briefly had a common interest.

I asked her about her MPG`s, she started answering and was discussing the size of the gas tank...I think she thinks in terms of miles per "tank", her tank is 12 gallons and at 30 miles a gallon, she gets just over 300 miles per tank, which she is upset about, compared to her past vehicles it`s not that great, even though they had monstrous tanks, she`s not too bright.

So when she started complaining about the paint, I really had a hard time following her. She stated that she shoud have gotten the "paint protection" that Scion had offered her, because now her paint is peeling off......huh? I just nodded along and went about my day.

What the hell is she talking about??

Its only 2 years old, so even if she completely neglected the car (probable), and left it out in the Alabama sun, nothing should be "peeling off", right??

So as wacky as this chick is. I gotta ask...has any one seen any type of clearcoat failure on the Scion XB`s??

Thanks! :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot of xB`s around and have never seen one with cc failure. I don`t think any manufacturer puts on so little cc that it would fail in just two years.

She probably cleaned it with a shovel.
    -Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear. Yeah, I can`t imagine what she`s talking about. If it truly was failing, I would think that the 3/36 warranty would cover it.

Thanks for the response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t you walk out to the parking lot and look at it?

Post Thanks / Like
    We own a 2005 Tc and other than a lil mishap with the car in front of it and my teenager, the paint looks like new on the original sections, which is 85% of the car and to be honest, I dont think its been waxed more than 3 times in its entire life :hide: and its bright red.
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I own the same same color xB and its an `06.

Its a budget car, so I know the clear coat is thin....Im guessing just a few layers. But no failure at all. The paint itself is a "bit orange peel-ly", but again, its a Scion, not a Ferrari.

That said, the paint itself is still in great shape (thanks to the posters on autopia :woot2. Never garaged, wash weekly, klassed more than yearly (almost bi-yearly), endures San Diego sun and its a daily driver. Just recently switched to ONR and absolutely love the stuff!

But a pic is worth......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40
    Can`t you walk out to the parking lot and look at it?

yeah, that was my first thought, but I work at a downtown hospital, her daytime parking garage is like a mile from where I park, that and it was 98 degrees out, yuch, just easier to ask you guys.

BTW, I bought a Scion XB with Nippon`s "Mazoira Torched Penny" paint. It`s that cool "mystichrome" or "chameleon" paint, looks awesome, no flaws in the paint that I can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an RS 3.0 xB (2006) and the paint on it looks like new other than a couple of rock chips that needs fixing. Mine is garaged kept 99.7% of the times. The warranty should cover the paint, check with the dealership to see. Mine averages about 40-45 MPG depending on how much of a hurry I`m in. Waxing and keeping the paint clean and free of bird bombs and bugs helps a lot for the paint. I try to wash mine every week when possible, but I keep it well waxed to make cleaning the bugs and bird bombs easier.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Thread Information