Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been looking for a new set of wheels for my soon to be Scion XB.

I`ve always liked the chrome/polished aluminum look, but I`ve noticed that very few rims are available.

It seems that flat silvers, blacks, golds, polished lips seem to be the latest big trend. Is it because tastes have changed, or is it just easier to care for a wheel that is not "shiny"?

I`m looking at a set of 15" Motegi Racings SX5`s that come in chrome, I think they look awesome.

My last set of wheels were polished aluminum that were clearcoated, so really I treated them like I did the paint, due to the clearcoat. I just threw on some KAIO followed with AW and I was good to go.

How will taking care of real chrome differ?

Is it going to be a complete pain? Will I have to polish them often? What is the downside of having chrome?

I live in Alabama, so winters are not an issue.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Winter not being an issue is a good thing. I have driven my chrome wheels through some early snow and cringed the whole time. I always put the stock wheels back on in the winter.

In my experiance starting out with new chrome wheels I found that washing them with luke warm water and drying instantly has kept them in really good condition for 3 years now. And I only use microfiber towels. When they do get some grime I pre rinse, wash the same with a little megs gold class car wash for lubricity then dry the same. I use chrome polish about once a month and every now and then I clay them with the Sonus clay bar.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RDAVEX7
    Winter not being an issue is a good thing. I have driven my chrome wheels through some early snow and cringed the whole time. I always put the stock wheels back on in the winter.

In my experiance starting out with new chrome wheels I found that washing them with luke warm water and drying instantly has kept them in really good condition for 3 years now. And I only use microfiber towels. When they do get some grime I pre rinse, wash the same with a little megs gold class car wash for lubricity then dry the same. I use chrome polish about once a month and every now and then I clay them with the Sonus clay bar.

Cool, obviously if I`m on this forum I have no problem being a bit extra diligent taking care of them.

So there really is no inherent problem with chrome if its new and rust free, right?

Why do you think there are so few real chrome rims out there?

Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, just protection unless it`s a poorly chromed wheel. Wheels that use plastic chromed center caps dont respond well to most cleaners and start to flake. I found that out the hard way with my first set of chrome wheels.

I think chrome wheels arent as popular as they once were because of all the race style wheels available today made with carbon fiber, etc. Most chromed wheels are heavy and wieght is an issue for some guys. They also cost more. I have white TSW Revo`s on my Black RX-7 and the main reason I bought them is because of the wieght. They are around 6 lb`s each and I have some carbon fiber on the car so it was my intent to reduce wieght when I bought them. Painted and big is the thing now I guess. My chrome wheels are 22" and heavy as hell, but the durango will still make em smoke lol. Painted and flat black are in style right now up here.

Post Thanks / Like
    My two cents, but the chrome itself is extremely hard/durable. It`s not like clearcoated wheels that can scratch, mar, etc. You could probably use some pretty crummy brushes to clean chrome wheels without any marring. So anyway, they are easy to clean.

You do have to polish them now and then, though if the polish leaves protection behind, and you use mild products to clean them, you won`t have to do it often (a couple times a year possibly).

The thing that is hard to tell, is is it a cheap chrome job. Chrome can start to peel away, cutting into valve stems, tires, causing leaks, etc. If it`s a quality wheel maker offering it in chrome, it`s probably not a problem. If it`s an aftermarket eBay chrome job, well just be aware you take your chances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Motegi a reputable brand? Would you trust their chrome?

Thanks again for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Motegi is a big name in wheels. You should be alright. You could always call them and ask.
    -Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    I had heard good things about Motegi.

Check this out - ::. 360 FORGED .:: Awsome wheels and I love the website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRODEY1
    Is Motegi a reputable brand? Would you trust their chrome?

Thanks again for the help!

I have a set of there chrome wheels ( 2yrs and counting) with no problems.
    " customize your ride "

-- visit us online --

www.TRIPLEXDECALS.com

Thread Information