Post Thanks / Like
    SHopping for 2 sets of new tires.

After alot of soul searching i came down to these two.

These are affordable so i need your opinions between the two.

Any opinions between the two? which one should i pick? I`m getting these from tirerack.com and having it deliver to my dealer for installation. Any personal experience with one of these tires? I`m running on 215/55/17 on a g35sedan.

thanks

Using Cookies

and can some1 tell me the difference between the Ultra High Performance All Season vs Grand Touring ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the ASX`s on my Evo for a while. Fairly good all season performance tire and actually GREAT in the snow. The ASX`s will probably have better handling over the Avons as they are a ultra high performance all season. That means they will handle better than a grand touring. I currently have Toyo Proxes 4`s and they are really good tires. Only used them in the snow once, but they handle much better than the ASX`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avon 550`s! Best tires I`ve ever had in my life! I had the Avon 500`s for summer and 550`s for winter and loved them both.

I had Kumho`s on a civic several years back and refuse to ever run them again. I`ve heard they`ve gotten better but mine where horrible and tracked all over the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had both tires.

The Avon`s were great at first. Very quiet tires. However, right off the bat they felt very heavy (which they were). After about 10K miles they started wearing un-evenly which made them very loud. I finally had to replace them at 25K. I`d like to also note that I rotated them every 5K miles.

The Kuhmo`s are very nice. Good weight. Not loud. I think they`ve gotten a little louder over the last 15K miles, but nothing un-bearable. The only problem is that they are wearing FAST. We`ll probably have to replace them in no more than 10K miles. These tires on my wife`s car and she`s very easy on the car.

In my experience, it`s a toss-up. I`ll probably go with a Michelin tire next time around, despite the high cost.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    If your tires are wearing so fast could it be a suspension / alignment problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Yeah, you are right. I ended up selling the car that I had the Avon`s on after I put new tires on it.

The Kuhmo`s are on our `05 Mazda3 with 42K miles on the odo (15K on the tires).
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    ^^ Yeah, you are right. I ended up selling the car that I had the Avon`s on after I put new tires on it.

The Kuhmo`s are on our `05 Mazda3 with 42K miles on the odo (15K on the tires).

I bet if you got the Mazda aligned the tires might not wear so fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should probably do that. The tires are rated at 30K but they seem to be wearing a little too fast to last till 30K. Thanks.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine were looking great after 15k, but they got slashed, so thats why I had to replace them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a GS400 and if you want a great ultra high performance all season I would recommend looking at the Bridgestone RE960. Absolutely fantastic wet traction, rides good, quiet, and rated for 40,000 miles. If I get 30,000 (and after 15K it definitely looks like I will easily get 30K) then I will not hesitate to get them again.

The difference in ultra high performance and grand touring is primarily speed rating and traction. The RE960 is not a cheap tire but it is hard to get a high peformance tire with good durability, handling and quiet ride characteristics. The main reason I got the tire was for wet weather traction....I can`t stand a tire that makes me change my driving style dramatically for wet weather.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTitan
    I have a GS400 and if you want a great ultra high performance all season I would recommend looking at the Bridgestone RE960. Absolutely fantastic wet traction, rides good, quiet, and rated for 40,000 miles. If I get 30,000 (and after 15K it definitely looks like I will easily get 30K) then I will not hesitate to get them again.

The difference in ultra high performance and grand touring is primarily speed rating and traction. The RE960 is not a cheap tire but it is hard to get a high peformance tire with good durability, handling and quiet ride characteristics. The main reason I got the tire was for wet weather traction....I can`t stand a tire that makes me change my driving style dramatically for wet weather.

I wanna replace my crappy Goodyear Eagles with those Bridgestones. I don`t feel as comfortable as I should when driving in the rain on the highway with my current tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Avon`s in an 04 GTO I used to own. I had them for a few thousand miles and I had nothing, but issues with them. These tires are really difficult to balance. I had to return 2 of the 4 original tires, because the force balance numbers were really high. Michelins and Yokos get the best best force balance numbers (from personal experience). My tire shop told me that Avons used to be awesome until Cooper tire bought the company and started making the tires in the US.

My 2 cents,

Gianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTitan

The RE960 is my performance all season of choice. I think bridgestone is offering a $75 amex gift card if you buy a set, which does knock a bit off the price (use the gift car to buy detailing supplies ). Get them from tirerack.

Thread Information