Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`Diesel1`]......

ISSUE: On the chrome molding around the windows, there is basically I guess acid rain damage. I haven`t looked at the molding close enough to determine if it is chrome or annodize aluminum. I may be leaning towards annodized aluminum which may be clearcoated. That said, there are basically stains that look like water puddles (Possibly etched) all over the trim. Kind of gives a blotchy hazy appearance. Has anyone encountered this before and if so, how did you remove it without damaging the molding. I have pretty much every product and detailing tool at my disposal (For a weekend warrior anyway). I am willing to add to the collection if you guys know of product that will help. I did a test spot with a little polish and it didn`t seem to budge it.....

[QUOTE]

Came across this old thread and reckoned that this kinda problem (above) is still rampant on neglected Continental cars and since I do lotsa Audis and Contis that hv this problem, I wd like to share a few tips with everyone.

Forget about those common metal and aluminium polishes from Megs, Mothers, Eagle One etc etc. I hv tried most of em, and it doesn`t work. Of course, forget about Klasse AIO.

Forget about using hand-application using those products above to remove the acid-rain etching.

Forget about claying, thinners, other solvents and even household hard water-spot removers.

1. Carefully mask all surrounding areas (paint and glass) next to the chrome or aluminium trim.

2. Put a few drops of Megs 85 Diamond Cut onto the trim and spread it using fingers.

3. Small wool pad, Makita rotary speed 3-4, very light pressure.

If you cant get decent results, upgrade to Megs 105 or even the super abrasive Farecla G3.

4. Finish down with foam pad with Megs 205.

5. Protect with a durable LSP (FK1000, Rejex, Coli 845 etc)

These acid-rain etched trims are very expensive to replace, and many customers hv asked me to try my best to "rescue" these trims. They`ll accept anything other than that ugly water-spotted look that appears like whitish fungus.

The above technique produced a significantly noticeable improvement, and many car owners (by word of mouth) hv come to me specifically seeking this kinda treatment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigondaz
    [1. Carefully mask all surrounding areas (paint and glass) next to the chrome or aluminium trim.

2. Put a few drops of Megs 85 Diamond Cut onto the trim and spread it using fingers.

3. Small wool pad, Makita rotary speed 3-4, very light pressure.

If you cant get decent results, upgrade to Megs 105 or even the super abrasive Farecla G3.

4. Finish down with foam pad with Megs 205.

5. Protect with a durable LSP (FK1000, Rejex, Coli 845 etc)

How long does that last? When I polished such trim it stayed nice for a while but then needed redone frequently, and if not redone looked worse than the "before". So I`ve only done it on really trashed vehicles (never my own, that`s for sure ).

I`ve been thinking that something like ZoopSeal might keep `em nice longer.

These acid-rain etched trims are very expensive to replace, and many customers hv asked me to try my best to "rescue" these trims. They`ll accept anything other than that ugly water-spotted look that appears like whitish fungus.

And note that the replacement pieces from Audi often arrive already compromised, at least when shipped to the US. I simply *cannot* get perfect pieces for D2-series cars, very frustrating. After numerous replacements I just grumble and live with it (ditto for side glass of all things!).

You must deal with some *REALLY* nasty ones, to have that "fungus"-look level of corrosion No wonder the polishing approach makes `em happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    How long does that last? When I polished such trim it stayed nice for a while but then needed redone frequently, and if not redone looked worse than the "before". So I`ve only done it on really trashed vehicles (never my own, that`s for sure ).

I`ve been thinking that something like ZoopSeal might keep `em nice longer.

And note that the replacement pieces from Audi often arrive already compromised, at least when shipped to the US. I simply *cannot* get perfect pieces for D2-series cars, very frustrating. After numerous replacements I just grumble and live with it (ditto for side glass of all things!).

You must deal with some *REALLY* nasty ones, to have that "fungus"-look level of corrosion No wonder the polishing approach makes `em happy!

It has been 6-7mths in hot, rainy, humid weather, and those trim pieces are still looking great.

100% no deterioration. Maybe that`s due to the 2 layers of REJEX that was applied, after removing those nasty acid-rain etching marks.

This technique was also used on older BMWs (esp E39s) with great success, and this is one of the reasons why the car owners referred me to other big detailing jobs.

Yeah, you`re correct. Those trim pieces were horrible, and were the most horrid items on the car body.

Those pieces were the 1st thing that I attended to after claying the entire car, and before even starting the compounding process.

Seeing those pieces restored to a healthy stain-free gleam really puts you in the MOOD to start compounding the entire car LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigondaz
    It has been 6-7mths in hot, rainy, humid weather, and those trim pieces are still looking great.

100% no deterioration. Maybe that`s due to the 2 layers of REJEX that was applied...

Cool! I`d try to stay one step ahead of the game if you can, redoing the REJEX or somesuch before any corrosion gets started again.

Yeah, you`re correct. Those trim pieces were horrible, and were the most horrid items on the car body..

I basically *NEVER* see used A8/S8s (of the D2 series that I like) without such damage, every single one of `em The replacement pieces on my S8 (from the Deer Incident) have only been washed a few times and sealed with UPP (so zero abrasion/environmental damage) yet they`re far from perfect.

Seeing those pieces restored to a healthy stain-free gleam really puts you in the MOOD to start compounding the entire car LOL.

Heh heh, spoken like a true Autopian! Eh, gotta admit that *NOTHING in this world really gets me in the mood to do any of this stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooops....pls go to Detailing Guides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information