Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booooooost

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, that $60 piece of steel is what all my mods have been in preparation for. The brakes, the suspension, the intake, the exhaust, the tuner, etc

Plan for the Buick this Saturday:

-wake up

-colder plugs

-new plug wires

-Denso O2 sensor

-Beer

-coolant flush with G05 (no more dexcool)

-180* thermostat

-Scan

-Supercharger pulley

-Beer

-Scan some more

-Tune

Post Thanks / Like
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm smaller pulley.

good luck!

I ran G05 in my Corrado, which was a boosted machine as well. Smaller pulleys sure are fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm smaller pulley.

good luck!

I ran G05 in my Corrado, which was a boosted machine as well. Smaller pulleys sure are fun.

Sure are, can`t wait to get that wagon wheel off the blower!

Post Thanks / Like
    should be fun

did you get the exhaust finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    should be fun

did you get the exhaust finished?

The exhaust itself is done and the bumper inserts are painted and curing. I`m keeping the other thread updated. Should be installing them in Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lemme know how it turns out! I`ve always been afraid of pullying my GP, but if it`s risk-free, I would love it.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victory
    The exhaust itself is done and the bumper inserts are painted and curing. I`m keeping the other thread updated. Should be installing them in Friday.

yea I have been watching the other thread

looks like you are doing a great job

keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like
    That Buick logo in the pinstripe is cool. Good luck with the mods, sounds fun! I`ve been wondering about some cheap mods for our GS, my wife was talking about wanting to dragrace some, and why not start small with the car she already drives to see how she enjoys it. I`m worried about the 185,000 miles on the car though! Not so sure I should mess with what ain`t broke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Lemme know how it turns out! I`ve always been afraid of pullying my GP, but if it`s risk-free, I would love it.

It`s not risk free, hence, why i scan the car a bunch before and after the swap. You need a few supporting mods done to the engine to do it safely

A good start would be with an aftermarket cold air intake, a 3" downpipe, resonator delete, 180* thermostat, colder plugs and a PCM. Find someone with a scanner to tell you if the knock sensor is retarding your timing and if it`s not, you`re ready for a slightly smaller pulley. Scan again to see if you`re still knock free after the swap and if you have some, either get it tuned or add some more supporting mods like ported exhaust manifolds or headers. Gets the car into the 13`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40
    That Buick logo in the pinstripe is cool. Good luck with the mods, sounds fun! I`ve been wondering about some cheap mods for our GS, my wife was talking about wanting to dragrace some, and why not start small with the car she already drives to see how she enjoys it. I`m worried about the 185,000 miles on the car though! Not so sure I should mess with what ain`t broke!

RegalGS.org we have some guys running fast cars with nearly twice your mileage. the 3800 is essentially bombproof if you do your part. If you don`t go much faster than mid-high 13`s than the transmission shouldn`t give you any problems either.

Mods for the 3800 are dirt cheap. Intake is $200, downpipe is $230, my catback was less than $400 all said and done, Impala police swaybars/trailing arms/strut tower brace was $150, 12" brake upgrade with braided stainless lines is about $350, tuning interface/software can be pricey ($500+) but an off the shelf PCM is only $100.

If you do anything, the downpipe is good bang for the buck and removes the incredibly restrictive u-bend. Something like a wizaired intake is also a good mod and opening up the intake gives a pleasant supercharged scream at WOT. both mods, if anything will increase your MPG`s a bit. You can also do free things like rotating the upper motor mounts 90 degrees too...believe it or not, it makes the car launch a fair bit harder.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like the pulley is gonna have to wait. After doing the tune up we went around and scanned, and my 02`s at WOT were about 870, they should be between 940 and 960. Need to tune the PCMand get it running a bit on the rich side, since the added boost will lean it out far to much as is.

Better to delay satisfaction and not pop a piston.

Post Thanks / Like
    was not expecting to see something like this here at all.

good luck with the pulley swap and mods.

as for the 3800...as was said it will go forever. dropping pulley sizes though takes some smarts about you. hit up the regal site as was mentioned, Club Grand Prix! Your online Grand Prix & G8 resource there are also many state GP sites as well as many 3800 specific sites. ZZP and Intense are the big players in parts for the engine and GP. there is also w-body store and PFYC.

i ran mine last summer stock and hope to do it again this summer stock. while not slow i was also not fast. still had a blast for sure.

i ran 14.5 at 95 with my stock car. 02 GTP 40th Anniversary Coupe.

Monty
    2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniversary Coupe

It`s Dark Cherry Metallic and NOT Purple, Plum, Maroon or whatever other color comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know narrowband O2`s are pretty inaccurate right? The difference between 870 and 940 could just be the sensors are old or something. I wouldn`t assume that means it is leaner than when they were reading 940mV. You might want to invest in a wideband O2 if you plan on making fueling adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40
    You know narrowband O2`s are pretty inaccurate right? The difference between 870 and 940 could just be the sensors are old or something. I wouldn`t assume that means it is leaner than when they were reading 940mV. You might want to invest in a wideband O2 if you plan on making fueling adjustments.

Brand new Denso O2 sensor. You can make decent estimates with the narrowband. If you want to get it perfect, yeah, spend $400 on a wideband. For my mod level, that`s about $400 more than i need to spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to drag it out, but why do you say they make for decent estimates? What A/F ratio would you say 870mV roughly relates to, and what does 940mV relate to? Have you ever heard of anyone doing wideband and narrowband comparisons to validate that the difference between high 800`s and mid 900`s actually means anything?

You don`t have to spend $400. You could probably spend $70 at a dyno facility and get a few dyno pulls and the wideband data to accompany them. Changing the fueling without a wideband seems like a bad idea to me though. You`ve obviously spent some money to be able to tune your PCM, a little extra to find out how that tune is working seems like a good investment. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information